Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Coburn 4 days 1 hour ago #450554

• mm52
  • Thank you received: 158
In seeing how Wheeler and, to some extent, Soriano have started to play better, I thought to myself how much better the team is playing--more speed, effort, etc--than in the cupcake games.  I wish we had played one or two less cupcake games to give us a better tuneup before BE play.  Oh well.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Section3, Amaseinyourface, Not an alum, NCJohnnie

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Coburn 3 days 21 hours ago #450579

• Monte
  • Thank you received: 7499

lawmanfan post=450552 wrote:

Monte post=450549 wrote: Now, what's up with Nyiwe? 

We will sell no wine before its time.  He clearly isn't ready yet, and on that on you may be correct that he will never be. But I am not ready to close the book on him just yet.

So you're not ready to close the book on Nyiwe, and I'm not ready to open the book(mob pun intended) for Wheeler. Seems reasonable. 
The following user(s) said Thank You: lawmanfan

Coburn 3 days 21 hours ago #450584

• Paultzman
  • Thank you received: 27667
Monte; “So you're not ready to close the book on Nyiwe, and I'm not ready to open the book(mob pun intended) for Wheeler. Seems reasonable.”

Attachments:

Last edit: by Paultzman.

Coburn 3 days 20 hours ago #450600

• SJU85
  • Thank you received: 1490

SJU61982 post=450519 wrote:

Section3 post=450502 wrote:

Boo Harvey post=450476 wrote:

Duke of Earlington post=450466 wrote:

Johnny4Life post=450463 wrote: I remember watching some of the games early in the season thinking Coburn was going to be a 6th man or a third scoring option for this team. Someone with decent length and can knock down the 3 ball with consistency. However, he has gotten zero playing time. Does anyone know why? 

He was pretty bad when he played.  But I agree.  Got to give him some minute and see if he can improve.  Mathis provides zero shooting and you cant play posh, mathis and wusu at the same time anymore.  The def does not have to respect any of these guys shooting.  Its killing us.

Why is Stef Smith in the dog house?

Routinely gets lost on defense. Unfortunately, he is one of the few potential outside threats so we need him

And that's my main problem with Anderson.  He doesn't seem to care about the offensive side of the ball.  He also seems love guys who practice hard, which I'm sure Wusu and Mathis do.  

That's great, but that should also only get you so far.  Wusu especially reminds me of Andre Stanley, if you remember him, in the fact that the coaching staff probably fell a bit too in love with guy's practice habits, and wanted to send a message to guys on the team, who maybe didn't work as hard.  The problem is, either the message was not received, or it was overemphasized, because Stanley played too much, and it felt like we were going 4 on 5 offensively.  Same with Wusu, IMO.

Wusu reminds you of Stanley????  Wusu, for all of his mistakes and dumb fouls, still is able to make plays, has hit big shots (big three last night) and make plays for others.  Stanley was an empty uniform on the offensive end who if went unguarded for forty minutes, still couldn't score twenty points.  Nice background story on his challenges and his commitment but c'mon.

Wusu is still just a sophomore and is learning and will get better. 
The following user(s) said Thank You: Section3, IDRAFT, RedStormRising, Andrew, NCJohnnie

Coburn 3 days 20 hours ago #450601

• Monte
  • Thank you received: 7499

Paultzman post=450584 wrote: Monte; “So you're not ready to close the book on Nyiwe, and I'm not ready to open the book(mob pun intended) for Wheeler. Seems reasonable.”

hahaha

Coburn 3 days 16 hours ago #450630

• Delaware
  • Thank you received: 896

SJU85 post=450600 wrote:

SJU61982 post=450519 wrote:

Section3 post=450502 wrote:

Boo Harvey post=450476 wrote:

Duke of Earlington post=450466 wrote:

Johnny4Life post=450463 wrote: I remember watching some of the games early in the season thinking Coburn was going to be a 6th man or a third scoring option for this team. Someone with decent length and can knock down the 3 ball with consistency. However, he has gotten zero playing time. Does anyone know why? 

He was pretty bad when he played.  But I agree.  Got to give him some minute and see if he can improve.  Mathis provides zero shooting and you cant play posh, mathis and wusu at the same time anymore.  The def does not have to respect any of these guys shooting.  Its killing us.

Why is Stef Smith in the dog house?

Routinely gets lost on defense. Unfortunately, he is one of the few potential outside threats so we need him

And that's my main problem with Anderson.  He doesn't seem to care about the offensive side of the ball.  He also seems love guys who practice hard, which I'm sure Wusu and Mathis do.  

That's great, but that should also only get you so far.  Wusu especially reminds me of Andre Stanley, if you remember him, in the fact that the coaching staff probably fell a bit too in love with guy's practice habits, and wanted to send a message to guys on the team, who maybe didn't work as hard.  The problem is, either the message was not received, or it was overemphasized, because Stanley played too much, and it felt like we were going 4 on 5 offensively.  Same with Wusu, IMO.

Wusu reminds you of Stanley????  Wusu, for all of his mistakes and dumb fouls, still is able to make plays, has hit big shots (big three last night) and make plays for others.  Stanley was an empty uniform on the offensive end who if went unguarded for forty minutes, still couldn't score twenty points.  Nice background story on his challenges and his commitment but c'mon.

Wusu is still just a sophomore and is learning and will get better. 

I sure hope so.

Coburn 2 days 18 hours ago #450666

• Johnny4Life
  • Johnny4Life's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 36

Ray Morgan post=450492 wrote: NY Post had an article today on the under performance of the transfers. Point was made that the fast pace St, John's plays is not a fit for Coburn. Max Hooper 2.0

Then why use a scholarship on him if you're not going to play him at all? It's not like we are playing lights out defense with current rotation. Lately we are not even attempting to pressure as much as I thought we would when coach came on board. I thought we would be running about 10 deep to allow the team to pressure and wear the opposition down. 

So if we aren't going to do this, we might as well get some scorers going. I'd love to see what a rotation of Posh, Wusu, Coburn, Champ, Wheeler and Soriano could do on the offensive end.  
The following user(s) said Thank You: capmaker

Coburn 2 days 18 hours ago #450667

• JohnnyFan
  • Thank you received: 4154
Sense Coburn provides depth and insurance (in case of an injury), but not an answer for the rotation.  
The following user(s) said Thank You: Paultzman, SJU85, stjohnnie75, mm52

Last edit: by JohnnyFan.
Moderators: mkras99SJUFAN2espkengmanlawmanfankranmarsOhioFanotisredmannorthKnight