Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Wusu earned the starting 2 spot last night 1 month 1 week ago #445419

• MarkRedman
  • Thank you received: 3255
We're almost a quarter of the way through the season. I think we've seen enough to get a preliminary feel for what we have/don't have with this team. I am very disappointed with the overall play of Soriano, Smith, Wheeler and Coburn. Each have had some good moments but, in general, I expected much more production from each of them than they have delivered.

Unlike some posters, I'm not caught up in who starts. I'm more interested in how many minutes each guys plays. The guys who are "junkyard dog" types should get the bulk of the minutes IMO. These guys are Champ, Posh and Wusu. I would also put Mathis in that blue collar category. He is a good defender and slashes well to the hoop but should not be permitted to shoot from the outside. Believe it or not, I like Nywie's willingness to stick his nose into things in the lane but it appears that he's just learning how to play basketball. I believe that he has good upside if the coaches can work with him.Soriano is soft and Wheeler appears to have no interest in playing inside, which renders him close to useless.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Monte, section10, IDRAFT, Rehobie, Andrew

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last edit: by MarkRedman.

Wusu earned the starting 2 spot last night 1 month 1 week ago #445423

• Enright
  • Thank you received: 796
The SJU roster is filled with players who will have a good game followed by three or four bad games and then another good  one. This is their talent level. The top recruits will give you a good performance just about every game but SJU probably has one player of that talent level.
This will continue for the entire season and will make Anderson’s job very difficult in establishing a starting lineup and the minutes allocated each player.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Monte

Wusu earned the starting 2 spot last night 1 month 1 week ago #445439

• Knight
  • Away
  • Thank you received: 2713
I wish we had a forward with Wusu’s heart and tough nosed approach to playing.  We need someone to rebound, and Posh is our most consistent player to attack the rim.

Wusu earned the starting 2 spot last night 1 month 1 week ago #445440

• Monte
  • Thank you received: 7499

Knight post=445439 wrote: I wish we had a forward with Wusu’s heart and tough nosed approach to playing.  We need someone to rebound, and Posh is our most consistent player to attack the rim.

We had one, he headed west 
The following user(s) said Thank You: Knight

Wusu earned the starting 2 spot last night 1 month 1 week ago #445453

• MarkRedman
  • Thank you received: 3255

Enright post=445423 wrote: The SJU roster is filled with players who will have a good game followed by three or four bad games and then another good  one. This is their talent level. The top recruits will give you a good performance just about every game but SJU probably has one player of that talent level.
This will continue for the entire season and will make Anderson’s job very difficult in establishing a starting lineup and the minutes allocated each player.

Look at which teams they play well against and which teams they don't
Some played well versus cupcakes but not against Indiana and Kansas
That tells you a lot about their talent level
It's not a random up and down thing

The following user(s) said Thank You: RedStormRising

Last edit: by MarkRedman.

Wusu earned the starting 2 spot last night 1 month 1 week ago #445581

• Duke of Earlington
  • Duke of Earlington's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 915
And now Nyiwe earned the starting center spot tonight moving forward.

Wusu earned the starting 2 spot last night 1 month 1 week ago #445606

• Boo Harvey
  • Thank you received: 1060

MarkRedman post=445453 wrote:

Enright post=445423 wrote: The SJU roster is filled with players who will have a good game followed by three or four bad games and then another good  one. This is their talent level. The top recruits will give you a good performance just about every game but SJU probably has one player of that talent level.

Look at which teams they play well against and which teams they don't
Some played well versus cupcakes but not against Indiana and Kansas
That tells you a lot about their talent level
It's not a random up and down thing

Well, Smith had his best game against Indiana

The following user(s) said Thank You: Andrew

Wusu earned the starting 2 spot last night 1 month 1 week ago #445607

• mjmaherjr
  • Thank you received: 8330
Wusu is going to have a fantastic junior and senior year. Once he puts it all together tightens his handle I think he has an extremely high ceiling. He has great natural court vision plus he is great at driving to his right and is banging down 3's. He just needs to avoid the fallaway jumper
The following user(s) said Thank You: Monte, IDRAFT, RedStormRising, ctstorm, Andrew, L J S A, Making Plays

Wusu earned the starting 2 spot last night 1 month 1 week ago #445614

• Monte
  • Thank you received: 7499

mjmaherjr post=445607 wrote: Wusu is going to have a fantastic junior and senior year. Once he puts it all together tightens his handle I think he has an extremely high ceiling. He has great natural court vision plus he is great at driving to his right and is banging down 3's. He just needs to avoid the fallaway jumper

Agreed, just wish we weren't forced to start him due to lack of talent. Love the spark he provides off the bench, and for now think he's better suited for that role. Had a great game tonight but let's not forget who the comp was, a mediocre-bad mid-major. 

Wusu earned the starting 2 spot last night 1 month 1 week ago #445640

• Beast of the East
  • Thank you received: 6035
I went to some practices last year pre season, and all I can tell you is that the buzz was that he was going to be a star here in a year or two.   His ceiling is no surprise.  He just has to put it all together consistently.

Moderators: mkras99SJUFAN2espkengmanlawmanfankranmarsOhioFanotisredmannorthKnight