Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Anderson - is he really the guy ? 1 month 1 week ago #445432

  • Las Vegan
  • Las Vegan's Avatar
  • Offline
  • Posts: 954
  • Thank you received: 420

Monte post=445400 wrote:

Beast of the East post=445391 wrote: Patience.  Patience.  Patience.

Let coach coach, players play, and we root.

Beast I think this is what you're trying to say;  



Insanity later
 

The following user(s) said Thank You: Monte

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Anderson - is he really the guy ? 1 month 1 week ago #445435

  • Ray Morgan
  • Ray Morgan's Avatar
  • Away
  • Posts: 2201
  • Thank you received: 1521
CMA's system can work. Problem is you need high level athletes that are long  and quick and can run the floor. You need to have good defensive instincts to succeed in his system. Moore was a high level athlete that ran the floor well and was long. G Will had elite athleticism when he wasn't hurt. Earlington was a good athlete. I'm still not sure how well Soriano fits in this system.  I think Pinzon and Stanley are good fits and will improve with experience. Not so sure about the transfers. Besides having less athleticism, I don't see the passion this season that the team had last year and even the year before. There is a lot of dirty looks and bickering between players on turnovers. I don't remember that last season.

What has changed since CMA's early years coaching is that players have no loyalty or school pride. I blame that on international ball. Players feel the need to showcase themselves for their future pro careers, whether in Beijing or Bosnia. Every player we lost went to a lesser program. Earlington made it clear he was leaving to be showcased more. Like a lot of things, this trend hurts a coach like CMA that really needs continuity to succeed. Now if he was reloading with 4 star talent, that's a different story.
The following user(s) said Thank You: RedStormRising

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last edit: by Ray Morgan.

Anderson - is he really the guy ? 1 month 1 week ago #445436

  • Knight
  • Knight's Avatar
  • Offline
  • Posts: 7372
  • Thank you received: 2713
If the coach doesn’t have the players to work in his system, then he has to change his plans.  At this level you don’t have the luxury of being stubborn.
The following user(s) said Thank You: section10

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Anderson - is he really the guy ? 1 month 1 week ago #445438

  • Monte
  • Monte's Avatar
  • Away
  • Posts: 8283
  • Thank you received: 7499

Knight post=445436 wrote: If the coach doesn’t have the players to work in his system, then he has to change his plans.  At this level you don’t have the luxury of being stubborn.

I  may be wrong, but my sense is that this team was assembled quickly with the best available options, once last year's kids started departing. Unlike others, I have a hard time believing that all of these kids were hand chosen by CMA because they fit his style of play. Let's face facts, this year's newcomers feature 3 low ranked recruits, one mystery man, 2 players who were bench players at mediocre high majors, and 3 kids who were decent contributors at a much lower level. All the newcomers except for Wheeler and Mathis came with big question marks about whether or not they could contribute at this level. There was not one kid who we knew could be plugged in and would be a significant contributor from day 1. That is not recruiting with a plan, that is recruiting on a wing and a prayer. 
The following user(s) said Thank You: redmannorth, IDRAFT, RedStormRising, Ray Morgan, RedStormNC

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last edit: by Monte.

Anderson - is he really the guy ? 1 month 1 week ago #445441

  • RedStormNC
  • RedStormNC's Avatar Topic Author
  • Offline
  • Posts: 3676
  • Thank you received: 2826
Well said Monte.

And this is the danger w/ transfers...aside from needing to find kids quickly that might look ok on paper but not fit your desired style..you run the risk of upper classmen playing for gleague or international.

Flip side is a bunch of unheralded freshman can drive you crazy watching them go thru learning curve.
 
The following user(s) said Thank You: Monte

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Anderson - is he really the guy ? 1 month 1 week ago #445622

  • Ray Morgan
  • Ray Morgan's Avatar
  • Away
  • Posts: 2201
  • Thank you received: 1521

Monte post=445438 wrote:

Knight post=445436 wrote: If the coach doesn’t have the players to work in his system, then he has to change his plans.  At this level you don’t have the luxury of being stubborn.

I  may be wrong, but my sense is that this team was assembled quickly with the best available options, once last year's kids started departing. Unlike others, I have a hard time believing that all of these kids were hand chosen by CMA because they fit his style of play. Let's face facts, this year's newcomers feature 3 low ranked recruits, one mystery man, 2 players who were bench players at mediocre high majors, and 3 kids who were decent contributors at a much lower level. All the newcomers except for Wheeler and Mathis came with big question marks about whether or not they could contribute at this level. There was not one kid who we knew could be plugged in and would be a significant contributor from day 1. That is not recruiting with a plan, that is recruiting on a wing and a prayer. 

Desperate times require desperate measures. CMA had a ton of sports to fill and did what he could to fill them. Filling minutes was accomplished, filling needs not so sure. 

The following user(s) said Thank You: RedStormRising

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Anderson - is he really the guy ? 1 month 1 week ago #445623

  • Monte
  • Monte's Avatar
  • Away
  • Posts: 8283
  • Thank you received: 7499

Ray Morgan post=445622 wrote:

Monte post=445438 wrote:

Knight post=445436 wrote: If the coach doesn’t have the players to work in his system, then he has to change his plans.  At this level you don’t have the luxury of being stubborn.

I  may be wrong, but my sense is that this team was assembled quickly with the best available options, once last year's kids started departing. Unlike others, I have a hard time believing that all of these kids were hand chosen by CMA because they fit his style of play. Let's face facts, this year's newcomers feature 3 low ranked recruits, one mystery man, 2 players who were bench players at mediocre high majors, and 3 kids who were decent contributors at a much lower level. All the newcomers except for Wheeler and Mathis came with big question marks about whether or not they could contribute at this level. There was not one kid who we knew could be plugged in and would be a significant contributor from day 1. That is not recruiting with a plan, that is recruiting on a wing and a prayer. 

Desperate times require desperate measures. CMA had a ton of sports to fill and did what he could to fill them. Filling minutes was accomplished, filling needs not so sure. 

Agreed Ray, but coaches don't get rewarded for effort, they get rewarded for results. Oh wait, except at SJU where you get rewarded with an extension without even dancing once. 
The following user(s) said Thank You: AJ Hidell

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Anderson - is he really the guy ? 1 month 1 week ago #445628

  • Duke of Earlington
  • Duke of Earlington's Avatar
  • Offline
  • Posts: 2049
  • Thank you received: 915
I have to give coach credit tonight.  Things just werent working and instead of doing the same thing over and over again, he put 2 new guys in the starting lineup and cut back on the bench minutes.  That was the difference in this game.  

Excited to see the new starting 5 Wed night against a tough Monmouth team.  A few more games for them to gel before the start of the big east.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Rehobie

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Anderson - is he really the guy ? 1 month 1 week ago #445629

  • Ray Morgan
  • Ray Morgan's Avatar
  • Away
  • Posts: 2201
  • Thank you received: 1521

Monte post=445623 wrote:

Ray Morgan post=445622 wrote:

Monte post=445438 wrote:

Knight post=445436 wrote: If the coach doesn’t have the players to work in his system, then he has to change his plans.  At this level you don’t have the luxury of being stubborn.

I  may be wrong, but my sense is that this team was assembled quickly with the best available options, once last year's kids started departing. Unlike others, I have a hard time believing that all of these kids were hand chosen by CMA because they fit his style of play. Let's face facts, this year's newcomers feature 3 low ranked recruits, one mystery man, 2 players who were bench players at mediocre high majors, and 3 kids who were decent contributors at a much lower level. All the newcomers except for Wheeler and Mathis came with big question marks about whether or not they could contribute at this level. There was not one kid who we knew could be plugged in and would be a significant contributor from day 1. That is not recruiting with a plan, that is recruiting on a wing and a prayer. 

Desperate times require desperate measures. CMA had a ton of sports to fill and did what he could to fill them. Filling minutes was accomplished, filling needs not so sure. 

Agreed Ray, but coaches don't get rewarded for effort, they get rewarded for results. Oh wait, except at SJU where you get rewarded with an extension without even dancing once. 

In the end,  players win games more than coaches.  If CMA is limited to bringing in 3 star payers,  he will not last past his contract.  Some posters want to believe the ratings don't count. The services will underestimate a 3 star sometimes and overrate a 4 star on occasion, but Self and Calipari don't knock on 3 star player's doors figuring the services are wrong.  As you say, CMA doesn't deserve a pass for effort.  He has to win, and in the Big East, you need great players to do that.
 

The following user(s) said Thank You: Monte, RedStormRising

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Anderson - is he really the guy ? 1 month 1 week ago #445635

  • Porgyman
  • Porgyman's Avatar
  • Offline
  • Posts: 897
  • Thank you received: 399

Ray Morgan post=445629 wrote:

Monte post=445623 wrote:

Ray Morgan post=445622 wrote:

Monte post=445438 wrote:

Knight post=445436 wrote: If the coach doesn’t have the players to work in his system, then he has to change his plans.  At this level you don’t have the luxury of being stubborn.

I  may be wrong, but my sense is that this team was assembled quickly with the best available options, once last year's kids started departing. Unlike others, I have a hard time believing that all of these kids were hand chosen by CMA because they fit his style of play. Let's face facts, this year's newcomers feature 3 low ranked recruits, one mystery man, 2 players who were bench players at mediocre high majors, and 3 kids who were decent contributors at a much lower level. All the newcomers except for Wheeler and Mathis came with big question marks about whether or not they could contribute at this level. There was not one kid who we knew could be plugged in and would be a significant contributor from day 1. That is not recruiting with a plan, that is recruiting on a wing and a prayer. 

Desperate times require desperate measures. CMA had a ton of sports to fill and did what he could to fill them. Filling minutes was accomplished, filling needs not so sure. 

Agreed Ray, but coaches don't get rewarded for effort, they get rewarded for results. Oh wait, except at SJU where you get rewarded with an extension without even dancing once. 

In the end,  players win games more than coaches.  If CMA is limited to bringing in 3 star payers,  he will not last past his contract.  Some posters want to believe the ratings don't count. The services will underestimate a 3 star sometimes and overrate a 4 star on occasion, but Self and Calipari don't knock on 3 star player's doors figuring the services are wrong.  As you say, CMA doesn't deserve a pass for effort.  He has to win, and in the Big East, you need great players to do that.

 

Self and Calipari don’t knock on 3 star recruits doors because they coach at Kansas and Kentucky. We are nowhere near either. 
The following user(s) said Thank You: Beast of the East

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Moderators: mkras99SJUFAN2espkengmanlawmanfankranmarsOhioFanotisredmannorthKnight