Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Questions/Concerns about this team.. 1 month 2 weeks ago #444621

• fordham96
  • Thank you received: 2595
Definitely an apples to apples comparison.

richard A Steinfeld post=444620
The 85 final four team lost to Niagara.
The following user(s) said Thank You: RedStormRising

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Questions/Concerns about this team.. 1 month 2 weeks ago #444634

• Ray Morgan
  • Thank you received: 1521

Beast of the East post=444604 wrote: Just was thinking that back in the 70s,  (not the age, the decade), I went to a ton of games where our very talented teams were locked in these games against inferior teams that were 1 or 2 possession games with 5 or 6 minutes to play.   Invariably they would step on the gas and pull out a win, sometimes by 8-12 points, but the first 35 minutes was the same sort of crap that we've seen the past few games.   

We've lost just one game, away, to a national program by one possession, where if our last shot went in, we'd be sort of giddy right now.

Playing poorly against lesser competition I think is more common because nearly every single D1 starter has played AAU against top players and just aren't intimidated by playing a more talented opponent.   They can be overwhelmed talent wise, but they won't play scared.   Plus we basically have an entirely new team learning how to play with each other and for a new coaching staff.  

I'm not worried.    At this point.   Lol

Really excellent point about the lack of intimidation. NJIT looked comfortable from the start. The longer the mid or low majors stay in the game, the more confident they get. There are players on NJIT that can compete at a higher level. O'Hearn looked like one of them. In recent years, we have seen unknowns like Loyola of Chicago and FGCU  do very well in the NCAA tournament. Virginia lost to 16 seed UMBC a few years ago. 

If this SJU team was projected to be a top 20 or better powerhouse, I would say the team was overrated.  No realistic person saw us that way before the season began.  There have to a bunch of upsets already, and some near upsets. Creighton barely survived the other day, and their team is filled with highly rated recruits.

Maybe we are all in panic mode a bit prematurely. The team has not jelled. The star is in a shooting slump and the team leader is banged up.  The backup PG has not played recently.  Our early season growing pains is  nothing new.  Let's give the team some more time before hitting the panic button.

The following user(s) said Thank You: Beast of the East

Questions/Concerns about this team.. 1 month 2 weeks ago #444635

• Monte
  • Monte's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 7499

Ray Morgan post=444634 wrote:

Beast of the East post=444604 wrote: Just was thinking that back in the 70s,  (not the age, the decade), I went to a ton of games where our very talented teams were locked in these games against inferior teams that were 1 or 2 possession games with 5 or 6 minutes to play.   Invariably they would step on the gas and pull out a win, sometimes by 8-12 points, but the first 35 minutes was the same sort of crap that we've seen the past few games.   

We've lost just one game, away, to a national program by one possession, where if our last shot went in, we'd be sort of giddy right now.

Playing poorly against lesser competition I think is more common because nearly every single D1 starter has played AAU against top players and just aren't intimidated by playing a more talented opponent.   They can be overwhelmed talent wise, but they won't play scared.   Plus we basically have an entirely new team learning how to play with each other and for a new coaching staff.  

I'm not worried.    At this point.   Lol

Really excellent point about the lack of intimidation. NJIT looked comfortable from the start. The longer the mid or low majors stay in the game, the more confident they get. There are players on NJIT that can compete at a higher level. O'Hearn looked like one of them. In recent years, we have seen unknowns like Loyola of Chicago and FGCU  do very well in the NCAA tournament. Virginia lost to 16 seed UMBC a few years ago. 

If this SJU team was projected to be a top 20 or better powerhouse, I would say the team was overrated.  No realistic person saw us that way before the season began.  There have to a bunch of upsets already, and some near upsets. Creighton barely survived the other day, and their team is filled with highly rated recruits.

Maybe we are all in panic mode a bit prematurely. The team has not jelled. The star is in a shooting slump and the team leader is banged up.  The backup PG has not played recently.  Our early season growing pains is  nothing new.  Let's give the team some more time before hitting the panic button.

Agree, no cause for panic, but plenty of cause for concern. Maybe because my expectations weren't nearly as lofty as others on here, there will not be any panic from me no matter what happens. Think we'll improve, but still a lot of questions marks. They'll be answered soon enough. 
The following user(s) said Thank You: Beast of the East, RedStormRising

Questions/Concerns about this team.. 1 month 2 weeks ago #444639

• Porgyman
  • Thank you received: 399
Did everyone around here swallow some “logic” pills last night? The last few posts give me reason for optimism. Honestly, I almost walked away after reading posts calling for the coach to be fired! Huh? The same guy that posted winning records here with a chicken crap roster?

Or the posts that were viciously attacking Champ.  One day after discussion of placing him on the St. John’s Mt. Rushmore.
Folks…it’s a long season. Teams don’t jell overnight. Especially teams with lots of new faces. I’d rather see these struggles now, as opposed to February.
The following user(s) said Thank You: panther2, Ray Morgan, NCJohnnie

Last edit: by Porgyman.

Questions/Concerns about this team.. 1 month 2 weeks ago #444645

• mjmaherjr
  • Thank you received: 8330

Porgyman post=444639 wrote: Did everyone around here swallow some “logic” pills last night? The last few posts give me reason for optimism. 

Probably just posters swallowing some Xanax :)
The following user(s) said Thank You: Porgyman, panther2, Andrew, NCJohnnie

Questions/Concerns about this team.. 1 month 2 weeks ago #444652

• Room112
  • Thank you received: 1771

Porgyman post=444639 wrote: Did everyone around here swallow some “logic” pills last night? The last few posts give me reason for optimism. Honestly, I almost walked away after reading posts calling for the coach to be fired! Huh? The same guy that posted winning records here with a chicken crap roster?

Or the posts that were viciously attacking Champ.  One day after discussion of placing him on the St. John’s Mt. Rushmore.
Folks…it’s a long season. Teams don’t jell overnight. Especially teams with lots of new faces. I’d rather see these struggles now, as opposed to February.

Who was "viciously attacking" Champ? Unless I missed something, all I saw was fair critique of his game so far this year, but nothing raising to the level of an attack.
The following user(s) said Thank You: redmannorth, Paultzman, jackfro, RedStormRising, bamafan

Questions/Concerns about this team.. 1 month 2 weeks ago #444654

• fuchsia
  • Thank you received: 789

mjmaherjr post=444645 wrote:

Porgyman post=444639 wrote: Did everyone around here swallow some “logic” pills last night? The last few posts give me reason for optimism. 

Probably just posters swallowing some Xanax :)

Some of the recovering people I worked with had Xanax as their drug of choice.

Questions/Concerns about this team.. 1 month 1 week ago #445214

• Monte
  • Monte's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 7499

Monte post=443902 wrote: I posed these questions, in no particular  order, before the Indiana game. I modified question number 2 slightly. Other then #4, we still don't know answer to the other questions. Still early, but these are major concerns. In particular, who is our back up PG and who is going to contribute down low? 

1. Can Smith and Coburn get good looks and knock down shots against a much higher level of comp?
2. Can Soriano hold his own down low against Jackson-Davis(and other more talented big men)?
3. Can Wheeler and Stanley be effective around the rim on both ends?
4. What can Mathis give us on offense? 
5. Who is our back up PG? 

1. I have serious doubts 
2. See #1
3. No
4. What he gave Rutgers 
5. Pinzon, I guess 

I talk to myself a lot, especially when I drink. 
The following user(s) said Thank You: RedStormRising

Last edit: by Monte.

Questions/Concerns about this team.. 1 month 1 week ago #445229

• dee
  • Away
  • Thank you received: 53

Monte post=443902 wrote: I posed these questions, in no particular  order, before the Indiana game. I modified question number 2 slightly. Other then #4, we still don't know answer to the other questions. Still early, but these are major concerns. In particular, who is our back up PG and who is going to contribute down low? 

1. Can Smith and Coburn get good looks and knock down shots against a much higher level of comp?
2. Can Soriano hold his own down low against Jackson-Davis(and other more talented big men)?

You forgot one question. Is Anderson the right coach? Answer NO
HEY CMA ITS TIME TO GO!!

Questions/Concerns about this team.. 1 month 1 week ago #445230

• dee
  • Away
  • Thank you received: 53

You forgot one question. Is Anderson the right coach? Answer NO
HEY CMA ITS TIME TO GO!!

Moderators: mkras99SJUFAN2espkengmanlawmanfankranmarsOhioFanotisredmannorthKnight