Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

(PRE-GAME) St. Francis (Brooklyn), Tues., Nov. 23, 7p, FS-2 1 week 4 days ago #443469

• gregbodkin
  • Thank you received: 16
I hope that CMA has these guys a little more fired up for this game. I'll never forget the dedication night for Carnesecca Arena, November 23, 2004. The opponent was St. Francis and they ruined the evening by beating us 53-52 coming back and beating a St. John's team that thought that they had already won the game. Maybe CMA should show the team the tape of that game.
The following user(s) said Thank You: bamafan, Amaseinyourface, Knight
The topic has been locked.

(PRE-GAME) St. Francis (Brooklyn), Tues., Nov. 23, 7p, FS-2 1 week 4 days ago #443474

• Room112
  • Away
  • Thank you received: 1657

Knight post=443446 wrote: Maybe, as far as the student body is concerned, the interest isn’t there.

And in my opinion, that's the way it's been over the past couple of decades since I've been a fan. I still don't understand why student tickets aren't free every year. On top of that, I'm not sure I've ever seen anything done to market the team to younger people. I guess it would help if the team was a consistent winner?

(PRE-GAME) St. Francis (Brooklyn), Tues., Nov. 23, 7p, FS-2 1 week 4 days ago #443477

• Enright
  • Thank you received: 742
Along with the Robert Morris NIT game the St Francis game gregbodkin referred to dedicating CA have to be at top of embarrassing moments in CA history. There were so many ex players etc in attendance you just felt the game couldn’t end that way and if SJU had any clairvoyant people in charge it would have ended the Norm Robert’s era which had only started.
The following user(s) said Thank You: bamafan

(PRE-GAME) St. Francis (Brooklyn), Tues., Nov. 23, 7p, FS-2 1 week 4 days ago #443482

• redken
  • Thank you received: 1339

gregbodkin post=443469 wrote: I hope that CMA has these guys a little more fired up for this game. I'll never forget the dedication night for Carnesecca Arena, November 23, 2004. The opponent was St. Francis and they ruined the evening by beating us 53-52 coming back and beating a St. John's team that thought that they had already won the game. Maybe CMA should show the team the tape of that game.

I remember that game all too well. Very disappointing, very embarrassing. Put a bit of a damper (especially for Norm) on the otherwise terrific post-game festivities, which I was lucky enough to attend. But yes, Greg, we shouldn't see beating St. Francis, or anyone esle, as a sure thing, especially after Saturday's sloppy performance. Too many question marks at this point.
The following user(s) said Thank You: gregbodkin, SJU85
Last edit: by redken.

(PRE-GAME) St. Francis (Brooklyn), Tues., Nov. 23, 7p, FS-2 1 week 4 days ago #443483

• Phil G
  • Thank you received: 102
Same here for.  I attended starting 83.  School then work

attended regularly after graduation 

difference now is the dorms.   There’s an event on campus.   Leave the n go for the two hours 

I guess need consistent winning

(PRE-GAME) St. Francis (Brooklyn), Tues., Nov. 23, 7p, FS-2 1 week 4 days ago #443496

• Room112
  • Away
  • Thank you received: 1657
I'll also add that the campus isnt exactly convenient to get to by public transportation. You literally can't get there by subway unless you switch to a bus. So for weeknight games that might be just too much of a hassle for anyone coming from anywhere other than Queens/Eastern Long Island.

It also doesn't seem like we've converted many students into fans over the past two decades. Just look at the make-up of this board. Somehow I'm one of the youngest posters and I'm 38! Jack Williams is a rarity. Why do we never get any student fans posting here? 
The following user(s) said Thank You: Moose

(PRE-GAME) St. Francis (Brooklyn), Tues., Nov. 23, 7p, FS-2 1 week 4 days ago #443529

• Enright
  • Thank you received: 742
Being a SJU attendee prior to dorms I have never been able to understand how students would prefer to stay in their dorms rather than walk the equivalent of a block to attend a game. They must be more studious than myself and classmates back then.
The following user(s) said Thank You: SJU85, redken, gonzalo, Delaware, bamafan, BrooklynRed

(PRE-GAME) St. Francis (Brooklyn), Tues., Nov. 23, 7p, FS-2 1 week 3 days ago #443560

• usguard
  • Thank you received: 546
It’s easier for the big football schools whose stadium holds 30-50000 fans the atmosphere is contagious .Those fans go to basketbAll games as well
St. John’s was a commuter school but bring in great basketball players win a conf title become a suite 16 or final 4  and it will belike wringing the dinner bell .They will sell out

(PRE-GAME) St. Francis (Brooklyn), Tues., Nov. 23, 7p, FS-2 1 week 3 days ago #443563

• stjohnschris
  • Thank you received: 89
Winning is the main answer, but other points are certainly valid as well.  The comment about 8 - 12 year olds becoming life long fans, that's pretty much me.  When I made the 6th grade basketball team in 1984 I was given the choice of a huge Ewing or Mullin poster.  Combine that with the successful team in that timeframe and it paved my path as a lifelong fan.  

(PRE-GAME) St. Francis (Brooklyn), Tues., Nov. 23, 7p, FS-2 1 week 3 days ago #443577

• Tonyinfairfield
  • Thank you received: 1061
Will not be able to attend Tuesday night's game. PM me if you'd my two tickets. 
Moderators: mkras99SJUFAN2espkengmanlawmanfankranmarsOhioFanotisredmannorthKnight