Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

(PRE-GAME) St. Francis (Brooklyn), Tues., Nov. 23, 7p, FS-2 1 week 5 days ago #443417

• Knight
  • Knight's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 2597
The following user(s) said Thank You: Monte
The topic has been locked.

(PRE-GAME) St. Francis (Brooklyn), Tues., Nov. 23, 7p, FS-2 1 week 4 days ago #443431

• Beast of the East
  • Thank you received: 5545
All students go free.   

(PRE-GAME) St. Francis (Brooklyn), Tues., Nov. 23, 7p, FS-2 1 week 4 days ago #443433

• BrookJersey Redmen
  • Thank you received: 725
The fairly empty arena gets a mention in the NYP today by Zach (2x), not a good look for the Johnnies trying to capture the attention of NYC. We have to capture the attention of our own campus.
The following user(s) said Thank You: bamafan
Last edit: by BrookJersey Redmen. Reason: typo

(PRE-GAME) St. Francis (Brooklyn), Tues., Nov. 23, 7p, FS-2 1 week 4 days ago #443436

• Monte
  • Thank you received: 6734

BrookJersey Redmen post=443433 wrote: The fairly empty arena gets a mention in the NYP today by Zach (2x), not a good look for the Johnnies trying to capture the attention of NYC. We have to capture the attention of our own campus.

I hear ya BJR, but alumni have always far exceeded our student body in terms of % of attendance. We have never drawn much from the student body. Not exactly sure why. And games like these don't draw very much interest from anyone except maybe the most diehard of SJU fans(us)
The following user(s) said Thank You: bamafan, BrookJersey Redmen
Last edit: by Monte.

(PRE-GAME) St. Francis (Brooklyn), Tues., Nov. 23, 7p, FS-2 1 week 4 days ago #443443

• BrookJersey Redmen
  • Thank you received: 725
Monte, in my day in school here, the excuse was threefold. We commuted and  lived at home with mom and dad. We worked so had less spare time. We were working class and didn't have money for frivolous things like tickets to sporting events.

I happen to believe these were rationalizations and not valid explanations. I lived at home, worked full time and went to games because I loved and supported our BB team.

For whatever reason, and it may be all of the multiple other pro sports teams, our students over the years have not been a huge part of the makeup of our crowds. Exceptions were when we were in the top 10 and EVERYONE got on our bandwagon.
The following user(s) said Thank You: redmannorth, bamafan, BrooklynRed

(PRE-GAME) St. Francis (Brooklyn), Tues., Nov. 23, 7p, FS-2 1 week 4 days ago #443446

• Knight
  • Knight's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 2597
Maybe, as far as the student body is concerned, the interest isn’t there.

(PRE-GAME) St. Francis (Brooklyn), Tues., Nov. 23, 7p, FS-2 1 week 4 days ago #443449

• indyredmen97
  • Thank you received: 224
I may have the exact numbers wrong, but the age group between 8-12 years old is when lifelong support for a club is formed. For me, that was ‘83-86. The height of St John’s modern basketball history, and the Big East. I was rooting for the Johnnies before I got on campus in 93. We have been so bad for so long that it’s little wonder that kids grow up liking teams they have no enrollment in, and by the time they get here, join a mostly dispassionate older fan base (present company excluded). At IU, it’s a part of your identity at home growing up that you’re a Hoosier, even if you end up going to Purdue. I don’t know what it means to be a St. John’s man, only that if such a club exists, it isn’t appealing to students at campus.
The following user(s) said Thank You: RedStormRising

(PRE-GAME) St. Francis (Brooklyn), Tues., Nov. 23, 7p, FS-2 1 week 4 days ago #443452

• BrooklynRed
  • Thank you received: 574

Beast of the East post=443431 wrote: All students go free.  

Does this have a hidden meaning--all students free to go home for Thanksgiving weekend????  
The following user(s) said Thank You: bamafan

(PRE-GAME) St. Francis (Brooklyn), Tues., Nov. 23, 7p, FS-2 1 week 4 days ago #443462

• MainMan
  • Thank you received: 1375
Had to double-check if our old friend Glenn Braica is still coach.... and he is!

(PRE-GAME) St. Francis (Brooklyn), Tues., Nov. 23, 7p, FS-2 1 week 4 days ago #443465

• Monte
  • Thank you received: 6734

BrookJersey Redmen post=443443 wrote: Monte, in my day in school here, the excuse was threefold. We commuted and  lived at home with mom and dad. We worked so had less spare time. We were working class and didn't have money for frivolous things like tickets to sporting events.

I happen to believe these were rationalizations and not valid explanations. I lived at home, worked full time and went to games because I loved and supported our BB team.

For whatever reason, and it may be all of the multiple other pro sports teams, our students over the years have not been a huge part of the makeup of our crowds. Exceptions were when we were in the top 10 and EVERYONE got on our bandwagon.

I was in same boat. Class from 8:00-Noon, work from 2:00-10:00. No time for games. So completely get it. Also who cares about SJU vs cupcake(name the school). Not sure our students where a much bigger % during our heyday. I had season tix and don't ever remember much of a student presence at the AH games. Seemed like a lot more when to MSG, but then again those were the marquee games 
The following user(s) said Thank You: SJU85, bamafan
Moderators: mkras99SJUFAN2espkengmanlawmanfankranmarsOhioFanotisredmannorthKnight