Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Zach article/Our soft OOC schedule 1 week 6 days ago #443167

  • Mean Gene
  • Mean Gene's Avatar
  • Offline
  • Posts: 3882
  • Thank you received: 1397

mm52 post=443165 wrote:

NCJohnnie post=443161 wrote: And Marquette further enhanced the Big East's profile by beating yet another Power 5 school, previously undefeated Ole Miss, last night. Beat our OOC opponents other than Indy & Kansas and win 12 games in the Big East, which by definition would includes lots of good wins, and we will not have to worry about any bubble.  


 

Marquette will have 6, maybe 7, OOC games against P5 conferences this season, and only 4 "cupcakes."

All that said about the possible ramifications of a soft OOC, the only positive I am now taking from it is that CMA figures out his new players and rotations before the Kansas game and a grueling BE schedule.


That’s the only positive you can take from this and the only thing we can hope for at this point because the schedule is not going to change now.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Andrew

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Zach article/Our soft OOC schedule 1 week 6 days ago #443168

  • Making Plays
  • Making Plays's Avatar
  • Offline
  • Posts: 996
  • Thank you received: 1758
I'm not sure the NET rankings in previous year's in the Big East, but this has to be one of the better year's by far.  If the NET rankings end up being pretty close to KenPom's rankings which they usually are.  As of right now we have at least 11 Quad 1 games remaining on the schedule.  There are 8 teams (7 outside of St. John's that are top 75 KenPom teams), with 3 in the top 30.  

That's plenty of opportunities to get quality wins, and that's not including the Big East tournament, where you could add another 1-3 Q1/Q2 games.  If things hold up in the non-conference and other BE teams avoid bad losses, which at this point only looks like Georgetown is capable of doing that. I don't see how 9 or 10 wins doesn't get you in the tournament, 10 out of the 20 BE games are Q1's, 6 of the 20 are Q2's, and 4 of the 20 are Q3's.  So 16 out of 20 BE games will be considered quality wins on a tournament resume.

 
The following user(s) said Thank You: IDRAFT, RedStormRising

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last edit: by Making Plays.

Zach article/Our soft OOC schedule 1 week 6 days ago #443170

  • mm52
  • mm52's Avatar
  • Offline
  • Posts: 215
  • Thank you received: 128

Mean Gene post=443167 wrote:

mm52 post=443165 wrote:

NCJohnnie post=443161 wrote: And Marquette further enhanced the Big East's profile by beating yet another Power 5 school, previously undefeated Ole Miss, last night. Beat our OOC opponents other than Indy & Kansas and win 12 games in the Big East, which by definition would includes lots of good wins, and we will not have to worry about any bubble.  



 

Marquette will have 6, maybe 7, OOC games against P5 conferences this season, and only 4 "cupcakes."

All that said about the possible ramifications of a soft OOC, the only positive I am now taking from it is that CMA figures out his new players and rotations before the Kansas game and a grueling BE schedule.


That’s the only positive you can take from this and the only thing we can hope for at this point because the schedule is not going to change now.
 

And that the Big East gets back to at least a 5 team conference in the tourney.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Zach article/Our soft OOC schedule 1 week 6 days ago #443173

  • NCJohnnie
  • NCJohnnie's Avatar
  • Offline
  • Posts: 5478
  • Thank you received: 6948
Monte wrote:
Unless I'm ready their roster incorrectly, Marquette is made up almost completely of newcomers. In fact, of the 10 kids who have played in the first 4 games, 8 are freshmen and the other 2 are transfers. I wasn't aware of it, although many of you may have been. And while there's no way of knowing how the season will play out, kudos to Shaka for getting off to such a good start with a brand new group. 

You're 90% right Monte lol. The only exception is Justin Lewis who played in 21 games for them last year and had numerous double figure games including one against us. I remember him being touted as a very good frosh prospect. For some reason ESPN lists him as a freshman but don't see how that could be correct. Agree that Shaka's done a phenomenal job getting this group of newcomers playing well right from the get go. 
The following user(s) said Thank You: Monte, RedStormRising

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Zach article/Our soft OOC schedule 1 week 6 days ago #443180

  • bamafan
  • bamafan's Avatar
  • Offline
  • Posts: 7868
  • Thank you received: 3580

NCJohnnie post=443161 wrote: And Marquette further enhanced the Big East's profile by beating yet another Power 5 school, previously undefeated Ole Miss, last night. Beat our OOC opponents other than Indy & Kansas and win 12 games in the Big East, which by definition would includes lots of good wins, and we will not have to worry about any bubble.  

Good thing the rest of the conference is doing our work for us! LOL
The following user(s) said Thank You: Monte, RedStormRising, Rehobie

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Zach article/Our soft OOC schedule 1 week 6 days ago #443194

  • Amaseinyourface
  • Amaseinyourface's Avatar
  • Offline
  • Posts: 5052
  • Thank you received: 2994

NCJohnnie post=443173 wrote: Monte wrote:
Unless I'm ready their roster incorrectly, Marquette is made up almost completely of newcomers. In fact, of the 10 kids who have played in the first 4 games, 8 are freshmen and the other 2 are transfers. I wasn't aware of it, although many of you may have been. And while there's no way of knowing how the season will play out, kudos to Shaka for getting off to such a good start with a brand new group. 

You're 90% right Monte lol. The only exception is Justin Lewis who played in 21 games for them last year and had numerous double figure games including one against us. I remember him being touted as a very good frosh prospect. For some reason ESPN lists him as a freshman but don't see how that could be correct. Agree that Shaka's done a phenomenal job getting this group of newcomers playing well right from the get go. 



It’s weird, some schools on ESPN lost their players with their added year of eligibility. Indiana for example. I thought it might have been a conference thing but apparently not.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Zach article/Our soft OOC schedule 1 week 6 days ago #443201

  • MarkRedman
  • MarkRedman's Avatar
  • Offline
  • Posts: 4777
  • Thank you received: 3124

mm52 post=443165 wrote:

NCJohnnie post=443161 wrote: And Marquette further enhanced the Big East's profile by beating yet another Power 5 school, previously undefeated Ole Miss, last night. Beat our OOC opponents other than Indy & Kansas and win 12 games in the Big East, which by definition would includes lots of good wins, and we will not have to worry about any bubble.  


 

Marquette will have 6, maybe 7, OOC games against P5 conferences this season, and only 4 "cupcakes."

All that said about the possible ramifications of a soft OOC, the only positive I am now taking from it is that CMA figures out his new players and rotations before the Kansas game and a grueling BE schedule.



I don't know how you can "figure out your new players and rotations" when your next three opponents are Farleigh Dickinson, St Francis and NJIT. Not a great way to prepare your team to play Kansas.
 

The following user(s) said Thank You: Monte, Paultzman, nycfan, RedStormRising, Mean Gene

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Zach article/Our soft OOC schedule 1 week 5 days ago #443216

  • BrookJersey Redmen
  • BrookJersey Redmen's Avatar
  • Offline
  • Posts: 1392
  • Thank you received: 725
I don't know?

We all love Looie right?

Didn't Looie have year after year of Cupcake City, Baby!?

and Didn't we make a Tournament every single year (most-often NCAA) and didn't Looie get 22+ Ws, almost every year?

On the other hand, schedule better cupcakes, than Emily Dickinson, St. Peter's and NJIT, and especially no MVS's. 

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Zach article/Our soft OOC schedule 1 week 5 days ago #443218

  • richard A Steinfeld
  • richard  A Steinfeld's Avatar
  • Away
  • Posts: 3831
  • Thank you received: 1082

BrookJersey Redmen post=443216 wrote: I don't know?

We all love Looie right?

Didn't Looie have year after year of Cupcake City, Baby!?

and Didn't we make a Tournament every single year (most-often NCAA) and didn't Looie get 22+ Ws, almost every year?

On the other hand, schedule better cupcakes, than Emily Dickinson, St. Peter's and NJIT, and especially no MVS's. 
——-
Different metrics for NCAA tourney when Looie was coach. More emphasis on record then.
 

The following user(s) said Thank You: Paultzman, BrookJersey Redmen

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Zach article/Our soft OOC schedule 1 week 5 days ago #443239

  • BrooklynRed
  • BrooklynRed's Avatar
  • Away
  • Posts: 614
  • Thank you received: 574
A lot of trash talk about the schedule.  A little "grass is always greener" syndrome maybe.  Our "prep" for Kansas, OMG.  Seton is preparing for Texas by playing Bethune Cookman, Wagner anf the incredible Nyack College.  

We are playing in the Gavitt and the Big East/Big Twelve competions and we scheduled Pitt of the ACC when they were expected to be competitive with Julian and his brother as the featured members of the teams.

We have no invites to in season tournaments this year which can enhance competition and add to team revenue.  Basketball revenue at St. John's provides for all SJU sports.  Therefore, without in season tournament revenue, we must schedule games at home where we have to give a guarantee to visitors, so the closer to Queens, the less it costs the program.  

As the Irishman says--It Is What It Is.
The following user(s) said Thank You: newsman13, Beast of the East, IDRAFT

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Moderators: mkras99SJUFAN2espkengmanlawmanfankranmarsOhioFanotisredmannorthKnight