Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Zach article/Our soft OOC schedule 1 week 6 days ago #443149

• sjc88
  • Thank you received: 1050
I want St. John’s to play more top flight teams. If we play well in Big East play it won’t matter. However, if we are borderline we will get hurt. 

Before the Indiana game I heard IU Coach Woodson about scheduling them at the Garden. Why can’t we get with them or a team like them to schedule a game at MSG? How hard can this be. Getting teams to come to NY can’t be that difficult.
The following user(s) said Thank You: RedStormRising, Mean Gene

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Zach article/Our soft OOC schedule 1 week 6 days ago #443151

• joe 49
  • Thank you received: 2

IDRAFT post=443145 wrote: Did  anyone check if Zach updated the date on this article since he writes it every year. Here are some quick statistics on Big East tournament teams since the league went back to its roots in 2013.

2013 - 4 teams in, worst conference record to receive a bid 10-8
2014 - 6 teams in, worst conference record 9-9
2015 - 5 teams in, worst conference record 10-8
2016 - 7 teams in, worst conference record 9-9
2017 - 6 teams in, worst conference record 9-9
2018 - 4 teams in, worst conference record 8-10
2019 - NA
2020 - 4 teams in, worst at large record 11-6, worst record 7-9 (Georgetown won BE tournament)

So over the last seven applicable years roughly half of the league has earned bids (5.14 per year,)  And other than last year hanging around .500 in the league was the key. But last year was a complete mess, as Covid cancelled game after game, skewing the NET numbers. 

Now if SJU is clawing for a bid and ends up 10-10, a good OOC win could make the difference I suppose. Personally, this year  I wouldn't care. Last years team went 10-9, so even if you chalk up the home game against UCONN that didn't get played as a loss that's 10-10. That team had one player (Toro) who is not currently on an NCAA roster. So it's not a very difficult  leap to know SJU was setup for a better year this year. Players improve year-over-year and everyone was returning.

Now a few returned and many transferred. The overwhelming narrative is that the new players are an upgrade. That narrative exists both here and in the media. And I'm not saying it's wrong. But if it's correct then the last thing any SJU fan should have to do in March is look at the NCAA Bubble. With a roster upgrade the team can't get a safe 8 seed?  If they don't this season is a failure in my mind. But I think they will accomplish that.

SJU plays in the Big East not the MEAC. They will play plenty of Quad whatever games to prove they are an NCAA caliber team, in conference. They need to win them already.

20 big  east games and be tourney is enough to show team belongs, or not.

The following user(s) said Thank You: mm52

Zach article/Our soft OOC schedule 1 week 6 days ago #443153

• SJU61982
  • Thank you received: 1451
Too much assumption that if we're on the bubble, it's going to be with another Big East team.  In truth, that probably won't be the case.

Unless it's a dominant regular season champ from a lower conference that loses it's tournament, odds are, if we're on the bubble with someone, they'll have similar resumes to us.  Even if they have better wins, they'll probably have worse losses, especially if they come from another league.

Zach article/Our soft OOC schedule 1 week 6 days ago #443154

• SJU61982
  • Thank you received: 1451

sjc88 post=443149 wrote: I want St. John’s to play more top flight teams. If we play well in Big East play it won’t matter. However, if we are borderline we will get hurt. 

Before the Indiana game I heard IU Coach Woodson about scheduling them at the Garden. Why can’t we get with them or a team like them to schedule a game at MSG? How hard can this be. Getting teams to come to NY can’t be that difficult.

Because teams like that, to say nothing of the top tier, don't need to play us to come to New York.  There are many showcase events here where they can get better competition, and a true neutral site game out of it.

Last edit: by SJU61982.

Zach article/Our soft OOC schedule 1 week 6 days ago #443158

• richard A Steinfeld
  • Thank you received: 1082
Have to hope the BE continues to play strong out of conference and establishes itself as one of the better conferences. Got the job done w the b10 challenge.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Monte

Zach article/Our soft OOC schedule 1 week 6 days ago #443161

• NCJohnnie
  • Thank you received: 6950
And Marquette further enhanced the Big East's profile by beating yet another Power 5 school, previously undefeated Ole Miss, last night. Beat our OOC opponents other than Indy & Kansas and win 12 games in the Big East, which by definition would includes lots of good wins, and we will not have to worry about any bubble.  
The following user(s) said Thank You: Monte, Beast of the East, IDRAFT, panther2, richard A Steinfeld, Andrew

Zach article/Our soft OOC schedule 1 week 6 days ago #443162

• Mean Gene
  • Thank you received: 1397

IDRAFT post=443145 wrote: Did  anyone check if Zach updated the date on this article since he writes it every year. Here are some quick statistics on Big East tournament teams since the league went back to its roots in 2013.

2013 - 4 teams in, worst conference record to receive a bid 10-8
2014 - 6 teams in, worst conference record 9-9
2015 - 5 teams in, worst conference record 10-8
2016 - 7 teams in, worst conference record 9-9
2017 - 6 teams in, worst conference record 9-9
2018 - 4 teams in, worst conference record 8-10
2019 - NA
2020 - 4 teams in, worst at large record 11-6, worst record 7-9 (Georgetown won BE tournament)

So over the last seven applicable years roughly half of the league has earned bids (5.14 per year,)  And other than last year hanging around .500 in the league was the key. But last year was a complete mess, as Covid cancelled game after game, skewing the NET numbers. 

Now if SJU is clawing for a bid and ends up 10-10, a good OOC win could make the difference I suppose. Personally, this year  I wouldn't care. Last years team went 10-9, so even if you chalk up the home game against UCONN that didn't get played as a loss that's 10-10. That team had one player (Toro) who is not currently on an NCAA roster. So it's not a very difficult  leap to know SJU was setup for a better year this year. Players improve year-over-year and everyone was returning.

Now a few returned and many transferred. The overwhelming narrative is that the new players are an upgrade. That narrative exists both here and in the media. And I'm not saying it's wrong. But if it's correct then the last thing any SJU fan should have to do in March is look at the NCAA Bubble. With a roster upgrade the team can't get a safe 8 seed?  If they don't this season is a failure in my mind. But I think they will accomplish that.

SJU plays in the Big East not the MEAC. They will play plenty of Quad whatever games to prove they are an NCAA caliber team, in conference. They need to win them already.

IDraft, what were the Strength of Schedule rankings of the teams that made the tournament with 9-9 records in conference or worse? Who did they play and beat out of conference. If we knew that then we could really see how to apply those results to this years team. Thanks for the info. 

The following user(s) said Thank You: RedStormRising, mm52

Zach article/Our soft OOC schedule 1 week 6 days ago #443163

• Andrew
  • Thank you received: 1368
We start our conference schedule at Seton Hall. It would be nice to win a tough road game early instead of playing catch up like we have so often. 
The following user(s) said Thank You: Beast of the East, IDRAFT, RedStormRising, Delaware, Mean Gene

Zach article/Our soft OOC schedule 1 week 6 days ago #443165

• mm52
  • Thank you received: 128

NCJohnnie post=443161 wrote: And Marquette further enhanced the Big East's profile by beating yet another Power 5 school, previously undefeated Ole Miss, last night. Beat our OOC opponents other than Indy & Kansas and win 12 games in the Big East, which by definition would includes lots of good wins, and we will not have to worry about any bubble.  

Marquette will have 6, maybe 7, OOC games against P5 conferences this season, and only 4 "cupcakes."

All that said about the possible ramifications of a soft OOC, the only positive I am now taking from it is that CMA figures out his new players and rotations before the Kansas game and a grueling BE schedule.
The following user(s) said Thank You: MarkRedman, RedStormRising

Last edit: by mm52.

Zach article/Our soft OOC schedule 1 week 6 days ago #443166

• Monte
  • Monte's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 6734

NCJohnnie post=443161 wrote: And Marquette further enhanced the Big East's profile by beating yet another Power 5 school, previously undefeated Ole Miss, last night. Beat our OOC opponents other than Indy & Kansas and win 12 games in the Big East, which by definition would includes lots of good wins, and we will not have to worry about any bubble.  

Unless I'm ready their roster incorrectly, Marquette is made up almost completely of newcomers. In fact, of the 10 kids who have played in the first 4 games, 8 are freshmen and the other 2 are transfers. I wasn't aware of it, although many of you may have been. And while there's no way of knowing how the season will play out, kudos to Shaka for getting off to such a good start with a brand new group. 
The following user(s) said Thank You: RedStormRising, bamafan, Mean Gene

Last edit: by Monte.
Moderators: mkras99SJUFAN2espkengmanlawmanfankranmarsOhioFanotisredmannorthKnight