Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Johnnies Tidbits 3 months 3 weeks ago #439580

• Making Plays
  • Thank you received: 1859

Moose post=439569 wrote:

LOL, didn't Caraher quit on the team before the first semester was even over and just stayed home when they got that break to see family.
The following user(s) said Thank You: wwalwyn

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Johnnies Tidbits 3 months 3 weeks ago #439582

• sjc88
  • Thank you received: 1083
I know, because of our many issues, people are ready to fall out of their seats over this. Personally I am not all that perturbed by it. Here’s why:

1- Former players being upset. Boo hoo. This happens to every team, everywhere. Especially in a system this year where college players were allowed to basically become free agents. There were hundreds of transfers. Players all think they should play more. Some think the offense should revolve around them. That some of these kids butted heads with a strong willed Coach is not a surprise. The not playing in the NIT is just nonsense. Several teams opted not to play in the NIT. No one should be surprised that a bunch of 19-20 year olds wanted no part of another month of basically house arrest given CoVid protocols. Let’s not be naive.

I have no idea what any of pthat has to do with a discrimination lawsuit because of a medical condition. Seems like it’s attempt to impugn the character of a head coach who, by all accounts, has a pretty solid reputation.

2- I have personally been involved in several lawsuits in my career. As a Manager of people, it’s just part of the deal. I know the legal eagles here might dispute this but the fact St. John’s didn’t buckle and “settle” the suit is a sign that St. John’s lawyers might not be too impressed with what they have heard. Usually before firing someone Superiors (Cragg?), Human Resources,, and the lawyers are consulted. Pretty certain that St. John’s was aware of any of the medical conditions of the complainant. I have no idea of the type of contract Demeo had but I would assume he had some type of buyout if he was let go early. He claims he wasn’t paid vacation time. That’s odd to me because if Demeo was disabled because of his procedure ( in most places) you use your sick time first and then you might use vacation time ( your choice) before STD (short term disability) picks up (if he was covered). This is usually done by the employee so they are paid in full as long as possible. LTD (long term disability) usually after 8 weeks is MUCH harder to prove. Honestly, we don’t know the facts so that’s speculation. 

Sorry for the long winded post. I just think when people hear lawsuit they tend to get the reaction the person filing it wants. This all looks pretty benign. 

The following user(s) said Thank You: RedStormRising, wwalwyn, P1NSTR1PEZ, NCJohnnie, BrooklynRed

Does it ever end? 3 months 3 weeks ago #439583

• otis
  • Thank you received: 2138

Monte post=439550 wrote: While I do believe that there are elements of truth in the accusations, like most other lawsuits the facts are grossly exaggerated by the lawyers(no offense to myriad lawyers on the board).  Having said that, if I'm SJU I'd hold off on that CMA statue for a while. 

_____

1.  Monte ..... Welcome back.  Don't be a stranger.

2.  Please don't blame attorneys for frivelous lawsuits, blame their "blood sucking" clients. 

3.  I would appreciate if an attorney whose practice focuses on labor law can please explain what duty an employer has to retain an employee on a small specialized staff who can no longer perform their duties because of health issues.    
The following user(s) said Thank You: mjmaherjr

Does it ever end? 3 months 3 weeks ago #439584

• mjmaherjr
  • mjmaherjr's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 8330

otis post=439583 wrote:

Monte post=439550 wrote: While I do believe that there are elements of truth in the accusations, like most other lawsuits the facts are grossly exaggerated by the lawyers(no offense to myriad lawyers on the board).  Having said that, if I'm SJU I'd hold off on that CMA statue for a while. 

_____

1.  Monte ..... Welcome back.  Don't be a stranger.

2.  Please don't blame attorneys for frivelous lawsuits, blame their "blood sucking" clients. 

3.  I would appreciate if an attorney whose practice focuses on labor law can please explain what duty an employer has to retain an employee on a small specialized staff who can no longer perform their duties because of health issues.    

pretty sure this is right up Lawmanfans alley with labor stuff workers comp etc
The following user(s) said Thank You: otis

Johnnies Tidbits 3 months 3 weeks ago #439586

• lawmanfan
  • Away
  • Thank you received: 2260
I'm not going to get too deep into the weeds here but see my post on page 6 of this thread. 

Not the Monte one, the other one. ;-)
The following user(s) said Thank You: Monte

Does it ever end? 3 months 3 weeks ago #439587

• P1NSTR1PEZ
  • Thank you received: 232

MainMan post=439518 wrote: Problem isn't accusations of team dissension from last year.

It's that DeMeo has a ton of connections and is well-liked by a lot of people up and down the basketball stratosphere. 

CMA has built a good core and Macon has done a miracle job in reestablishing relationships with the local bball community. 

I just hope DeMeo's accusations don't give us a black mark among many others. 

A ton of connections and is well-liked that yielded us * checks notes * Vince Cole and Isaih Moore...

The following user(s) said Thank You: sjc88

Johnnies Tidbits 3 months 3 weeks ago #439589

• Room112
  • Thank you received: 1771
Overall I'm not too concerned, but one part from the allegations does concern me a bit. Could this part present a problem?

The problems between Anderson and DeMeo, according to the lawsuit and an interview with SI, began shortly after the season ended at a performance review meeting in May. In the meeting, DeMeo told Anderson that he’d likely need additional time off due to upcoming medical procedures. The suit states that Anderson responded by rolling his eyes and saying “Well, you have a job to do; you have to do it.” The meeting ended shortly thereafter.

Last edit: by Room112.

Does it ever end? 3 months 3 weeks ago #439590

• MCNPA
  • Thank you received: 3970
Much ado about nothing.  Lots of kids that weren’t recruited by him,  didn’t want to work hard to play for Mike Anderson and a coach that seemingly didn’t either.  Move on.  This won’t be a big deal nor will it hurt recruiting.  New kids recruited know what Mike Anderson is about.  The fact that all those idiots followed that idiot Isiah Moore says enough to me.  
The following user(s) said Thank You: panther2

Does it ever end? 3 months 3 weeks ago #439591

• NCJohnnie
  • Thank you received: 7433
I know very little about DeMeo other than he didn't do much successful recruiting for us. Having said that, the fact that he would throw in all the completely irrelevant stuff about player revolt and mistreatment of Moore (last part is laughable on its face) in a suit alleging wrongful termination based on a health condition does not make me think the substance of his wrongful termination claim has much merit. This is especially true given CMA's longstanding, well-earned reputation as a straight arrow who does things the right way.

I'm not particularly worried about this except that it puts a damper on what has otherwise been a wonderful off season. I seriously doubt that the performance review meeting went the way described in the article. No employer in their right mind today rolls their eyes when someone asks for time off for a medical procedure.   
Back to the Yankees playoff qualification cliffhangers for me.
The following user(s) said Thank You: section10

Does it ever end? 3 months 3 weeks ago #439592

• Making Plays
  • Thank you received: 1859

P1NSTR1PEZ post=439587 wrote:

MainMan post=439518 wrote: Problem isn't accusations of team dissension from last year.

It's that DeMeo has a ton of connections and is well-liked by a lot of people up and down the basketball stratosphere. 

CMA has built a good core and Macon has done a miracle job in reestablishing relationships with the local bball community. 

I just hope DeMeo's accusations don't give us a black mark among many others. 

A ton of connections and is well-liked that yielded us * checks notes * Vince Cole and Isaih Moore...

Where do you guys keep getting Vince Cole from?  DeMeo had nothing to do with him, that was TJ's recruit.  Isiah Moore and Stef Smith are the only recruits DeMeo was the lead on that made the roster.  And from listening to Stef Smith's interview he did after he committed, sounds like CMA did much of the work there as well, DeMeo was just the first to contact him.

nypost.com/2021/09/23/ex-st-johns-assist...chool-after-ousting/

"DeMeo played an active role in recruiting junior college transfer Isaih Moore and incoming Vermont graduate transfer Stef Smith. Moore transferred after his one and only season at St. John’s."

The following user(s) said Thank You: Sju grad 13

Last edit: by Making Plays.
Moderators: mkras99SJUFAN2espkengmanlawmanfankranmarsOhioFanotisredmannorthKnight