Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Johnnies Tidbits 1 week 1 hour ago #450031

  • section10
  • section10's Avatar
  • Away
  • Posts: 858
  • Thank you received: 441
as per barstool St. Johns  jan 8

Most Passionate College Basketball Fanbase Rankings

SJU is last in the big east.. ouch.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Monte, bamafan

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Johnnies Tidbits 5 days 17 hours ago #450117

  • Paultzman
  • Paultzman's Avatar
  • Away
  • Posts: 31462
  • Thank you received: 27667

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Johnnies Tidbits 5 days 16 hours ago #450120

  • richard A Steinfeld
  • richard  A Steinfeld's Avatar
  • Offline
  • Posts: 3879
  • Thank you received: 1132

section10 post=450031 wrote: as per barstool St. Johns  jan 8

Most Passionate College Basketball Fanbase Rankings

SJU is last in the big east.. ouch.
——-
Another problem regarding our recruiting. 
If you are a recruit and watch a game at a packed arena for another college and then watch a game at an empty Carneseca arena , it has to be a negative,


 

The following user(s) said Thank You: IDRAFT

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last edit: by richard A Steinfeld.

Johnnies Tidbits 4 days 2 hours ago #450527

  • NCJohnnie
  • NCJohnnie's Avatar
  • Offline
  • Posts: 5764
  • Thank you received: 7432
St. John's transfers struggling to keep up with expectations (nypost.com)

This is the article on the transfer other posters have referenced. Good article. I especially agree with the points that it wouldn't hurt for coach to run some plays for Smith to get open shots as well as Coburn if he is ever going to play.
I've liked Wheeler from the start and to his credit he's kept a good attitude and is finally getting significant minutes and increased confidence. Soriano is a good kid who continues to show progress and can play against BE bigs, just needs to stay out of foul trouble. I really like the fact that we'll have him back next year; he is a legit big which is rare for us and one of our best free throw shooters. 
I completely agree with those who say we need to see much more of Smith and a little less of Wusu and Mathis who should not be starting with Posh; that lineup only reprises the Jimmy Breslin classic Gang Who Couldn't Shoot Straight. I'd like to try a few games with either Wheeler or Smith replacing Mathis in the starting lineup.
Finally, assuming he's healthy and is able to practice, let's give Coburn a chance against Creighton and see if he can give us a few threes against a team that is not super quick. What do we have to lose?
The following user(s) said Thank You: RedStormNC

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last edit: by NCJohnnie.

Johnnies Tidbits 4 days 1 hour ago #450536

  • Knight
  • Knight's Avatar
  • Away
  • Posts: 7371
  • Thank you received: 2713
Wusu is the 3rd best player on this team.  I would suggest less PT to leave him with some gas in the tank late in the game.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Amaseinyourface

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Johnnies Tidbits 4 days 51 minutes ago #450537

  • Beast of the East
  • Beast of the East's Avatar
  • Offline
  • Posts: 13362
  • Thank you received: 6034

NCJohnnie post=450527 wrote: St. John's transfers struggling to keep up with expectations (nypost.com)

This is the article on the transfer other posters have referenced. Good article. I especially agree with the points that it wouldn't hurt for coach to run some plays for Smith to get open shots as well as Coburn if he is ever going to play.
I've liked Wheeler from the start and to his credit he's kept a good attitude and is finally getting significant minutes and increased confidence. Soriano is a good kid who continues to show progress and can play against BE bigs, just needs to stay out of foul trouble. I really like the fact that we'll have him back next year; he is a legit big which is rare for us and one of our best free throw shooters. 
I completely agree with those who say we need to see much more of Smith and a little less of Wusu and Mathis who should not be starting with Posh; that lineup only reprises the Jimmy Breslin classic Gang Who Couldn't Shoot Straight. I'd like to try a few games with either Wheeler or Smith replacing Mathis in the starting lineup.
Finally, assuming he's healthy and is able to practice, let's give Coburn a chance against Creighton and see if he can give us a few threes against a team that is not super quick. What do we have to lose?

I don't like to cite local news articles for validating what's been said here, because the local news guys get their ideas and opinions from here.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Johnnies Tidbits 4 days 33 minutes ago #450543

  • richard A Steinfeld
  • richard  A Steinfeld's Avatar
  • Offline
  • Posts: 3879
  • Thank you received: 1132
What’s the story w Pinzon, we could use him.
The following user(s) said Thank You: fuchsia, SLYFOXX1968

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Johnnies Tidbits 4 days 5 minutes ago #450548

  • SJU14
  • SJU14's Avatar
  • Offline
  • Posts: 1784
  • Thank you received: 559

richard A Steinfeld post=450543 wrote: What’s the story w Pinzon, we could use him.


No direct knowledge of his situation but each player is required to be cleared by a doctor prior to returning to play after COVID. Zach B hinted yesterday that he is being held out for precautionary reasons even though he is allowed to travel and be with the team.
The following user(s) said Thank You: NCJohnnie

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Johnnies Tidbits 2 hours 21 minutes ago #451006

  • Amaseinyourface
  • Amaseinyourface's Avatar
  • Offline
  • Posts: 5151
  • Thank you received: 3231
Posh Alexander is 1 of only 2 players in the country averaging at least: 
15.5 points
5 assists 
4.7 rebs 
50% fg 

He’s also 6th in the country in steals per game (2.6).

He’s somewhat quietly taken the next step as a player this year. The .50 fg% is even more impressive when you consider his perimeter struggles. Still plenty of room for improvement but you really can’t ask for more from a production standpoint. Also helps he’s about as easy a kid to root for as you’ll find. 
The following user(s) said Thank You: redmannorth, RedStormNC, NCJohnnie

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Johnnies Tidbits 2 hours 13 minutes ago #451011

  • NCJohnnie
  • NCJohnnie's Avatar
  • Offline
  • Posts: 5764
  • Thank you received: 7432
Amaseinyourface wrote:
Posh Alexander is 1 of only 2 players in the country averaging at least: 
15.5 points
5 assists 
4.7 rebs 
50% fg 

He’s also 6th in the country in steals per game (2.6).

He’s somewhat quietly taken the next step as a player this year. The .50 fg% is even more impressive when you consider his perimeter struggles. Still plenty of room for improvement but you really can’t ask for more from a production standpoint. Also helps he’s about as easy a kid to root for as you’ll find. 


And after yesterday he has gotten his free throw percentage up to 71%. Foul shooting is an important and underappreciated stat imho; by the nature of his game Posh will get to the line a lot (currently leads our team in attempts) and we need him to shoot mid 70s% or better from there.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Amaseinyourface

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Moderators: mkras99SJUFAN2espkengmanlawmanfankranmarsOhioFanotisredmannorthKnight