Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Greg W Enters Portal 5 months 1 week ago #431796

• fordham96
  • Thank you received: 2523
Yeah I am not sure how many of those schools are real and more importantly have a firm offer.

I maybe an outlier on this but I think there are some guards out there if SJU could get to replace Greg I would have no problem with if it meant he definitely would leave.  I really don't think the fortunes of SJU next year rise and fall on him returning or not.  I am not against him returning but I don't think he is irreplaceable.

L J S A post=431793
There are some big names after him, but does he get more playing time at those schools than does here? I haven't checked their rosters, but it seems like it would be tougher to crack Houston's starting lineup than it would be to crack ours with a staff that knows him. I doubt he's one of the rumored "jealous" guys, but if he is, he'd be jealous at any Power team because he's not going to be the Man.
The following user(s) said Thank You: SJU85, L J S A

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Greg W Enters Portal 5 months 1 week ago #431801

• Paultzman
  • Paultzman's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 26603
Agree w Fordham re offers v interest. Btw, I know Anderson did good job of being point person on this with Greg and family and we’ll see outcome shortly. 
The following user(s) said Thank You: SJU85, MarkRedman, JohnnyFan, NCJohnnie

Last edit: by Paultzman.

Greg W Enters Portal 5 months 1 week ago #431802

• Enright
  • Thank you received: 703
If SJU has a choice of either Williams or Alvarado but not both who would complement the lineup best?

Greg W Enters Portal 5 months 1 week ago #431803

• Paultzman
  • Paultzman's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 26603

Enright post=431802 wrote: If SJU has a choice of either Williams or Alvarado but not both who would complement the lineup best?

Alvarado IMO the better player easily, more durable and fierce competitor. No knock on Greg, but despite being a small duo, Posh and Alvarado would be something. To keep my remaining sanity intact I am operating on premise Alvarado is a dream. Nice to think about though.
The following user(s) said Thank You: SJU85, MJDinkins, MarkRedman, Amaseinyourface, L J S A, SigEpSJU09, Chicago Days

Last edit: by Paultzman.

Greg W Enters Portal 5 months 1 week ago #431804

• MarkRedman
  • Thank you received: 3009
I have confidence in our staff. They are doing a great job of retooling our roster. I believe that we will be fine next year, whether or not Greg returns. Having said that, I am still hoping that Greg comes back because he is a good player and we know that he has very good intangibles (great kid, good student and excellent teammate). Other guys we are considering may have good basketball skills but nobody can know how they might / might not fit into our team culture. With Greg, that's not an issue.

The following user(s) said Thank You: IDRAFT, redmen4life, Amaseinyourface, NCJohnnie

Greg W Enters Portal 5 months 1 week ago #431805

• MarkRedman

Paultzman post=431803 wrote:

Enright post=431802 wrote: If SJU has a choice of either Williams or Alvarado but not both who would complement the lineup best?

Alvarado IMO the better player easily, more durable and fierce competitor. No knock on Greg, but despite being a small duo, Posh and Alvarado would be something.

I really like Greg but, if you're offering me Alvarado as a replacement, I'm all in!!! Alvarado is a skilled player, a leader on the court and a true warrior.

The following user(s) said Thank You: Paultzman

Last edit: by MarkRedman.

Greg W Enters Portal 5 months 1 week ago #431806

• redmen4life
  • Thank you received: 224

MarkRedman post=431804 wrote: I have confidence in our staff. They are doing a great job of retooling our roster. I believe that we will be fine next year, whether or not Greg returns. Having said that, I am still hoping that Greg comes back because he is a good player and we know that he has very good intangibles (great kid, good student and excellent teammate). Other guys we are considering may have good basketball skills but nobody can know how they might / might not fit into our team culture. With Greg, that's not an issue.

100%

Chemistry. Culture.  All things we know Greg delivers on.

Anyone new will have to adapt to the system, culture, environment, etc.   Not easy.  And usually takes a few months into the season to figure out.
The following user(s) said Thank You: AlBovino, MarkRedman, panther2, JohnnyFan, NCJohnnie, BrooklynRed

Greg W Enters Portal 5 months 1 week ago #431808

• L J S A
  • Thank you received: 4529

redmen4life post=431806 wrote:

MarkRedman post=431804 wrote: I have confidence in our staff. They are doing a great job of retooling our roster. I believe that we will be fine next year, whether or not Greg returns. Having said that, I am still hoping that Greg comes back because he is a good player and we know that he has very good intangibles (great kid, good student and excellent teammate). Other guys we are considering may have good basketball skills but nobody can know how they might / might not fit into our team culture. With Greg, that's not an issue.

100%

Chemistry. Culture.  All things we know Greg delivers on.

Anyone new will have to adapt to the system, culture, environment, etc.   Not easy.  And usually takes a few months into the season to figure out.

I think staff is being extra careful with their targets on that front: Aside from Smith and Wheeler being well coached, I associate both Vermont and Purdue with chemistry and a good culture.

As for Soriano . . . Stepinac had good coaching and a positive team culture. 
The following user(s) said Thank You: Moose, gonzalo, NCJohnnie

Greg W Enters Portal 5 months 1 week ago #431809

• MarkRedman
Some guy named Johnson, who calls himself a basketball insider, just tweeted that it is very likely that Greg will return to St John's

Does anybody know this guy? Is he credible?

Last edit: by MarkRedman.

Greg W Enters Portal 5 months 1 week ago #431810

• L J S A
  • Thank you received: 4529
Does he have a first name?

Moderators: mkras99SJUFAN2espkengmanlawmanfankranmarsOhioFanotisredmannorthKnight