Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Greg W Enters Portal 3 months 1 week ago #431138

• MCNPA
  • Away
  • Thank you received: 3799

bamafan post=431137 wrote: This is like being in a committed relationship with a girl and she tells you she is going to start seeing others and she calls you while she's out on a date with another guy and she tells you she's having an OK time and maybe we can get together next week. 

“But we were on a break!!”

The following user(s) said Thank You: SJU85, bamafan

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Greg W Enters Portal 3 months 1 week ago #431139

• Enright
  • Thank you received: 701
Greg is probably doing the reasonable thing. If Alvarado or a similar guard commits to SJU he goes, if not he stays. Would Anderson stop recruiting a top guard if Greg announced he was staying. I doubt it so he is probably waiting to see what happens and that will lead to SJU ramping up the recruiting effort.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Monte, Frank61, Amaseinyourface

Greg W Enters Portal 3 months 1 week ago #431140

• Room112
  • Thank you received: 1527

L J S A post=431135 wrote: If you are listening to other programs, I don't think you really want to come back, except as a last resort. Greg has to do what's best for him, but that doesn't necessarily intersect with what's best for our staff and our team.

But on the off chance that he just has a very weird way of showing he wants to come back, he needs to make that decision before someone like an Alvarado enters portal and decides quickly on a return home. Because in that instance, Greg likely gets a firm handshake and a good luck in the future from the staff.

That's what I'm saying. So he's out there seeing if he can find a better situation otherwise is going to come back? Sounds great for him but not so much for St. John's. Are we a last resort for him in case nothing better is out there for him?
The following user(s) said Thank You: section10, redmanwest, Frank61, L J S A

Greg W Enters Portal 3 months 1 week ago #431143

• MCNPA
  • Away
I’d take a Desi Sills any day over A kid that doesn’t want to compete and be here.  
The following user(s) said Thank You: redmanwest, Frank61, Sherman, Sheridan & Grant

Greg W Enters Portal 3 months 1 week ago #431145

• Making Plays
  • Thank you received: 1624

Room112 post=431140 wrote:

L J S A post=431135 wrote: If you are listening to other programs, I don't think you really want to come back, except as a last resort. Greg has to do what's best for him, but that doesn't necessarily intersect with what's best for our staff and our team.

But on the off chance that he just has a very weird way of showing he wants to come back, he needs to make that decision before someone like an Alvarado enters portal and decides quickly on a return home. Because in that instance, Greg likely gets a firm handshake and a good luck in the future from the staff.

That's what I'm saying. So he's out there seeing if he can find a better situation otherwise is going to come back? Sounds great for him but not so much for St. John's. Are we a last resort for him in case nothing better is out there for him?

I don't think it's that, what I gathered from Zach's interview is Greg put his name in the portal, fully expected staff to be done with him when he did that, but staff really likes him, told him they'd like to have him back and that caused Greg to do some thinking and both sides have been communicating, while also doing what's in their best interest.  Zach said it's still more likely Greg as gone, but there's a chance, he said it's probably 60/40 or 65/35 he's gone.

My best guess on what's going on right now is staff has another player they are really interested in that they believe will be a big upgrade at the guard spot, however it may take a a little bit on that situation or it may not be 100%, so it doesn't hurt to still communicate with Greg to try to bring him back as a back-up plan, as they know they are getting a good kid, and they know what he brings.  And on Greg's side, from what I'm gathering is if he can find a good school closer to home that's going to offer him similar or more playing time than St. John's he's going to take it, otherwise he's coming back.  And honestly if both sides are being truthful and communicating their intentions I have no problem with that.  It's basically like "Hey, if we both don't find a prom date, we'll go together again next year."
The following user(s) said Thank You: Sherman, Sheridan & Grant, Chicago Days

Last edit: by Making Plays.

Greg W Enters Portal 3 months 1 week ago #431146

• MCNPA
  • Away

Making Plays post=431145 wrote:

Room112 post=431140 wrote:

I don't think it's that, what I gathered from Zach's interview is Greg put his name in the portal, fully expected staff to be done with him when he did that, but staff really likes him, told him they'd like to have him back and that caused Greg to do some thinking and both sides have been communicating, while also doing what's in their best interest.  Zach said it's still more likely Greg as gone, but there's a chance, he said it's probably 60/40 or 65/35 he's gone.

My best guess on what's going on right now is staff has another player they are really interested in that they believe will be a big upgrade at the guard spot, however it may take a a little bit on that situation or it may not be 100%, so it doesn't hurt to still communicate with Greg to try to bring him back as a back-up plan, as they know they are getting a good kid, and they know what he brings.  And on Greg's side, from what I'm gathering is if he can find a good school closer to home that's going to offer him similar or more playing time than St. John's he's going to take it, otherwise he's coming back.  And honestly if both sides are being truthful and communicating their intentions I have no problem with that.  It's basically like "Hey, if we both don't find a prom date, we'll go together again next year."

Doubtful is LSU not Houston where he’s gonna get those minutes. Gonna have to be lower level.

Greg W Enters Portal 3 months 1 week ago #431147

• Chicago Days
  • Thank you received: 3260

MCNPA post=431143 wrote: I’d take a Desi Sills any day over A kid that doesn’t want to compete and be here.  

I think you'd lose a lot of games as a coach if your sole criteria is not talent and fit, but merely availability.
Okay, Greg stepped into the Portal...the one and only time he could transfer on a free pass. And what high-major coach would pass on an elite, impact, player because they had a 'nice kid' and decent talent on the roster.
Answer: Not one. The promise to snare an elite talent--not the possible reality--is the driving factore. It's called human nature.
So, don't blame a player who this, one time, can explore what he thinks may be 'greener pastures.' 
Blame the system.

P.S. And how many fans would not favor grabbling an elite player over a lesser talented player--but a quality kid.
Answer: None to few.

Last edit: by Chicago Days.

Greg W Enters Portal 3 months 1 week ago #431148

• JohnnyFan
  • Thank you received: 3765
It's not be about minutes with Greg.  When he was healthy he played as much as anyone.  Take a look at his game log.  It was 31-34 minutes a game (when healthy).  He played 40 minutes versus Georgetown and 37 again Seton Hall in the Big East Tournament. 

Not to re-hash, but I think Greg was miffed by CMA deferring to an underclassmen in crunch time.  Right or wrong, I think that was a big part of it. 
The following user(s) said Thank You: SLYFOXX1968

Last edit: by JohnnyFan.

Greg W Enters Portal 3 months 1 week ago #431149

• MCNPA
  • Away

Chicago Days post=431147 wrote:

MCNPA post=431143 wrote: I’d take a Desi Sills any day over A kid that doesn’t want to compete and be here.  

I think you'd lose a lot of games as a coach if your sole criteria is not talent and fit, but merely availability.
Okay, Greg stepped into the Portal...the one and only time he could transfer on a free pass. And what high-major coach would pass on an elite, impact, player because they had a 'nice kid' and decent talent on the roster.
Answer: Not one. The promise to snare an elite talent--not the possible reality--is the driving factore. It's called human nature.
So, don't blame a player who this, one time, can explore what he thinks may be 'greener pastures.' 
Blame the system.

P.S. And how many fans would not favor grabbling an elite player over a lesser talented player--but a quality kid.
Answer: None to few.

I think Desi Sills is a better player too.  Plays balls to the wall.

Greg W Enters Portal 3 months 1 week ago #431150

• MCNPA
  • Away

Last edit: by MCNPA.
Moderators: mkras99SJUFAN2espkengmanlawmanfankranmarsOhioFanotisredmannorthKnight