Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Greg W Enters Portal 5 months 1 week ago #431127

• Chicago Days
  • Thank you received: 3261
It's a clear win imo for both St. John's and GW if he returned to the team in terms of continuity and famaliarity and personal achievement.
We wouldn't have to school anothet new player to learn CMA's sustem and Greg would likely have a more important role at SJU than elsewhere

The following user(s) said Thank You: kred, JohnnyFan

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Greg W Enters Portal 5 months 1 week ago #431128

• JohnnyFan
  • Thank you received: 3838

MCNPA post=431124 wrote:

NCJohnnie post=431122 wrote: There was absolutely nothing wrong with Greg's Dad's comments in my opinion and pretty expected that he'd look at LSU given his family lives in Louisiana.   This kid did every thing right here including he and Caraher starting that scholarship. Why the need to go negative? Jeez!

because when he said he’s leaving to find his value and worth, when he had plenty of minutes here  when not injured,  it certainly is a tell.  It’s a problem with this transfer game to begin with.  I’m not naive to this and nor should others be.  It happens all the time.  Negative? Me?  No, but I’m ok with moving on and trying to get better. 

MCNPA.....not sure if you are on Twitter, but the comment that rubbed you wrong was just one out of endless praise for our program and CMA   It's doubtful Greg's father wanted him to enter the portal.  Knowing you as an extremely positive poster, my guess is (if you followed Greg Sr. on Twitter) you would really appreciate him

The following user(s) said Thank You: Frank61, Chicago Days

Greg W Enters Portal 5 months 1 week ago #431129

• Amaseinyourface
  • Thank you received: 2759

L J S A post=431125 wrote:

Amaseinyourface post=431121 wrote:

• Paultzman post=431120

NCJohnnie post=431117 wrote: Totally get the allure of LSU & Houston both from a geographic and NCAA Tourney perspective. Having said that, hope Greg decides to return to CMA (who he can trust) and Johnnies as we are going to the tourney next year and would be sweet for Greg  to go there with us!     

Hopefully whether returning,  Houston, LSU, ISU, Miss St, and whoever else, I think it would be a mistake to drag this out too long. Staff may find someone in interim equally appealing or better.

With 4 spots open Paultz, is that really a concern?

If he's a starter like most here think he is, it's a huge concern. If a suitable replacement pops up, you take the new kid and don't look back. It would be a nice story if he returned, but in the portal era, I honestly think waiting is for suckers.

I’m not saying not to recruit another guard or to take a player who wants to commit, just that we are not dealing with only one open spot. Really not even close to that.

Greg W Enters Portal 5 months 1 week ago #431130

• MCNPA
  • Thank you received: 3843

JohnnyFan post=431128 wrote:

MCNPA post=431124 wrote:

NCJohnnie post=431122 wrote: There was absolutely nothing wrong with Greg's Dad's comments in my opinion and pretty expected that he'd look at LSU given his family lives in Louisiana.   This kid did every thing right here including he and Caraher starting that scholarship. Why the need to go negative? Jeez!

because when he said he’s leaving to find his value and worth, when he had plenty of minutes here  when not injured,  it certainly is a tell.  It’s a problem with this transfer game to begin with.  I’m not naive to this and nor should others be.  It happens all the time.  Negative? Me?  No, but I’m ok with moving on and trying to get better. 

MCNPA.....not sure if you are on Twitter, but the comment that rubbed you wrong was just one out of endless praise for our program and CMA   It's doubtful Greg's father wanted him to enter the portal.  Knowing you as an extremely positive poster, my guess is (if you followed Greg Sr. on Twitter) you would really appreciate him

No I don’t follow Twitter much, you are correct but they did rub me the wrong way.  The programs he’s “looking at” also rub me the wrong way regardless  of GWill.

For a while I thought it was great for him to come back but I’m not so sure after looking at the programs he’s shopping himself to.

I am of the opinion that we should  look to fill his spot ASAP and get a roster that wants to be here.  SJU fans have been waiting for GWill to step it up and be a starter but it hasn’t happened and it’s nobody’s fault but his own.  Injuries have happened too and he’s been given plenty of Pt when he was healthy.    Bottom line though is that he got the red carpet and didn’t make enough of it.  He lost his spot to Dunn who played a lot harder and was more aggressive.  

I’m sure he’s a great kid but as a SJU fan my interest is in SJU first and we have had a lot of kids bail.   A LOT.  Getting tired of it and just want to move forward with our team the way it’s going to be, not the free agency nonsense that is going on.   Greg should make a decision fast or we grab somebody better.  

The following user(s) said Thank You: redmanwest, jackfro, Frank61, RodinCA, Sherman, Sheridan & Grant

Last edit: by MCNPA.

Greg W Enters Portal 5 months 1 week ago #431131

• Paultzman
  • Paultzman's Avatar Topic Author
  • Away
  • Thank you received: 26604

Amaseinyourface post=431121 wrote:

• Paultzman post=431120

NCJohnnie post=431117 wrote: Totally get the allure of LSU & Houston both from a geographic and NCAA Tourney perspective. Having said that, hope Greg decides to return to CMA (who he can trust) and Johnnies as we are going to the tourney next year and would be sweet for Greg  to go there with us!     

Hopefully whether returning,  Houston, LSU, ISU, Miss St, and whoever else, I think it would be a mistake to drag this out too long. Staff may find someone in interim equally appealing or better.

With 4 spots open Paultz, is that really a concern?

Posh, Dylan, Transfer with ability, Smith and Pinzon seems ample, especially if the transfer could run some point. My overall opinion is we are approaching the time when Greg must decide if he is staying or not. 
The following user(s) said Thank You: redmanwest, Frank61, Sherman, Sheridan & Grant, L J S A

Greg W Enters Portal 5 months 1 week ago #431132

• redmanwest
  • Thank you received: 832
EXACTLY  what MCNPA and Paultzman said.  
The following user(s) said Thank You: Paultzman

Greg W Enters Portal 5 months 1 week ago #431133

• RedStormNC
  • Thank you received: 2283
Hope he can stay healthy, otherwise might hurt more than help. Seemed he was getting minutes even when he was physically limited. I thought it was questionable.

Last edit: by RedStormNC.

Greg W Enters Portal 5 months 1 week ago #431134

• JohnnyFan
  • Thank you received: 3838

MCNPA post=431130 wrote:

JohnnyFan post=431128 wrote:

MCNPA post=431124 wrote:

No I don’t follow Twitter much, you are correct but they did rub me the wrong way.  The programs he’s “looking at” also rub me the wrong way regardless  of GWill.

For a while I thought it was great for him to come back but I’m not so sure after looking at the programs he’s shopping himself to.

I am of the opinion that we should  look to fill his spot ASAP and get a roster that wants to be here.  SJU fans have been waiting for GWill to step it up and be a starter but it hasn’t happened and it’s nobody’s fault but his own.  Injuries have happened too and he’s been given plenty of Pt when he was healthy.    Bottom line though is that he got the red carpet and didn’t make enough of it.  He lost his spot to Dunn who played a lot harder and was more aggressive.  

I’m sure he’s a great kid but as a SJU fan my interest is in SJU first and we have had a lot of kids bail.   A LOT.  Getting tired of it and just want to move forward with our team the way it’s going to be, not the free agency nonsense that is going on.   Greg should make a decision fast or we grab somebody better.  

I never understand why people think GWill lost his spot to Dunn.  In any event, I disagree with you on Greg but completely respect your perspective.

I do think CMA would have pulled the trigger if he thought he had someone as good or better than Greg.  No way he is waiting.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Sherman, Sheridan & Grant

Last edit: by JohnnyFan.

Greg W Enters Portal 5 months 1 week ago #431135

• L J S A
  • Thank you received: 4529
If you are listening to other programs, I don't think you really want to come back, except as a last resort. Greg has to do what's best for him, but that doesn't necessarily intersect with what's best for our staff and our team.

But on the off chance that he just has a very weird way of showing he wants to come back, he needs to make that decision before someone like an Alvarado enters portal and decides quickly on a return home. Because in that instance, Greg likely gets a firm handshake and a good luck in the future from the staff.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Room112, Paultzman, MJDinkins, jackfro, Making Plays

Greg W Enters Portal 5 months 1 week ago #431137

• bamafan
  • Thank you received: 3473
This is like being in a committed relationship with a girl and she tells you she is going to start seeing others and she calls you while she's out on a date with another guy and she tells you she's having an OK time and maybe we can get together next week. 
The following user(s) said Thank You: Section3, Monte, Ray Morgan, L J S A, SigEpSJU09, Making Plays

Moderators: mkras99SJUFAN2espkengmanlawmanfankranmarsOhioFanotisredmannorthKnight