Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

...Can we make the Tournament? 1 week 5 days ago #421421

• Making Plays
  • Thank you received: 1019

Adam wrote: If we lose tomorrow (which I anticipate) then any bubble talk will only be regarding the NIT bubble. The NIT is very far from a sure thing at this point. As a fan who has no impact on the outcome of games, I'm just hoping for an NIT appearance. Expecting anything more would be setting myself up for disappointment, but the NIT would still be a solid outcome for this year regardless. 

Never count a Mike Anderson team out,  I learned that several years ago. I seen his team get blown out one year to a Vanderbilt team at home that had an RPI in the 200's and was considered the worst team in the conference by far, I was in the stands watching that game, at the time of that loss, like now it was in February and all hope was considered lost for the tournament looking at the remaining schedule. Then that same team went on to win 5 games in a row, 3 of those were on the road, and one of those road games was against a ranked South Carolina team that went on to make the final four that year. And that Mike Anderson team I'm talking about also went on to the finals of the SEC tournament.

And I'm not saying they are going to win against Villanova, but Mike's going to have his team ready to play tomorrow you can bank on that.  I've never seen any of his teams lay down and not have a great performance after a heartbreaking loss.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Room112, RedStormRising, Adam, NCJohnnie

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

...Can we make the Tournament? 1 week 5 days ago #421422

• L J S A
  • Thank you received: 3929
Immediately after Duke beat Virginia I was reading that they were back in the NCAA picture. If writers are going to say that, then we can definitely still make the tournament.

...Can we make the Tournament? 1 week 5 days ago #421447

• Mean Gene
  • Thank you received: 1186
Stanford, the last team in according to Lunardi, lost to Washington St in triple overtime. A lot of bubble teams having a hard time of it. 

...Can we make the Tournament? 1 week 4 days ago #421460

• SJUNC
  • Thank you received: 209

Adam wrote: Yes I do agree that we would still make the Tournament if we lose tomorrow and then win 4 or 5 in a row, but I wouldn't even start thinking about that until we win a couple in a row. 

I think a lot of people are just assuming we'll make the NIT at a minimum, but that's definitely not the case. It's only 16 teams this year and right now we'd likely be in the back half of that. Lose some more games and we could be out. 
​​

​​​​​

Was thinking the same thing, especially with automatic bids going to conference regular season winners who lose their conference tournaments (one bid leagues). That plus some blue bloods being in the NIT won't help.

...Can we make the Tournament? 1 week 4 days ago #421465

• Not an alum
  • Thank you received: 151
Just saw Linardi's bracket. In what world is Minnesota a tournament team?  That's shameful 

Last edit: by Not an alum.

...Can we make the Tournament? 1 week 4 days ago #421481

• Adam
  • Adam's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 1334

SJUNC wrote:

Adam wrote: Yes I do agree that we would still make the Tournament if we lose tomorrow and then win 4 or 5 in a row, but I wouldn't even start thinking about that until we win a couple in a row. 

I think a lot of people are just assuming we'll make the NIT at a minimum, but that's definitely not the case. It's only 16 teams this year and right now we'd likely be in the back half of that. Lose some more games and we could be out. 
​​

​​​​​

Was thinking the same thing, especially with automatic bids going to conference regular season winners who lose their conference tournaments (one bid leagues). That plus some blue bloods being in the NIT won't help.

​​​​​

Fortunately I think this year there aren't autobids for the NIT, so it may be 16 available slots. Still, won't be easy and a reduced/focused field is even more of a reason to want to make it. 

...Can we make the Tournament? 1 week 4 days ago #421502

• SLYFOXX1968
  • Thank you received: 817
I'm sure Coach will try and motivate his Team tonight vs Nova . I'm sure he laid it out for them for the DePaul game too . We were only down 41-40 at the half  but , all those unforced errors and defensive lapses doomed us . We got within 5 with a spurt but , then had a slew of awful possessions . Against the Wildcats , it will take a effort of extraordinary play from everyone for the whole 40 minutes . Coach will have to adjust to flow as it happens and not let it get away . Let's go Johnnies . 

...Can we make the Tournament? 1 week 4 days ago #421509

• QueensBall
  • Thank you received: 988
I have a good feeling about our guys tonight. They've been solid in bounce back games and I think they're a little embarrassed and eager to make it right. I bet they show up and keep it close.

I'm more concerned about Villanova. Jay Wright will have worked with them on the pressure. Posh's intensity won't take Gillespie by surprise. They'll probably shoot better and you know they've seen how bad our interior defense has been. If we can't turn them over a bunch again or shoot completely lights out, I'm not confident we'll be able to handle their inside-out game.

(sorry, meant to post this in the Villanova thread but I guess it applies...)
The following user(s) said Thank You: Eric, NCJohnnie

Last edit: by QueensBall.

...Can we make the Tournament? 1 week 4 days ago #421578

• Adam
  • Adam's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 1334
Likely to be on the NIT bubble after tonight. Need to win another couple games to salvage this season. Going from top 25 votes to nothing in 1 month would be brutal. 

...Can we make the Tournament? 1 week 4 days ago #421612

• EliteBaller K
  • Thank you received: 191
After tonigght the only way to make the ncaa tournament is to win the B.E. championship.

Moderators: mkras99SJUFAN2espkengmanlawmanfankranmarsOhioFanotisredmannorthKnight