Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Mike Anderson - Recruiting, Coaching, Etc. 1 week 32 minutes ago #412108

  • Monte
  • Monte's Avatar
  • Away
  • Posts: 6803
  • Thank you received: 4517

jerseyshorejohnny wrote: The reality is that in the Age of Covid, the university has other pressing concerns.

I don't think basketball or state of the art facilities are among the most urgent.

Agreed, wasnt expecting anything in the near future.  Hopefully down the road, when things get back to normal. Whatever "normal" may be. 
 

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Mike Anderson - Recruiting, Coaching, Etc. 1 week 14 minutes ago #412112

  • SLYFOXX1968
  • SLYFOXX1968's Avatar
  • Offline
  • Posts: 1063
  • Thank you received: 646
JSJ, agree the BB Program falls behind the other Financial and Academic issues that St John's is facing . But , the Brand of the School now decades later , was a positive one due to the On Court success the Team enjoyed for most of its existence . It's only a faint memory but , it wasn't that long ago that St John's had the 4 th Winningest record in all College BB .  G'Town , Providence , Marquette , Seton Hall all play their Games at large Public Arenas , as we have done at MSG .  The idea of a New On Campus facility is overrated and too expensive . We probably shouldn't play any Games there going forward . Use MSG, the new Belmont and to a lesser extent Barclays .  If we only draw 5000 it's not because the Arena is too big , it's because we haven't been a Winning or Competitive Team in years . If we ever regain a Competitive level of play in the BE , Post Covid , attendance at MSG won't be a problem . 
The following user(s) said Thank You: Knight

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Mike Anderson - Recruiting, Coaching, Etc. 6 days 23 hours ago #412117

  • mjmaherjr
  • mjmaherjr's Avatar
  • Offline
  • Posts: 12823
  • Thank you received: 5669

SLYFOXX1968 wrote: JSJ, agree the BB Program falls behind the other Financial and Academic issues that St John's is facing . But , the Brand of the School now decades later , was a positive one due to the On Court success the Team enjoyed for most of its existence . It's only a faint memory but , it wasn't that long ago that St John's had the 4 th Winningest record in all College BB .  G'Town , Providence , Marquette , Seton Hall all play their Games at large Public Arenas , as we have done at MSG .  The idea of a New On Campus facility is overrated and too expensive . We probably shouldn't play any Games there going forward . Use MSG, the new Belmont and to a lesser extent Barclays .  If we only draw 5000 it's not because the Arena is too big , it's because we haven't been a Winning or Competitive Team in years . If we ever regain a Competitive level of play in the BE , Post Covid , attendance at MSG won't be a problem . 


No way we make as much money ( the school ) playing all their games at msg as Providence dies playing at the dunk if you had equal attendance. Absolutely no way
 

The following user(s) said Thank You: jerseyshorejohnny

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Mike Anderson - Recruiting, Coaching, Etc. 6 days 23 hours ago #412119

  • mjmaherjr
  • mjmaherjr's Avatar
  • Offline
  • Posts: 12823
  • Thank you received: 5669
And as an example of cost the cost to redo the Dunk I guess 10 or 15 years ago waa definitely at least 75 million. I don't think it was 100 mill but that's at least 10 years ago and that's Rhode Island costs which certainly are less than New York Costs and inflation on cost of materials 
The following user(s) said Thank You: jerseyshorejohnny

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Mike Anderson - Recruiting, Coaching, Etc. 6 days 23 hours ago #412120

  • fordham96
  • fordham96's Avatar
  • Offline
  • Posts: 2352
  • Thank you received: 2123

jerseyshorejohnny wrote: The reality is that in the Age of Covid, the university has other pressing concerns.

I don't think basketball or state of the art facilities are among the most urgent.

Universities are bleeding cash right now me thinks upgrading your on campus facility is not at the top of the list of University spending priorities. 

Kids want to win and they want to play for a coach and program who they think can win and put them in a good position to potentially excel at next level. And that comes with a combination of on court success and building relationships off court.

 

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Mike Anderson - Recruiting, Coaching, Etc. 6 days 23 hours ago #412122

  • Enright
  • Enright's Avatar
  • Offline
  • Posts: 1280
  • Thank you received: 582
Universities are bleeding cash right now and basketball is not their primary objective but you may not have a better year to fund raise at SJU with Wall St. gains sky high and a good number of SJU alumni and basketball fans enjoying high profits. Unlike SJU basketball Wall St has good and bad years and this year may be one not to be missed.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Mike Anderson - Recruiting, Coaching, Etc. 6 days 22 hours ago #412129

  • jerseyshorejohnny
  • jerseyshorejohnny's Avatar Topic Author
  • Offline
  • Posts: 4847
  • Thank you received: 2348

mjmaherjr wrote: And as an example of cost the cost to redo the Dunk I guess 10 or 15 years ago waa definitely at least 75 million. I don't think it was 100 mill but that's at least 10 years ago and that's Rhode Island costs which certainly are less than New York Costs and inflation on cost of materials 

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dunkin%27_Donuts_Center
 

The following user(s) said Thank You: mjmaherjr

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Mike Anderson - Recruiting, Coaching, Etc. 6 days 22 hours ago #412133

  • Enright
  • Enright's Avatar
  • Offline
  • Posts: 1280
  • Thank you received: 582
I think the feeling was at the end of last season SJU was not the equal of the top big east teams but was  at least competitive. As pointed out in another post this years team seems to have regressed and that is the reason for fans disappointment.
Paultzmans post the other day was right on. A few years ago two top ten Jucos could be counted on to be solid starters and  contributors. No longer the case.
 
The following user(s) said Thank You: redmannorth, Paultzman, NCJohnnie

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Mike Anderson - Recruiting, Coaching, Etc. 6 days 21 hours ago #412139

  • Section3
  • Section3's Avatar
  • Offline
  • Posts: 2511
  • Thank you received: 707

jerseyshorejohnny wrote: Pikiel is a very good coach who has also been helped by a new state of the art facilty which sure doesn't hurt when recruiting

www.athleticbusiness.com/stadium-arena/w...etball-facility.html

We MUST have a meaningful "Athletics" componet in a capital campaign in order to help Coach Anderson recruit.




 

+1000

In order to get substantial $ commitment will have to be tied to something tangible

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Mike Anderson - Recruiting, Coaching, Etc. 6 days 20 hours ago #412147

  • jerseyshorejohnny
  • jerseyshorejohnny's Avatar Topic Author
  • Offline
  • Posts: 4847
  • Thank you received: 2348

Enright wrote: Universities are bleeding cash right now and basketball is not their primary objective but you may not have a better year to fund raise at SJU with Wall St. gains sky high and a good number of SJU alumni and basketball fans enjoying high profits. Unlike SJU basketball Wall St has good and bad years and this year may be one not to be missed.

Unfortuntely, many grads with outsized resouces have shown no willingness to share their wealth with their alma mater

Maybe Fr. Shanley can get them to reconsider.

 

The following user(s) said Thank You: Monte, bamafan, SLYFOXX1968

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last edit: by jerseyshorejohnny.
Moderators: mkras99SJUFAN2espkengmanlawmanfankranmarsOhioFanotisredmannorthKnight