Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Johnnies Tidbits 3 weeks 3 days ago #410348

• Section3
  • Thank you received: 707

Paultzman wrote: Excerpts from article above 

"Still, he was an absolute load under the basket on Wednesday and proved to be one of the more prolific rebounders at the event. Stanley lacks elite height for his position, but forwards don’t come much stronger or more energetic than him."

"What he’ll be at the college level from a scoring standpoint is a little unclear, as he needs to improve his touch around the rim. That said, he impacts games significantly on the glass"

haven't seen him but description sounds like French of St. Louis
The following user(s) said Thank You: SJU85, redmanwest

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last edit: by Section3.

Johnnies Tidbits 3 weeks 3 days ago #410349

• redmanwest
  • Thank you received: 601

THIS  is revisionist history.   Not everyone wanted him to leave.    wrote: Does anybody else seem to realize that the best way to get popular with the St. John's fanbase is to leave the program?

I mean, we did nothing but complain about Owens while he was here. Most fans cheered his departure. It's revisionist history now, to say that it was a lost opportunity. We were all glad he left.

As an aside about Amar, he was another guy the fans treated terribly during his time here. Literal moans and groans every time he came in off the bench, and literal shouts of "No! No!" every time he touched the ball (even though he was no lock to shoot it). Hey, I don't think he was a great player by any means, but you know he had to hear those reactions, and I'm sure they didn't do much for his confidence. And no, it's not like Yankees fans booing their players (which I don't particularly like either), because at least in the pros, you know what you signed up for. Most of these kids aren't going to the NBA anyway, so booing serves no purpose, IMO.

That being said, the fans who were at his last home game (the double-OT win over Butler without Ponds) did appreciate his performance in that game. Didn't put up great numbers, but his defense and boxing out prevented Butler's big guys from dominating the boards. We wouldn't have won that game without him.

Johnnies Tidbits 3 weeks 3 days ago #410352

• lawmanfan
  • Thank you received: 914
To cover the thread:

1. Nobody was happy to see Tariq go. And by nobody, I mean NOBODY. 

2.  The profile of Omar Stanley is a stand-in for the profile of every Anderson recruit.  It isn't hard to understand what Coach is looking for in the players he recruits. 

3.  Amar was a favorite of one of our frequent readers (and rare posters), Muse.  I'll probably have more to say about that next week, but for now what I'll say is that Muse generally knew what he was looking at, which lead me to believe that Amar was probably a failure of development by the staff - especially since he's been quite productive as a pro in a pretty good league. 
The following user(s) said Thank You: SJU85, redmanwest, RedStormRising, panther2, JohnnyFan, Knight

Johnnies Tidbits 3 weeks 3 days ago #410355

• Monte
  • Away
  • Thank you received: 4517

lawmanfan wrote: To cover the thread:

2.  The profile of Omar Stanley is a stand-in for the profile of every Anderson recruit.  It isn't hard to understand what Coach is looking for in the players he recruits. 

3.  Amar was a favorite of one of our frequent readers (and rare posters), Muse.  I'll probably have more to say about that next week, but for now what I'll say is that Muse generally knew what he was looking at, which lead me to believe that Amar was probably a failure of development by the staff - especially since he's been quite productive as a pro in a pretty good league. 

Im probably one of the few people around here who did not know till a few days ago that Amar and Luka Garza of Iowa are cousins. Some serious basketball genes in that family. 

The following user(s) said Thank You: SJUNC, Coaster

Johnnies Tidbits 3 weeks 3 days ago #410356

• bamafan
  • Away
  • Thank you received: 2683

Monte wrote:

lawmanfan wrote: To cover the thread:

Im probably one of the few people around here who did not know till a few days ago that Amar and Luka Garza of Iowa are cousins. Some serious basketball genes in that family. 
Maybe you are but i'm just learning that fact right now. LOL

The following user(s) said Thank You: Monte

Johnnies Tidbits 3 weeks 3 days ago #410357

• richard A Steinfeld
  • Thank you received: 986
The problem I had w Amar is, on a team we needed an inside presence , he kept hoisting up 3s. And he wasn't that good of a 3 point shooter. His emphasis should have been his inside game and rebounding, he had nice size. As others have said, one could argue his coaching and development could have been better.

Johnnies Tidbits 3 weeks 3 days ago #410362

• Jeff Smith
  • Thank you received: 35
Hopefully Stanley is another Ty Grant.  However, he seems to have metal mitts which doesn't equate to being a good foul shooter. 

Johnnies Tidbits 3 weeks 2 days ago #410390

• fuchsia
  • Thank you received: 610

richard A Steinfeld wrote: The problem I had w Amar is, on a team we needed an inside presence , he kept hoisting up 3s. And he wasn't that good of a 3 point shooter. His emphasis should have been his inside game and rebounding, he had nice size. As others have said, one could argue his coaching and development could have been better.

Hi Rich, Thought Amar lacked the lateral quickness to do well on the inside.  Happy Holidays.

The following user(s) said Thank You: richard A Steinfeld

Johnnies Tidbits 3 weeks 2 days ago #410396

• richard A Steinfeld
  • Thank you received: 986

fuchsia wrote:

richard A Steinfeld wrote: The problem I had w Amar is, on a team we needed an inside presence , he kept hoisting up 3s. And he wasn't that good of a 3 point shooter. His emphasis should have been his inside game and rebounding, he had nice size. As others have said, one could argue his coaching and development could have been better.

Hi Rich, Thought Amar lacked the lateral quickness to do well on the inside.  Happy Holidays.
You may be right, but he didn't help us on the outside, except the Syracuse game where he was a monster, Merry Christmas

Johnnies Tidbits 3 weeks 1 day ago #410435

• James Ray Lamb
  • Thank you received: 169
Has anyone heard if Rasheem Dunn is eligible to come back next season? How does the NCAA winter sports exception work?

Moderators: mkras99SJUFAN2espkengmanlawmanfankranmarsOhioFanotisredmannorthKnight