Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

NBA Draft 4 days 8 hours ago #402413

• bamafan
  • Thank you received: 2464

L J S A wrote:

redmannorth wrote:

Paultzman wrote: Originally undrafted

Fred VanVleet has agreed to a four-year, $85M deal to re-sign with the Toronto Raptors, agent Brian Jungreis of @ParLay_SE told @TheAthleticNBA @Stadium.

For the foreseeable future it will be the Tampa Bay Raptors. Team playing the upcoming season out of Tampa. The Federal Government refused to allow the Raptors and visiting teams to play in Canada this season.

Any word why it wouldn't be the Buffalo Raptors?

Yes, because they moved to Tampa. ;) :)
The following user(s) said Thank You: L J S A

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

NBA Draft 4 days 8 hours ago #402414

• bamafan
  • Thank you received: 2464
Would you rather spend the winter in Tampa or Buffalo? :)
The following user(s) said Thank You: austour, sjc88, L J S A, BrooklynRed

NBA Draft 4 days 7 hours ago #402416

• L J S A
  • Thank you received: 3462

bamafan wrote: Would you rather spend the winter in Tampa or Buffalo? :)

That is a good point. I guess I didn't think of it because guys making millions of dollars a year should suck it up and not act like whiny toddlers. :lol:
The following user(s) said Thank You: bamafan

NBA Draft 4 days 4 hours ago #402421

• BrooklynRed
  • Thank you received: 319

L J S A wrote:

That is a good point. I guess I didn't think of it because guys making millions of dollars a year should suck it up and not act like whiny toddlers. :lol:

Toronto wanted to play in a Stanley Cup town. ;) Also Tampa has a good arena from a major league franchise point of view-not sure of Buffalo. From a NBA perspective, move Toronto (Tampa) to Southeast division and Washington to Atlantic division. Move to Tampa could also have had something to do with air travel to Buffalo in winter with its massive snowstorms. Furthermore, NBA may have to resort to "bubble" if they start next month so they wouldn't be in Toronto.

NBA Draft 4 days 3 hours ago #402422

• EliteBaller K
  • Thank you received: 103

BrooklynRed wrote:

L J S A wrote:

Toronto wanted to play in a Stanley Cup town. ;) Also Tampa has a good arena from a major league franchise point of view-not sure of Buffalo. From a NBA perspective, move Toronto (Tampa) to Southeast division and Washington to Atlantic division. Move to Tampa could also have had something to do with air travel to Buffalo in winter with its massive snowstorms. Furthermore, NBA may have to resort to "bubble" if they start next month so they wouldn't be in Toronto.

Stanley cup Town? When was the last time any Canadian team won the cup? Lol (Canadians in 93 :-) ). I kid, I kid.
The following user(s) said Thank You: BrooklynRed

NBA Draft 2 days 18 hours ago #402469

• Beast of the East
  • Thank you received: 4222

Moose wrote: Many say NY basketball is dead. The city still produces players. The problem is they leave for HS and College

This infuriates me. Much of the reason HS'ers leave their schools to play for private academies are academics. This creates a system where athletes underperforming in the classroom are given an opportunity to play while their HS grades are raised. I suspect many of them helped these private schools create superb basketball teams that in turn help keep enrollment high and increase donations from alumni. Rather than be academically ineligible, it keeps them playing, and creates a transcript that colleges find acceptable.

Here's something I just learned that goes far beyond athletics - 1/3 of all freshman entering college are reading below grade level and required to take remedial reading courses. Many schools no longer call these courses remedial, lest they hurt feelings.

The whole thing sickens me how we abuse young athletes. The ones who don't make a lot of money playing basketball are left in a scrap heap of glory days and low career prospects
The following user(s) said Thank You: JackofVirginia, fuchsia

NBA Draft 2 days 16 hours ago #402484

• Paultzman
  • Thank you received: 20895

Beast of the East wrote:

Moose wrote: Many say NY basketball is dead. The city still produces players. The problem is they leave for HS and College

This infuriates me. Much of the reason HS'ers leave their schools to play for private academies are academics. This creates a system where athletes underperforming in the classroom are given an opportunity to play while their HS grades are raised. I suspect many of them helped these private schools create superb basketball teams that in turn help keep enrollment high and increase donations from alumni. Rather than be academically ineligible, it keeps them playing, and creates a transcript that colleges find acceptable.

Here's something I just learned that goes far beyond athletics - 1/3 of all freshman entering college are reading below grade level and required to take remedial reading courses. Many schools no longer call these courses remedial, lest they hurt feelings.

The whole thing sickens me how we abuse young athletes. The ones who don't make a lot of money playing basketball are left in a scrap heap of glory days and low career prospects

Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: JackofVirginia, bamafan

NBA Draft 2 days 15 hours ago #402491

• Enright
  • Thank you received: 532
Certainly today’s athletes are used by the current system but sixty years ago when I attended SJU eighty per cent of high school players were not accepted by colleges because of grades and played out their careers in the school yards. Today’s athletes would probably choose today’s system over the old one.

NBA Draft 2 days 15 hours ago #402493

• fuchsia
  • Thank you received: 577
The model for doing it right is to be found in STJ's care for and support of Rob Thomas, blew out his knee but valued his life.
The following user(s) said Thank You: gonzalo

Moderators: mkras99SJUFAN2espkengmanlawmanfankranmarsOhioFanotisredmannorthKnight