Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Julian is Fine 3 months 2 weeks ago #434794

• Ray Morgan
  • Thank you received: 1353
No need to try to fool ourselves. Without Julian, the upcoming season will be a real struggle. With Julian, we are still in need of a quality transfer to make some noise.  CMA's teams have overachieved so far, but I'm not so sure it will happen again if Julian decides to chase his dream.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Paultzman, nycfan, Beast of the East, redken, RedStormRising, Delaware, Andrew

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Julian is Fine 3 months 2 weeks ago #434798

• L J S A
  • Thank you received: 4529

Ray Morgan post=434794 wrote: No need to try to fool ourselves. Without Julian, the upcoming season will be a real struggle. With Julian, we are still in need of a quality transfer to make some noise.  CMA's teams have overachieved so far, but I'm not so sure it will happen again if Julian decides to chase his dream.

I can only think of one player left on the market who could get close to matching the ppg void left by a departing Julian, but through a group effort I think we're built more to absorb the loss of Julian than the loss of Posh. I think we'd be way more screwed if Posh suddenly decided he wanted out.

Julian is Fine 3 months 2 weeks ago #434801

• usguard
  • Thank you received: 486
It will be interesting to see how far his shooting progress,if it did not see his game last just about the same as last yr.If it really got a lot better then we have something

Julian is Fine 3 months 2 weeks ago #434804

• thetux1
  • Thank you received: 139

usguard post=434801 wrote: It will be interesting to see how far his shooting progress,if it did not see his game last just about the same as last yr.If it really got a lot better then we have something

huh?

Julian is Fine 3 months 2 weeks ago #434812

• Beast of the East
  • Thank you received: 5423
Our concerns are really paradoxical.   The short outlook is we lose our very best player to the NBA, and our 2021-2022 NCAA tourney outlook evaporates.   The long outlook is to draw top players to your school, it helps enormously to have guys who have made the pros.   To a very large extent, having Julian drafted and in the NBA helps our program in the long run more than it hurts.  

Great kid, great leader, overall our best player in quite a while.   I'm rooting for him to do well in the combines and be playing for an NBA team next season.    If not, we get an all-Big East player back who may just be in the conversation for the Wooden award and the centerpiece of our NCAA hopes.   Can't lose proposition.
The following user(s) said Thank You: section10, Frank61, BrooklynRed

Julian is Fine 3 months 2 weeks ago #434813

• Boo Harvey
  • Thank you received: 866

Beast of the East post=434812 wrote: Our concerns are really paradoxical.   The short outlook is we lose our very best player to the NBA, and our 2021-2022 NCAA tourney outlook evaporates.   The long outlook is to draw top players to your school, it helps enormously to have guys who have made the pros.   To a very large extent, having Julian drafted and in the NBA helps our program in the long run more than it hurts.  

Great kid, great leader, overall our best player in quite a while.   I'm rooting for him to do well in the combines and be playing for an NBA team next season.    If not, we get an all-Big East player back who may just be in the conversation for the Wooden award and the centerpiece of our NCAA hopes.   Can't lose proposition.

If Julian leaves this year to play in the Development League and through hard work and luck becomes a marginal NBA player it will not help recruiting at all.

The following user(s) said Thank You: redmannorth, IDRAFT, Frank61, bamafan, shamsman2, JohnnyFan

Julian is Fine 3 months 2 weeks ago #434814

• otis
  • Away
  • Thank you received: 1923

Beast of the East post=434812 wrote: ......  The long outlook is to draw top players to your school, it helps enormously to have guys who have made the pros.   To a very large extent, having Julian drafted and in the NBA helps our program in the long run more than it hurts......

_____

Wishful thinking .... if true then having Harkless drafted 2012 at #15 in the first round of the NBA draft would have lead talented players to St. John's but did not.  

The hard cold reality is that in the last 20 years St. John's had had only 2 players drafted in the NBA draft: Harkless and Dom Pointer in the second round in 2015 and neither draft pick helped St. John's recruiting  "enormously".

My advice to Julian is to do whatever he thinks is best for him and his future.  By all accounts he is a win, on and off the basketball court which reflects favorably upon his Mom & Dad.
The following user(s) said Thank You: gonzalo, Frank61, Las Vegan, bamafan, shamsman2, Rehobie, JohnnyFan

Julian is Fine 3 months 2 weeks ago #434815

• Room112
  • Thank you received: 1559
Neither brother listed on the current update on the NBADraft.net mock draft, which was updated a few days ago. I don't believe either has been listed at any point this year

www.nbadraft.net/nba-mock-drafts/

Obviously I'm hoping he returns (and still think he does), but will wish him the best no matter what decision he makes. He deserves it. 

Julian is Fine 3 months 2 weeks ago #434818

• Moose
  • Thank you received: 5761
Food for thought yesterday on Instagram Julian posted a picture of him and Posh saying 'no one wants to see this duo'
The following user(s) said Thank You: austour, Section3, redmannorth, Room112, SJUNC, Paultzman, SJU85, redken, gonzalo, Frank61 and 9 other people also said thanks.

Julian is Fine 3 months 2 weeks ago #434828

• Rob
  • Thank you received: 443
You never know what happens in these scenarios when it isn’t obvious. Fans speculate because that’s what fans do. An objective reading of the tea leaves has always been returns unless something surprising happens. Going through the process and combine is beneficial to him - and the staff in recruiting. I know we’ve been disappointed before as SJU fans with this stuff, but recall Ponds came back for year 3 when that was perhaps an even dicier proposition. All you can do is hope the kid makes the best decision. 

If he does turn pro - and I don’t think he will from an outsiders perspective - we have to start figuring out what other coaches do to get kids to stay. Willard for example lost Whitehead - which probably kept his program out of sanctions/probation - but got Delgado, Powell and Mamu to all return for their senior seasons.  So much of this is individualized and luck, so who knows what the formula is or if there even is one. Perhaps Tiny taught him how to blackmail kids to get them to stay (I kid, I kid). 

Moderators: mkras99SJUFAN2espkengmanlawmanfankranmarsOhioFanotisredmannorthKnight