Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Julian is Fine 3 months 2 weeks ago #434766

• Sju grad 13
  • Thank you received: 857

Paultzman post=434764 wrote: Source: St John’s star Julian Champagnie has received an invite to NBA Combine. He won’t be making a decision about his future before it. #sjubb. Deadline to stay in draft or return to school is July 7.

Told that Julian's twin brother Justin has also recieved an invite to combine. Justin Champagnie has signed with an agent and is not returning to school.

Zach B

Congratulations to Julian and Justin. Interesting tidbit Julian Champagnie has made the latest mock draft as a second round pick while Justin has not. 

The following user(s) said Thank You: SJU85

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Julian is Fine 3 months 2 weeks ago #434769

• L J S A
  • Thank you received: 4529
I don't know about you guys, but I've got Wusu penciled in to fill Julian's spot.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Tonyinfairfield , RedStormRising

Julian is Fine 3 months 2 weeks ago #434772

• Mean Gene
  • Thank you received: 1305
If Julian leaves they’re going to have to bring in two more very good players to have any shot at really accomplishing anything significant this upcoming season 
The following user(s) said Thank You: nycfan

Julian is Fine 3 months 2 weeks ago #434774

• Paultzman
  • Paultzman's Avatar Topic Author
  • Away
  • Thank you received: 26604

L J S A post=434769 wrote: I don't know about you guys, but I've got Wusu penciled in to fill Julian's spot.

Julian has good opportunity at combine, but imo will be back at SJU. If he kills it there, good for him though.
The following user(s) said Thank You: L J S A, NCJohnnie, BrooklynRed

Julian is Fine 3 months 2 weeks ago #434775

• L J S A
  • Thank you received: 4529

Mean Gene post=434772 wrote: If Julian leaves they’re going to have to bring in two more very good players to have any shot at really accomplishing anything significant this upcoming season 

Define "significant." Because even with Julian, I still think we need Alvarado to get to where I want to be.

I don't think it's an absolute certainty that we can't be good without Julian. Obviously makes it much harder, but not every program that loses a star sucks the next season. Several guys boost their production and a freshman gives you more than expected, and the ppg numbers are replaced. It's happened forever in college ball. 

Julian is Fine 3 months 2 weeks ago #434776

• NCJohnnie
  • Thank you received: 6679
Here's the way I see it and all this is subject to change if incoming freshman overachieve or Wusu makes a huge jump from last year:

Scenario D - Julian leaves and rather than adding a difference maker combo guard we add a McGriff type kid - extremely lucky to make NIT;

Scenario C - Julian leaves and we add a combo guard as good or better than Stef Smith - we are  a bubble team;

Scenario B - Julian returns and we add a combo guard who is not a BE talent - we are a tourney team but a middle of the pack BIG East team;

Scenario A - Julian returns and we add a combo guard as good or better than Stef Smith - we are a top 4 BE team and a real threat to make week 2 of tourney. 

But then again I thought Cole would be a real good piece for us so wtf do I know? 

The following user(s) said Thank You: lawmanfan, RedStormRising, Amaseinyourface

Julian is Fine 3 months 2 weeks ago #434778

• Mean Gene
  • Thank you received: 1305

L J S A post=434775 wrote:

Mean Gene post=434772 wrote: If Julian leaves they’re going to have to bring in two more very good players to have any shot at really accomplishing anything significant this upcoming season 

Define "significant." Because even with Julian, I still think we need Alvarado to get to where I want to be.

I don't think it's an absolute certainty that we can't be good without Julian. Obviously makes it much harder, but not every program that loses a star sucks the next season. Several guys boost their production and a freshman gives you more than expected, and the ppg numbers are replaced. It's happened forever in college ball. 

Significant for me as far as SJU basketball is concerned would be making the tournament and winning a game.Big East Tournament finals

Last edit: by Mean Gene.

Julian is Fine 3 months 2 weeks ago #434786

• Making Plays
  • Away
  • Thank you received: 1654

Paultzman post=434764 wrote: Source: St John’s star Julian Champagnie has received an invite to NBA Combine. He won’t be making a decision about his future before it. #sjubb. Deadline to stay in draft or return to school is July 7.

Told that Julian's twin brother Justin has also recieved an invite to combine. Justin Champagnie has signed with an agent and is not returning to school.

Zach B

Have the released how many people got combine invites yet?

I thought I had read somewhere that there will be around 100 invites, if so, doesn't seem surprising he would get an invite, he's for sure within the top 100.

Julian is Fine 3 months 2 weeks ago #434787

• JohnnyFan
  • Thank you received: 3838

Making Plays post=434786 wrote:

Zach B

I thought I had read somewhere that there will be around 100 invites, if so, doesn't seem surprising he would get an invite, he's for sure within the top 100.

NBA GMs are given a list of around 100 college players to vote on.  The top 60-70 vote getters receive invitations.

The first paragraph if this article, from last year, outlines the process.  Zags 2020 Article

The following user(s) said Thank You: Beast of the East

Last edit: by JohnnyFan.

Julian is Fine 3 months 2 weeks ago #434788

• Making Plays
  • Away
  • Thank you received: 1654

JohnnyFan post=434787 wrote:

Making Plays post=434786 wrote:

Zach B

NBA GMs are given a list of around 100 college players to vote on.  The top 60-70 vote getters receive invitations.

The first paragraph if this article, from last year, outlines the process.  Zags 2020 Article

This was the article I was referring to.

indiansports11.com/news/nba-to-ask-round...g-league-elite-camp/

Moderators: mkras99SJUFAN2espkengmanlawmanfankranmarsOhioFanotisredmannorthKnight