Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:
  • 1
  • 2

TOPIC:

Seth Davis Article on Former College Players Unhappy Overseas 1 week 1 day ago #399744

  • Mike Zaun
  • Mike Zaun's Avatar Topic Author
  • Offline
  • Posts: 2712
  • Thank you received: 1421
theathletic.com/2003161/2020/10/13/ameri...cts-what-it-is-like/

Interesting insight...show this to the kids who want to leave immediately instead of staying all 4 yrs. Of course it's up to them, but it's not the same once you leave major college hoops in the US.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Moose, gonzalo, panther2, Andrew, QueensBall, NCJohnnie

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Seth Davis Article on Former College Players Unhappy Overseas 1 week 1 day ago #399745

  • Moose
  • Moose's Avatar
  • Offline
  • Posts: 11030
  • Thank you received: 4321
Thanks for posting. This is an accurate recap sadly. If there is one thing American's do well its the formation of our sports leagues and the central influence that we have. In Europe whether its football or basketball or other sports its the Wild West with a lot of slimey characters.

Add in the fact a good number of the American basketball players who go over, probably aren't used to living a life where they aren't pampered like they have been since they were a HS sophomore and its a recipe for disaster.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Beast of the East, SJU85, Mike Zaun

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last edit: by Moose.

Seth Davis Article on Former College Players Unhappy Overseas 6 days 2 hours ago #399865

  • Roamer
  • Roamer's Avatar
  • Offline
  • Posts: 168
  • Thank you received: 46
can I bother you to post the entire article please?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Seth Davis Article on Former College Players Unhappy Overseas 5 days 6 hours ago #399883

  • Beast of the East
  • Beast of the East's Avatar
  • Offline
  • Posts: 12068
  • Thank you received: 4118

Mike Zaun wrote: theathletic.com/2003161/2020/10/13/ameri...cts-what-it-is-like/

Interesting insight...show this to the kids who want to leave immediately instead of staying all 4 yrs. Of course it's up to them, but it's not the same once you leave major college hoops in the US.


Although your thoughts make sense, try telling that to a kid who is making $0 playing college basketball, and has a chance to play professionally overseas for a salary that may seem astronomical for a kid who grew up in the projects. Travelling from city to city, eating in restaurants and staying in hotels (that he may discover are lower grade than college travel in the US), and a salary of $100K or more seems amazing.

It's also become embarrassing for some kids to stay 4 years, as if that makes them less than the players that are playing professionally anywhere. I would not ignore the fact that for many college basketball players, they are ill equipped to handle college level academics, even those that are watered down to keep them eligible.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Seth Davis Article on Former College Players Unhappy Overseas 5 days 2 hours ago #399891

  • Mike Zaun
  • Mike Zaun's Avatar Topic Author
  • Offline
  • Posts: 2712
  • Thank you received: 1421
But if they don't stick overseas, they won't make the money and then they have no degree to hold onto for different job opportunities. If you go pro without getting your degree, you are all in...which is fine but if you don't stick around long, you could end up in big trouble. Ultimately it's up to them, but I think the point is that going pro overseas isn't what it's cracked up to be. D'Lo is playing very well overseas, but does anyone know who he is? Are they making jerseys of him for fans? The money may be good for many, however you become just another person. So I suppose for those with a big ego, they may not like it...but for those who just need the $ and don't care about all the cultural differences, they may fare better.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Seth Davis Article on Former College Players Unhappy Overseas 5 days 2 hours ago #399893

  • Paul Massell
  • Paul Massell's Avatar
  • Offline
  • Posts: 4898
  • Thank you received: 2497
There are some video on youtube of Justin Brownlee. He's huge there. I remember watching part of his game from a few years ago. It was very exciting.
Here's an article from a while back:
www.espn.com/basketball/pba/story/_/id/2...-philippines-deepens
“Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity.”
The following user(s) said Thank You: sjc88

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Seth Davis Article on Former College Players Unhappy Overseas 5 days 1 hour ago #399898

  • L J S A
  • L J S A's Avatar
  • Offline
  • Posts: 6861
  • Thank you received: 3354
I've said for years that if the NBA should have different salary slots for each draft position, and make the difference enough so that kids on the fence about leaving stay another year (or several) in college. For example, college grad who is No. 1 pick gets $8 million per year, No. 1 pick who comes out after junior year gets $6 million, Soph No. 1 pick gets $4 million, etc.


This of course presumes the NBA cares if kids graduate college, which it doesn't.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Monte

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Seth Davis Article on Former College Players Unhappy Overseas 5 days 1 hour ago #399899

  • RedStormNC
  • RedStormNC's Avatar
  • Away
  • Posts: 2582
  • Thank you received: 1624
I haven't read the article, but I don't think playing internationally only has two outcomes of big success or disaster. Like most things, there's usually a big chunk of experiences in between. Those experiences, impacted by decisions made by the athlete themselves, as well as others around them, team employers, the culture and people in the cities they play.

This is isn't a new venture of playing internationally. I'd think by now there is a network and knowledge base of what teams(especially new), agents, personnel etc. are shady and should be shied away from to avoid getting stiffed $ wise or other bad experiences. Did the article cover that at all?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last edit: by RedStormNC.

Seth Davis Article on Former College Players Unhappy Overseas 4 days 23 hours ago #399901

  • austour
  • austour's Avatar
  • Offline
  • Posts: 5759
  • Thank you received: 1110

Mike Zaun wrote: But if they don't stick overseas, they won't make the money and then they have no degree to hold onto for different job opportunities. If you go pro without getting your degree, you are all in...which is fine but if you don't stick around long, you could end up in big trouble. Ultimately it's up to them, but I think the point is that going pro overseas isn't what it's cracked up to be. D'Lo is playing very well overseas, but does anyone know who he is? Are they making jerseys of him for fans? The money may be good for many, however you become just another person. So I suppose for those with a big ego, they may not like it...but for those who just need the $ and don't care about all the cultural differences, they may fare better.


I've been just another person who no one knows who he is for almost 60 years. It ain't so bad. If your life is going to be defined, and your ceiling reached, by being good enough to be a D1 player as a jr or sr then there are other issues of prioritization that need to be discussed. I think we all agree with you on the degree point but the balance of your post speaks to many of the points that have turned me into a grumpy old man telling the kids not to 'gram on my yard. LOL

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last edit: by austour.

Seth Davis Article on Former College Players Unhappy Overseas 4 days 6 hours ago #399908

  • Moose
  • Moose's Avatar
  • Offline
  • Posts: 11030
  • Thank you received: 4321

RedStormNC wrote: I haven't read the article, but I don't think playing internationally only has two outcomes of big success or disaster. Like most things, there's usually a big chunk of experiences in between. Those experiences, impacted by decisions made by the athlete themselves, as well as others around them, team employers, the culture and people in the cities they play.

This is isn't a new venture of playing internationally. I'd think by now there is a network and knowledge base of what teams(especially new), agents, personnel etc. are shady and should be shied away from to avoid getting stiffed $ wise or other bad experiences. Did the article cover that at all?


Shamorie Ponds and his agent say hi

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last edit: by Moose.
  • Page:
  • 1
  • 2
Moderators: mkras99SJUFAN2espkengmanlawmanfankranmarsOhioFanotisredmannorthKnight