Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Mike Anderson - Recruiting, Coaching, Etc. 3 months 1 week ago #396108

  • Boo Harvey
  • Boo Harvey's Avatar
  • Offline
  • Posts: 1703
  • Thank you received: 456

SJUFAN2 wrote:

Boo Harvey wrote:
Huh? I never said 20 wins a year and three ncaas over the next five or six years wouldn’t be good enough for me. Not sure where you got that.


There is absolutely no reason to think he won't have similar results in the new BE. None. That means 3 NCAA trips in 5 or 6 years.

So every time you complain his recruiting isn't good enough you are saying that what he's done through his career isn't good enough.


I‘m going to take a wild guess that the irony of the situation has escaped you. I’ll enlighten you. You criticize me for repeatedly complaining yet you’ve purposely chosen to click on this topic to read and respond to my posts. Put simply, you’re enabling me. If guys like you didn’t respond, I’d have nothing, or at least far less to say on the subject.

As to the substance of your post, it’s so devoid of logic it doesn’t warrant a response. I quoted two of your particularly absurd statements above.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Mike Zaun

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last edit: by Boo Harvey.

Mike Anderson - Recruiting, Coaching, Etc. 3 months 1 week ago #396109

  • redmannorth
  • redmannorth's Avatar
  • Offline
  • Posts: 4189
  • Thank you received: 3809

Boo Harvey wrote:

SJUFAN2 wrote:

Boo Harvey wrote:
Huh? I never said 20 wins a year and three ncaas over the next five or six years wouldn’t be good enough for me. Not sure where you got that.


There is absolutely no reason to think he won't have similar results in the new BE. None. That means 3 NCAA trips in 5 or 6 years.

So every time you complain his recruiting isn't good enough you are saying that what he's done through his career isn't good enough.


I‘m going to take a wild guess that the irony of the situation has escaped you. I’ll enlighten you. You criticize me for repeatedly complaining yet you’ve purposely chosen to click on this topic to read and respond to my posts. Put simply, you’re enabling me. If guys like you didn’t respond, I’d have nothing, or at least far less to say on the subject.

As to the substance of your post, it’s so devoid of logic it doesn’t warrant a response. I quoted two of your particularly absurd statements above.


Sorry Boo but all this transpired in the Applewhite recruiting thread and had to be moved. That is what occurred. We may have a good shot at the kid, we may not. As Paultzman has always correctly preached recruiting is fluid so I will wait until the kid makes his choice. But we had 50 posts about the kid and the last 60 were about CMAs recruiting ability, or lack thereof as some see it and feel the need to bring up and enter their concerns in each and every thread. That is exactly what transpired. Unfortunately a new topic was created in order that every attempt to derail a recruiting thread, or to raise personal concerns that don’t belong in a thread about a particular recruit do not have to contaminate that thread. And the need to respond is a two way street. If you didn’t raise your concerns no one would be responding to them.
For the record, I have serious concerns about one of our staff members. But to bring it up constantly after they are on the job 14 months and have exceeded expectations on the court is far too premature in my eyes. So there you have it, I don’t believe all is perfect with one of our staff members.
The following user(s) said Thank You: panther2

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Mike Anderson - Recruiting, Coaching, Etc. 3 months 1 week ago #396110

  • Boo Harvey
  • Boo Harvey's Avatar
  • Offline
  • Posts: 1703
  • Thank you received: 456

redmannorth wrote:

Boo Harvey wrote:

SJUFAN2 wrote:

Boo Harvey wrote:
Huh? I never said 20 wins a year and three ncaas over the next five or six years wouldn’t be good enough for me. Not sure where you got that.


There is absolutely no reason to think he won't have similar results in the new BE. None. That means 3 NCAA trips in 5 or 6 years.

So every time you complain his recruiting isn't good enough you are saying that what he's done through his career isn't good enough.


I‘m going to take a wild guess that the irony of the situation has escaped you. I’ll enlighten you. You criticize me for repeatedly complaining yet you’ve purposely chosen to click on this topic to read and respond to my posts. Put simply, you’re enabling me. If guys like you didn’t respond, I’d have nothing, or at least far less to say on the subject.

As to the substance of your post, it’s so devoid of logic it doesn’t warrant a response. I quoted two of your particularly absurd statements above.


Sorry Boo but all this transpired in the Applewhite recruiting thread and had to be moved. That is what occurred. We may have a good shot at the kid, we may not. As Paultzman has always correctly preached recruiting is fluid so I will wait until the kid makes his choice. But we had 50 posts about the kid and the last 60 were about CMAs recruiting ability, or lack thereof as some see it and feel the need to bring up and enter their concerns in each and every thread. That is exactly what transpired. Unfortunately a new topic was created in order that every attempt to derail a recruiting thread, or to raise personal concerns that don’t belong in a thread about a particular recruit do not have to contaminate that thread. And the need to respond is a two way street. If you didn’t raise your concerns no one would be responding to them.
For the record, I have serious concerns about one of our staff members. But to bring it up constantly after they are on the job 14 months and have exceeded expectations on the court is far too premature in my eyes. So there you have it, I don’t believe all is perfect with one of our staff members.


Fair analysis and welcome your opinion. The poster who I was addressing responded to my post after this topic had been created. But that’s semantics. Fact is this is a message board and I’m stating my opinion. Others are free to disagree.

But more importantly, I’m intrigued who on the staff has given you serious concerns and why. I respect if you may want to keep it confidential, but feel free to pm me if you want to discuss.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Mike Anderson - Recruiting, Coaching, Etc. 3 months 1 week ago #396112

  • johnsliva
  • johnsliva's Avatar
  • Away
  • Posts: 178
  • Thank you received: 59
Guys lets not pretend that this has not been going on for over 30 years. I was at molloy and everyone would complain about the tobacco road connection and why wouldn't new york kids stay in ny.. It has only gotten worse with prep schools, handlers and sneaker influences. Throw in that we are a catholic school and don't give under the table payments and being in NY is not an advantage. So what does CMA have to sell?
1) Sense of family and team
2) A guarantee that players will be coached .
3) an opportunity to show off their skills in the big east.
4) Some success in getting plays to pro ball
5) an emphasis on getting a degree (may be a con to some)

So we have a coach with integrity that will take 3 stars and get the most out of them. Many will not come here due to lack of cash, lack of coddling or lack of tv exposure (what espn did with the breaking up of the big east should be criminal) For me we will survive and I will watch the kids grow. I know they will give max effort and heart and over the next 5 years we will get a top 50 kid. It wont be a pipeline but we will get that guy that will be fun to watch, just don't expect one every year.
The following user(s) said Thank You: redmannorth, Room112, Las Vegan, panther2, Eric

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Mike Anderson - Recruiting, Coaching, Etc. 3 months 1 week ago #396113

  • Mike Zaun
  • Mike Zaun's Avatar Topic Author
  • Offline
  • Posts: 2814
  • Thank you received: 1465
Harvey correctly states that we are not allowed to ever criticize coaches under any circumstance on here it seems until we wait 3 years minimum. Not one of us said he loves kicking puppies but it's as if we did with the responses. Only one side is angry and it's not ours. Why do so many get so angry over us rightfully criticizing over recruiting? This is a fan forum...we can pretend all we like that everything is great but facts are facts. Pundits don't expect anything from us anymore. Right now we simply suck at recruiting. Don't give me the "it's impossible to recruit here" shtick. Lavin and Mullin proved it's wrong. Lavin had a 5* Jordan and got so many 4* kids he couldn't even find enough PT for all of them. Mullin (Matt A) got 4* Ponds, 5* Simon, 4* Clark, 4* Lovett.

No one was ever asking for 5* kids so not sure why that was brought up. All I'd ask for is the bare minimum in the Big East for every other team. Mostly 3* guys surrounded by the occasional stud 4* recruit or two. That's it. That's what every other program in our conference gets regularly if not better. There are about 3 or 4 of us willing to admit this and about 20 others essentially telling us to shut up and pretend it's not a real problem. An Arkansas fan just said this has been a big concern for much of his career. Obviously all of us want him to succeed badly. But if you can't recruit you can't compete seriously in a league this tough. Simple as that. He will have plenty of chances to shut us up, but for now in this moment, we are right.

If what so many are saying was true about recruit rankings not mattering, Rivals and all those sites would not be functioning. Why would they exist? Why would pundits discuss it so much? Why would the best teams want the 4-5 star players? If it truly didn't matter there would be zero attention given to it.
The following user(s) said Thank You: PharmDJohnnie11

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last edit: by Mike Zaun.

Mike Anderson - Recruiting, Coaching, Etc. 3 months 1 week ago #396114

  • PharmDJohnnie11
  • PharmDJohnnie11's Avatar
  • Offline
  • Posts: 283
  • Thank you received: 327

Mike Zaun wrote: Harvey correctly states that we are not allowed to ever criticize coaches under any circumstance on here it seems until we wait 3 years minimum. Not one of us said he loves kicking puppies but it's as if we did with the responses. Only one side is angry and it's not ours. Why do so many get so angry over us rightfully criticizing over recruiting? This is a fan forum...we can pretend all we like that everything is great but facts are facts. Pundits don't expect anything from us anymore. Right now we simply suck at recruiting. Don't give me the "it's impossible to recruit here" shtick. Lavin and Mullin proved it's wrong. Lavin had a 5* Jordan and got so many 4* kids he couldn't even find enough PT for all of them. Mullin (Matt A) got 4* Ponds, 5* Simon, 4* Clark, 4* Lovett.

No one was ever asking for 5* kids so not sure why that was brought up. All I'd ask for is the bare minimum in the Big East for every other team. Mostly 3* guys surrounded by the occasional stud 4* recruit or two. That's it. That's what every other program in our conference gets regularly if not better. There are about 3 or 4 of us willing to admit this and about 20 others essentially telling us to shut up and pretend it's not a real problem. An Arkansas fan just said this has been a big concern for much of his career. Obviously all of us want him to succeed badly. But if you can't recruit you can't compete seriously in a league this tough. Simple as that. He will have plenty of chances to shut us up, but for now in this moment, we are right.

If what so many are saying was true about recruit rankings not mattering, Rivals and all those sites would not be functioning. Why would they exist? Why would pundits discuss it so much? Why would the best teams want the 4-5 star players? If it truly didn't matter there would be zero attention given to it.


It is very frustrating having to feel like a pariah on this board just for pointing out the obvious. I don't know if people actually think the few of us who voiced our concerns about the CMA era, so far, are rooting against him, or have something against CMA personally because we don't. I'd like nothing more than for him to be successful here, but I can almost guarantee you he won't be if the recruiting doesn't pick up big time.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Mike Zaun

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last edit: by PharmDJohnnie11.

Mike Anderson - Recruiting, Coaching, Etc. 3 months 1 week ago #396115

  • Eric
  • Eric's Avatar
  • Offline
  • Posts: 513
  • Thank you received: 339
Nobody is saying not to complain IF and WHEN the time calls for it. How can you 3 think now is really that time?? It’s really about you want to be on the I told you so first haha side of things. I hope once he “proves” himself with success to you fellas you lighten up.
The following user(s) said Thank You: SJUFAN2, redmannorth, Moose, L J S A, Chicago Days

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last edit: by Eric.

Mike Anderson - Recruiting, Coaching, Etc. 3 months 1 week ago #396120

  • QueensBall
  • QueensBall's Avatar
  • Offline
  • Posts: 420
  • Thank you received: 663

Mike Zaun wrote: Harvey correctly states that we are not allowed to ever criticize coaches under any circumstance on here it seems until we wait 3 years minimum. Not one of us said he loves kicking puppies but it's as if we did with the responses. Only one side is angry and it's not ours. Why do so many get so angry over us rightfully criticizing over recruiting? This is a fan forum...we can pretend all we like that everything is great but facts are facts. Pundits don't expect anything from us anymore. Right now we simply suck at recruiting. Don't give me the "it's impossible to recruit here" shtick. Lavin and Mullin proved it's wrong. Lavin had a 5* Jordan and got so many 4* kids he couldn't even find enough PT for all of them. Mullin (Matt A) got 4* Ponds, 5* Simon, 4* Clark, 4* Lovett.

No one was ever asking for 5* kids so not sure why that was brought up. All I'd ask for is the bare minimum in the Big East for every other team. Mostly 3* guys surrounded by the occasional stud 4* recruit or two. That's it. That's what every other program in our conference gets regularly if not better. There are about 3 or 4 of us willing to admit this and about 20 others essentially telling us to shut up and pretend it's not a real problem. An Arkansas fan just said this has been a big concern for much of his career. Obviously all of us want him to succeed badly. But if you can't recruit you can't compete seriously in a league this tough. Simple as that. He will have plenty of chances to shut us up, but for now in this moment, we are right.

If what so many are saying was true about recruit rankings not mattering, Rivals and all those sites would not be functioning. Why would they exist? Why would pundits discuss it so much? Why would the best teams want the 4-5 star players? If it truly didn't matter there would be zero attention given to it.


You really think you're not allowed to criticize the coach? Really? You think that's REALLY why people get annoyed? People talk recruiting and express their concerns or disappointments all the time here. A month ago the entire board was critical of the staff for losing Riley to Georgetown so I don't think it's as simple as people being upset because you're being critical. You've gotta read the room a little bit.

I can only speak for myself but I actually have no problem with you being critical of recruiting. I might even share some of your concerns if you ever got more specific than turning every recruiting discussion into what essentially boils down to, "This guy doesn't have enough stars." or " this guy has too many stars, Anderson can't get him." Every recruiting thread is the exact same complaint.

It's like we all went to a taco place and you won't stop hijacking every conversation to complain that we're not at a steakhouse. Nobody is saying that steak is bad. We'd all love steak. Nobody is annoyed because you think steak would be nice. We're annoyed because sometimes tacos actually are awesome but whenever someone tries to have that conversation you say that getting tacos is pointless and the only way to enjoy this meal is if we were eating steak. It's just sort of being a wet blanket and it's also annoying that you keep insisting steak is the only way to have an enjoyable meal. A great taco beats a disappointing steak. We all want steak but if it's not on the menu, let's still try to have a good meal.

Sorry for all the analogies but we're at the point where enough people are saying the same thing over and over that I'm trying a new approach.
The following user(s) said Thank You: johnsliva, RedStormRising, Red Rover

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Mike Anderson - Recruiting, Coaching, Etc. 3 months 1 week ago #396124

  • Beast of the East
  • Beast of the East's Avatar
  • Offline
  • Posts: 12149
  • Thank you received: 4209
Being concerned about recruiting is certainly permissible. I've posted before that friends and business associates in both Missouri and Arkansas had agreed that Anderson is a very good coach but not a great recruiter.

While Anderson may not be the silver tongue recruiter like many well-known guys, I think he knows how to construct a roster to his playing style, and has recruited size (which is more difficult of course) and speed. Still we will need some bonafide top level talent who can shoot and score in order to break through to the upper part of the Big East. Some of you believe that we will challenge this season, but I am not convinced.

In the meantime, to me the only reasonable doubt about Anderson is whether or not he can recruit with the like of Villanova and maybe even UCONN on a consistent basis. Villanova is a heavy lift because Jay Wright has built an iconic program and is easily a HOF coach, but the next level down is a reasonable goal.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Mike Anderson - Recruiting, Coaching, Etc. 3 months 1 week ago #396128

  • Duke of Earlington
  • Duke of Earlington's Avatar
  • Away
  • Posts: 956
  • Thank you received: 342
Is he not good at recruiting or is the system that hes married to turning the kids away? I cant see these kids not wanting to play for the coach/man mike anderson. I can see them saying, “I dont want to run like hell and play full court d for the next 4 years. And have to share the ball on offense and not be showcased.”

I guess it doesnt matter cause he will never change the system.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Moderators: mkras99SJUFAN2espkengmanlawmanfankranmarsOhioFanotisredmannorthKnight