Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Mike Anderson - Recruiting, Coaching, Etc. 3 months 1 week ago #396010

• OhioFan
  • Thank you received: 512

PharmDJohnnie11 wrote:

QueensBall wrote: Disappointing to hear that we may be falling behind here. PharmaD- why so negative all the time? Let me see if I got this right:

2019-20: Anderson is hired a couple of months before the season begins but he's able to add Dunn, Champagnie and Rutherford on short notice. Which of those guys do you wish we didn't have last season? On top of that we're pretty much unanimously thrilled with how he developed and got production from the sophomores, right?

2020-21: He gets one of the best PG's in the area, 2 Juco All Americans, A big grad transfer (wasn't everyone going crazy the last couple of seasons because Mullin and Matt A couldn't land that exact type of player?) and he takes a flyer on Wusu because he thinks he sees something. What is the issue with that class?

2021-22: The class is literally a work in progress. Of course we're upset because we missed on some of our bigger targets and we don't see any leans our way. But the guy has 3 spots to fill and he just picked up a really promising player who people don't appreciate because some recruiting site's matrix didn't give him 4 stars.

According to ESPN Drissa is the #6 player in NY and he's 1 rating point shy of being a 4-star recruit. He has a 79 rating and 4-star players are rated 80 or higher. So if Drissa was rated a fraction higher by a small group of talent evaluators (who none of us could probably name aside from Paul Biancardi) then we'd feel better because we could say, "All right well at least Coach started this class with a 4-star big." We're not trying to win a star collecting contest here.

See the recruiting of every other Big East school.... that’s why I’m negative. They’re landing highly regarded prospects on the regular, even DePaul, and we’re striking out left and right.

Drissa wasn’t really being recruited by many big schools. He may turn out ok but that says a lot to me that our competition for him was like Bryant and Stony Brook.

It’s the same pattern with every coach here it seems. Everyone on here loves them and they can do no wrong the first year or 2 then they don’t recruit well or coach poorly and everyone wants them fired, rinse repeat.

So you are saying a -1 from a four star recruit is a swing and miss. Sorry but I don't agree.
Ubi Caritas, Where charity and love are, God is there.
The following user(s) said Thank You: panther2

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Mike Anderson - Recruiting, Coaching, Etc. 3 months 1 week ago #396011

• Boo Harvey
  • Thank you received: 456

Moose wrote:

PharmDJohnnie11 wrote: It’s the same pattern with every coach here it seems. Everyone on here loves them and they can do no wrong the first year or 2 then they don’t recruit well or coach poorly and everyone wants them fired, rinse repeat.

This is very much true. So are you bucking the trend and getting ahead of the rest?

Nobody is calling for Anderson’s head. We’re voicing our concerns and expressing our frustrations. I know it’s an unpopular position with the “cancel police” on this Board to criticize our coach during the honeymoon phase, but it doesn’t take an expert to acknowledge that we are really struggling on the recruiting trail right now.
The following user(s) said Thank You: PharmDJohnnie11, Mike Zaun

Mike Anderson - Recruiting, Coaching, Etc. 3 months 1 week ago #396012

• SJU14
  • Thank you received: 476

Boo Harvey wrote:

Moose wrote:

PharmDJohnnie11 wrote: It’s the same pattern with every coach here it seems. Everyone on here loves them and they can do no wrong the first year or 2 then they don’t recruit well or coach poorly and everyone wants them fired, rinse repeat.

This is very much true. So are you bucking the trend and getting ahead of the rest?

Nobody is calling for Anderson’s head. We’re voicing our concerns and expressing our frustrations. I know it’s an unpopular position with the “cancel police” on this Board to criticize our coach during the honeymoon phase, but it doesn’t take an expert to acknowledge that we are really struggling on the recruiting trail right now.

I know a lot of kids are committing early, but we haven’t even reached the early signing period. Plenty of quality kids available and we know this staff works a lot quieter than the previous one

Mike Anderson - Recruiting, Coaching, Etc. 3 months 1 week ago #396014

• otis
  • Thank you received: 1589

Not an alum wrote: Guys also want to play right away and we don’t have a lot of time to offer unless we’re talking about bringing in a top 25 5* recruit...

========
lack of immediate playing time doesn't prevent every program from stockpiling talent but makes a convenient excuse for StJohn's.
The following user(s) said Thank You: bamafan, PharmDJohnnie11

Mike Anderson - Recruiting, Coaching, Etc. 3 months 1 week ago #396015

• Moose
  • Thank you received: 4456

Boo Harvey wrote:

Moose wrote:

I asked him the question. I think he can respond for himself.

We don't live in a pollyanna world. You, him or anyone else can knock your socks off calling for people's heads after 2 games or 2 years. It is what it is. He's right where most rational people do give a new coach a few honeymoon years. Me personally I'm in the 3 year range. At that point I think its pretty easy to make a determination.

I am also not Captain or Sergeant of this Cancel Police. I have made plenty of comments on here that you would deem 'unpopular'. But keep your broad paintbrush out there
The following user(s) said Thank You: panther2

Mike Anderson - Recruiting, Coaching, Etc. 3 months 1 week ago #396017

• L J S A
  • Thank you received: 3455

Boo Harvey wrote:
I also can’t help but laugh when people tout Posh as if he’s going to be some savior out of the gate. Anything is possible, but seems highly unlikely.

Not one person has said he's going to be a savior right out of the gate.

He's not even a starter next season.

Mike Anderson - Recruiting, Coaching, Etc. 3 months 1 week ago #396019

• Chicago Days
  • Thank you received: 3184

Boo Harvey wrote:

Chicago Days wrote: Daylen Berry may be possible, unless he blows up as well. I think AUB was rumored to have interest in Berry. How much interest would be the key.

And by “blowing up,” you mean one or more high majors being involved, right? Bc if that’s the case, I don’t like our odds.

I mean heavy interest/recruiting by 6+ high majors, which would make it difficult but not impossible.
Depends on the relationship our coaches develop with him and, of course, if $$$'s are thrown involved.

Last edit: by Chicago Days.

Mike Anderson - Recruiting, Coaching, Etc. 3 months 1 week ago #396020

• Boo Harvey

Moose wrote:

Boo Harvey wrote:

Moose wrote:

We don't live in a pollyanna world. You, him or anyone else can knock your socks off calling for people's heads after 2 games or 2 years. It is what it is. He's right where most rational people do give a new coach a few honeymoon years. Me personally I'm in the 3 year range. At that point I think its pretty easy to make a determination.

I am also not Captain or Sergeant of this Cancel Police. I have made plenty of comments on here that you would deem 'unpopular'. But keep your broad paintbrush out there

Moose, my reference to the “cancel police” was not directed at you in particular, although I can see how you took it that way since I was responding to your post. In any event, I think you would agree that there is a contingent on this Board who go after those with whom they disagree.

I thought I made it explicit that I wasn’t calling for CMA’s head, but your response indicates I’m mistaken. People hear what they want to hear I suppose. All that I can say is that there is a not so subtle distinction between voicing one’s criticism/concern and advocating that a coach be fired.

Finally, I’ll address your comment that CMA “is right where any rational person” would expect. While I’ll concede that last year’s team moderately exceeded expectations (unlike some, I won’t go so far as to call a 5-13 Big East conference record our best season in decades), I think plenty of “rational” people would express concern with our recruiting to date.

Time of course will tell and I agree that our coach deserves at least three, if not four years to prove himself. That won’t stop me, however, from calling it like I see it. Coaching here is one hell of a tough job. But the day I settle for mediocrity or less with this program is the day I’m no longer the proud obsessive fan I’ve been for the alma mater of three generations of “Boo Harveys.”
The following user(s) said Thank You: Mike Zaun

Last edit: by Boo Harvey.

Mike Anderson - Recruiting, Coaching, Etc. 3 months 1 week ago #396021

• Boo Harvey

L J S A wrote:

Boo Harvey wrote:
I also can’t help but laugh when people tout Posh as if he’s going to be some savior out of the gate. Anything is possible, but seems highly unlikely.

Not one person has said he's going to be a savior right out of the gate.

He's not even a starter next season.

Agree that he’s likely not to start next season, but suggest you re-read some of the recent posts about Posh.

Mike Anderson - Recruiting, Coaching, Etc. 3 months 1 week ago #396022

• Moose
  • Thank you received: 4456

Boo Harvey wrote:

Moose wrote:

Boo Harvey wrote:

Moose wrote:

Moose, my reference to the “cancel police” was not directed at you in particular, although I can see how you took it that way since I was responding to your post. In any event, I think you would agree that there is a contingent on this Board who go after those with whom they disagree.

I thought I made it explicit that I wasn’t calling for CMA’s head, but your response indicates I’m mistaken. People hear what they want to hear I suppose. All that I can say is that there is a not so subtle distinction between voicing one’s criticism/concern and advocating that a coach be fired.

Finally, I’ll address your comment that CMA “is right where any rational person” would expect. While I’ll concede that last year’s team moderately exceeded expeditions (unlike some, I won’t go so far as to call a 5-13 Big East conference record our best season in decades), I think plenty of “rational” people would express concern with our recruiting to date.

Time of course will tell and I agree that our coach deserves at least three, if not four years to prove himself. That won’t stop me, however, from calling it like I see it. Coaching here is one hell of a tough job. But the day I settle for mediocrity or less with this program is the day I’m no longer the proud obsessive fan I’ve been for the alma mater of three generations of “Boo Harveys.”

That's a perfectly rational post.
The problem is oftentimes you and a few others just go on and on and on with the same rhetoric. I can guarantee you members of your Cancel Police force have posted 'negative' comments about in game coaching, recruiting, the color of the uniforms, whatever else you can think of. You can lean one way sure. I'm not completely satisfied with recruiting to date. But I also know its still early in his tenure. I've gone on record saying 22 needs to be a killer class otherwise gloves are off. And while you didnt say this others did- I don't move goalposts. 22 is 22. Won't become 23 and so on. It's 3 full season and 3 full classes. Its fair at the point and we all hope we don't have to rinse and repeat again.

Moderators: mkras99SJUFAN2espkengmanlawmanfankranmarsOhioFanotisredmannorthKnight