Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Pitino Recruiting 1 week 2 days ago #394986

• Brian3
  • Thank you received: 33
This kids highlight video is comical- honestly entertaining. Don’t think he faced anyone over 6’4. Decent ability to finish- but I wouldn’t sweat this one. We need guys who get up and down.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Pitino Recruiting 1 week 2 days ago #394987

• Paul Massell
  • Thank you received: 2331

Monte wrote: Respectfully disagree Paul, that he doesn't have something to prove. Pitino will always have something to prove, it's his nature. And especially now. He's old but there's still a lot of gas left in that tank IMO.

Even so, I don't think we are in a time where Pitino could come into Iona and make them a top 25 team. Maybe sniff it in a given year but not consistently. I love college basketball as a coach's game but it is barely hanging onto that and there are only a few coaches that distinguish themselves in that way. All the rest do it by recruiting. Different world than when Pitino came up and certainly no comparison to 1970s. I think I recall Calhoun's Div III St Joseph squad beating Yukon but if a great coach could make any team top 25 then Calhoun would have had a lot of money thrown at him the past several years to fix some big name schools and get them into the top 25.
“Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity.”
The following user(s) said Thank You: Section3, Monte

Pitino Recruiting 1 week 2 days ago #394988

• MJDinkins
  • Thank you received: 2800

Paul Massell wrote:

Monte wrote: Respectfully disagree Paul, that he doesn't have something to prove. Pitino will always have something to prove, it's his nature. And especially now. He's old but there's still a lot of gas left in that tank IMO.

Even so, I don't think we are in a time where Pitino could come into Iona and make them a top 25 team. Maybe sniff it in a given year but not consistently. I love college basketball as a coach's game but it is barely hanging onto that and there are only a few coaches that distinguish themselves in that way. All the rest do it by recruiting. Different world than when Pitino came up and certainly no comparison to 1970s. I think I recall Calhoun's Div III St Joseph squad beating Yukon but if a great coach could make any team top 25 then Calhoun would have had a lot of money thrown at him the past several years to fix some big name schools and get them into the top 25.

Put me in the boat who also don't think Pitino will consistently field a top 25 Iona squad. Maybe in a given year or parts of a season, but not consistently. He'll fare a quality and competitive team similar to Cluess but Pitino will emphasize defense.

Besides, I don't think Pitino will be coaching Iona past year 3. Just my opinion.
The following user(s) said Thank You: JohnnyFan

Last edit: by MJDinkins.

Pitino Recruiting 1 week 2 days ago #394993

• Beast of the East
  • Thank you received: 3781

NCJohnnie wrote: Beast of the East wrote: What would our fans say if we signed the #4 center in the class of 2021?

Beast, he is #4 center in the state of Kentucky, #25 center nationally and ranked #191 overall by 247sports recruiting service. Solid pickup for Pitino nonetheless.

Thanks for the correction. Big difference. I appreciate the correction

Pitino Recruiting 1 week 2 days ago #395013

• Room112
  • Thank you received: 1057

MJDinkins wrote:

Paul Massell wrote:

Put me in the boat who also don't think Pitino will consistently field a top 25 Iona squad. Maybe in a given year or parts of a season, but not consistently. He'll fare a quality and competitive team similar to Cluess but Pitino will emphasize defense.

Besides, I don't think Pitino will be coaching Iona past year 3. Just my opinion.

Agree on all points. Did anyone pay attention to the first class he brought in to Iona? Sure he was grabbing kids at the last minute. But there were some pretty low rankings, not a ton of talent. Yes he's a legendary coach who will coach kids up and get the most out of them. But let's not go overboard.

Also to the people thinking this recruit was a great get. Go watch the highlight videos provided ....

Pitino Recruiting 1 week 2 days ago #395021

• Knight
  • Thank you received: 1698
Any news on Coach Cluess’ health?

Pitino Recruiting 1 week 2 days ago #395022

• Monte
  • Thank you received: 3151

MJDinkins wrote:

Paul Massell wrote:

I give him 3-5 years, he avoids scandal and reestablishes himself, then he bolts for a high D1 job. He'll be in his early 70's then, still young enough to have a nice run at another school. I know he'll be watched very closely, but so are other coaches. He'll play by the same rules as most other college coaches with regard to recruiting. Maybe just a little more cautious. He's succeeded every where else that he's coached, no reason to think he won't at Iona. Having said all that, wouldn't trade him for CMA for all the tea in China, if that's sill an acceptable term to use. lol.
The following user(s) said Thank You: redmannorth, redmanwest, RedStormNC

Pitino Recruiting 1 week 1 day ago #395080

• Beast of the East
  • Thank you received: 3781

Monte wrote:

MJDinkins wrote:

Paul Massell wrote:

I give him 3-5 years, he avoids scandal and reestablishes himself, then he bolts for a high D1 job. He'll be in his early 70's then, still young enough to have a nice run at another school. I know he'll be watched very closely, but so are other coaches. He'll play by the same rules as most other college coaches with regard to recruiting. Maybe just a little more cautious. He's succeeded every where else that he's coached, no reason to think he won't at Iona. Having said all that, wouldn't trade him for CMA for all the tea in China, if that's sill an acceptable term to use. lol.

Just think about this in terms of Pitino and St. John's. If he really really wanted the SJU job, he would have quietly arranged to drop by campus to say hi, charmed the pants off everyone, acted contrite, and perhaps even be offered a job. Just like local area recruits, he dropped a lame comment about not being contacted by St. John's about the vacancy, likely just to get his name out in people's minds that he is available and interested.

In terms of Iona, Pitino will know when to get off of that carousel, and it will be when it serves Pitino best. He may be there till his career ends, or he may jump ship if something better comes along.
The following user(s) said Thank You: fuchsia, panther2

Pitino Recruiting 1 week 1 day ago #395085

• RedmanMike
  • Thank you received: 175
I can tell you exactly how long Pitino will be at Iona - until the day he gets offered a better job.

Remember, this is a guy who sued Louisville for $40M for wrongful termination, and then less than a year later said that "I deserved to be fired" at Louisville. He says whatever he thinks you want to hear.
The following user(s) said Thank You: panther2, JohnnyFan

Pitino Recruiting 1 week 1 day ago #395086

• fordham96
  • Thank you received: 1991

RedmanMike wrote: I can tell you exactly how long Pitino will be at Iona - until the day he gets offered a better job.

Remember, this is a guy who sued Louisville for $40M for wrongful termination, and then less than a year later said that "I deserved to be fired" at Louisville. He says whatever he thinks you want to hear.

This does not make sense. Just because you get fired does not mean you don't think you should get paid the money you would be owed as part of a normal buyout. Pitino did not sue for damages he sued for money he was OWED under a normal firing, Lousiville chose not to pay his buyout because they fired him "for cause." All that means is they fred Pitino for something other than performance related.

His buyout was RIDICULOUSLY high and no one in his situation would have simply walked away from that without trying to get some of it if not all of it.

Moderators: mkras99SJUFAN2espkengmanlawmanfankranmarsOhioFanotisredmannorthKnight