Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Pitino Recruiting 1 week 3 hours ago #394947

• Moose
  • Away
  • Thank you received: 3999

Mike Zaun wrote:

Moose wrote:

Mike Zaun wrote: Zero chance anyone on here would be unhappy if we signed that kid. 6'10 220.

You new here?

You're implying the guy who has been by far most vocal about how we need 6'10 220+ bigs would be disappointed if we got him?! I'd be thrilled!

You said zero chance anyone would complain. You might be fine with it but the is absolutely 100% chance ppl would complain here.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Mike Zaun

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Pitino Recruiting 1 week 3 hours ago #394948

• Mike Zaun
  • Thank you received: 1363

Moose wrote:

Mike Zaun wrote:

Moose wrote:

Mike Zaun wrote: Zero chance anyone on here would be unhappy if we signed that kid. 6'10 220.

You new here?

You're implying the guy who has been by far most vocal about how we need 6'10 220+ bigs would be disappointed if we got him?! I'd be thrilled!

You said zero chance anyone would complain. You might be fine with it but the is absolutely 100% chance ppl would complain here.

Maybe but probably the least people to ever complain on here if some did. When was the last time we had a 6'10+ 220+ who could score well and be an average defender?

Pitino Recruiting 1 week 3 hours ago #394953

• MCNPA
  • Thank you received: 2573
Anybody watch the kid play?? The kid can barely run the court. Has some decent skills around the basket but would never survive in Mike Anderson’s system. I don’t see what everybody is getting excited about. This kid doesn’t look like a stud we missed out on in any way, and he’s not a 5-star kid here.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Room112

Pitino Recruiting 1 week 2 hours ago #394964

• Class of 72
  • Thank you received: 3593

Beast of the East wrote: Look, it's time we get used to it. In the MAAC, Pitino will likely see the NCAA's every single season. His pitch is simple. We will build a great team in a weaker division, play a national schedule OOC, and make the dance every single year, and do damage there.

To me there is little question he will out recruit us. On the court he is easily a top 10 coach. The only reason he is at Iona is that the baggage was just too much for better programs to swallow. Iona was perfect for him - he wasn't signing up for a failed mid-major program. Cluess made Iona easily the class of the MAAC.

There was just no way this was going to happen at St. John's, and even if there was a chance, he isn't here. My guess is that he will be competitive nationally very quickly. That's all there is to it really.

There is no question Pitino will out recruit any school in his conference. But even he can't make Iona a national power or destination. My prediction is one or two years at Iona at best until Jim Dolan fires the next Knicks coach. Then he'll earn another 10 million for a couple of years and retire to horseracing. ;)
All characters and events depicted in this post are entirely fictitious. Any similarity to actual events or persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental. 
The following user(s) said Thank You: Beast of the East

Pitino Recruiting 1 week 1 hour ago #394967

• Las Vegan
  • Thank you received: 309
I have no clue as to Rick Pitino's long-term plan, but I think what Iona desires is to not only dominate the MAAC and get the automatic bid, but to play power conference teams, with Iona's home venue being MSG, get on national television and get a better NCAA tourney seed. In the past, the MAAC winner would be consigned to a very low seed, which made it a one and done fate,
Give Pitino a higher seed, say a 12, and an upset victory over a five seed is a real possibility. Also, I would love to see an SJU-Iona game every year in late December develop into a big draw, at MSG.

Last edit: by Las Vegan.

Pitino Recruiting 6 days 23 hours ago #394975

• L J S A
  • Thank you received: 3122

NCJohnnie wrote: Beast of the East wrote: What would our fans say if we signed the #4 center in the class of 2021?

Beast, he is #4 center in the state of Kentucky, #25 center nationally and ranked #191 overall by 247sports recruiting service. Solid pickup for Pitino nonetheless.

Not sure if he corrected it, but it was definitely poor writing by Zags, who said he was No. 4 center in 2021, which I immediately recognized as a mistake. He definitely looked like a reach for the ACC with those numbers at a no-name high school, but I won't be shocked at all if he shows great improvement under Pitino's tutoring..
The following user(s) said Thank You: mjmaherjr, Beast of the East

Pitino Recruiting 6 days 22 hours ago #394979

• Monte
  • Thank you received: 3137

Class of 72 wrote:

Beast of the East wrote: Look, it's time we get used to it. In the MAAC, Pitino will likely see the NCAA's every single season. His pitch is simple. We will build a great team in a weaker division, play a national schedule OOC, and make the dance every single year, and do damage there.

To me there is little question he will out recruit us. On the court he is easily a top 10 coach. The only reason he is at Iona is that the baggage was just too much for better programs to swallow. Iona was perfect for him - he wasn't signing up for a failed mid-major program. Cluess made Iona easily the class of the MAAC.

There was just no way this was going to happen at St. John's, and even if there was a chance, he isn't here. My guess is that he will be competitive nationally very quickly. That's all there is to it really.

There is no question Pitino will out recruit any school in his conference. But even he can't make Iona a national power or destination. My prediction is one or two years at Iona at best until Jim Dolan fires the next Knicks coach. Then he'll earn another 10 million for a couple of years and retire to horseracing. ;)

Depends what you mean by a "national power". I say top 25 by year 3 and consistent top 25 for as long as he sticks around. I know it was a long time ago, but Valvano did a pretty good job at Iona in his 5 years there. Granted he wasn't exactly above board, but neither is Pitino. I expect similar results.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Beast of the East, IDRAFT

Pitino Recruiting 6 days 21 hours ago #394981

• Paul Massell
  • Thank you received: 2320

Monte wrote: Depends what you mean by a "national power". I say top 25 by year 3 and consistent top 25 for as long as he sticks around. I know it was a long time ago, but Valvano did a pretty good job at Iona in his 5 years there. Granted he wasn't exactly above board, but neither is Pitino. I expect similar results.

Different world. Won't happen for Pitino at Iona in my opinion. I think he's a HOF coach and was the best implementer/innovator of the newfangled "three point" shot in college basketball but Valvano was a young, hungry guy in his element on an upward trajectory in the 1970s. Pitino is an old guy with a lot accomplished and nothing to prove really other than he's not too old.. He's also under the microscope and he won't be doing any innovative recruiting that he could get away with at powerful schools. I think he will do well but he won't make Iona a top 25 team.
“Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity.”

Pitino Recruiting 6 days 20 hours ago #394984

• Paultzman
  • Paultzman's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 19659
Pitino will get kids and succeed as he always does. SJU staff and fans are better served concentrating on moving up in BE, rather than dwelling on shiny objects.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Tonyinfairfield , Beast of the East, JohnnyFan, Knight

Pitino Recruiting 6 days 20 hours ago #394985

• Monte
  • Thank you received: 3137

Paul Massell wrote:

Monte wrote: Depends what you mean by a "national power". I say top 25 by year 3 and consistent top 25 for as long as he sticks around. I know it was a long time ago, but Valvano did a pretty good job at Iona in his 5 years there. Granted he wasn't exactly above board, but neither is Pitino. I expect similar results.

Different world. Won't happen for Pitino at Iona in my opinion. I think he's a HOF coach and was the best implementer/innovator of the newfangled "three point" shot in college basketball but Valvano was a young, hungry guy in his element on an upward trajectory in the 1970s. Pitino is an old guy with a lot accomplished and nothing to prove really other than he's not too old.. He's also under the microscope and he won't be doing any innovative recruiting that he could get away with at powerful schools. I think he will do well but he won't make Iona a top 25 team.

Respectfully disagree Paul, that he doesn't have something to prove. Pitino will always have something to prove, it's his nature. And especially now. He's old but there's still a lot of gas left in that tank IMO.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Paultzman, Beast of the East, IDRAFT, bamafan

Moderators: mkras99SJUFAN2espkengmanlawmanfankranmarsOhioFanotisredmannorthKnight