Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Bursting the Bubble: Why Sports Aren't Coming Back Soon 2 months 3 weeks ago #385079

• otis
  • otis's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 1393
The NBA, NFL and MLB are dreaming up ways to play amid a pandemic, with talk of isolating players in Arizona or Las Vegas or maybe on the moon. It all sounds great, until you talk to people who actually know science.

www.si.com/mlb/2020/04/10/sports-arent-coming-back-soon
The following user(s) said Thank You: bamafan

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Bursting the Bubble: Why Sports Aren't Coming Back Soon 2 months 3 weeks ago #385084

• sjc88
  • Thank you received: 879
I don’t know. In a world where you can have breakfast in Europe and be home for dinner in New York, sports stadiums and games is just one of many, many problems. No more air travel? Weddings, funerals, parties, Broadway, graduations etc, etc etc. Subway, buses. All of them are problematic in a “pandemic”.

Bursting the Bubble: Why Sports Aren't Coming Back Soon 2 months 3 weeks ago #385089

• weathermannyc
  • Thank you received: 245
This is probably about right. With any luck, baseball will be the next team sport to start up normal operations with a delayed opening in 2021. With a lot of luck, maybe it starts on-time.

Bursting the Bubble: Why Sports Aren't Coming Back Soon 2 months 3 weeks ago #385091

• Paul Massell
  • Thank you received: 2251
I find the popularity of esports surreal and dystopian but it looks like my League of Legends account will be getting a major workout the rest of this year.
“Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity.”

Last edit: by Paul Massell.

Bursting the Bubble: Why Sports Aren't Coming Back Soon 2 months 3 weeks ago #385102

• nycfan
  • Thank you received: 77
Curious to what the board thinks regarding college basketball for next season. Business as usual vs modified schedule or delay/cancellation?

Bursting the Bubble: Why Sports Aren't Coming Back Soon 2 months 3 weeks ago #385103

• JohnnyFan
  • Thank you received: 2828

nycfan wrote: Curious to what the board thinks regarding college basketball for next season. Business as usual vs modified schedule or delay/cancellation?

I do not see business as usual. At best, there could be games played with no fans. Otherwise, I think it's possible the entire season is cancelled.

Bursting the Bubble: Why Sports Aren't Coming Back Soon 2 months 3 weeks ago #385108

• jerseyshorejohnny
  • Thank you received: 1826

Bursting the Bubble: Why Sports Aren't Coming Back Soon 2 months 3 weeks ago #385110

• Chicago Days
  • Thank you received: 2984
Yeah, this is basically a once a century phenomenon. Hence, ideal options are impossible and even the trade-off between prudent and risky very difficult to calibrate.
Can't imagine that any 'season' will not be delayed.
Hope and pray for the best.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Monte, JohnnyFan

Bursting the Bubble: Why Sports Aren't Coming Back Soon 2 months 3 weeks ago #385112

• Enright
  • Thank you received: 509
Right now there is hope that the virus doesn't spread to the whole USA as first thought. If that holds you may see games in the late summer and fall in many parts of the country. As far as NYC and its surrounding areas when fans would be willing to attend a game is probably a long way off.
Could you see the Yankees, Mets , Knicks playing games somewhere in the mid or southwest?

Bursting the Bubble: Why Sports Aren't Coming Back Soon 2 months 3 weeks ago #385113

• QueensBall
  • Thank you received: 464
I'm talking completely out of my ass here but seeing as how leagues started shutting things down in early March, common sense would dictate that college basketball the best chance of not having the following season delayed. That being said I think on on-time start to the season without fans would be an absolute best case scenario. And that's coming straight from a guy who had to go to summer school for high school bio.

Moderators: mkras99SJUFAN2espkengmanlawmanfankranmarsOhioFanotisredmannorthKnight