TOPIC:

St. John’s (2020-21) 6 months 2 weeks ago #384270

• JO23
  • JO23's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 60

Paultzman wrote:

JO23 wrote:

Paultzman wrote:

fuchsia wrote: I think of Moore as a stretch 4 with ability to help as weakside defender with his length.

Exactly what he is.

Yea that’s probably his most natural position, but at the end of the day any guy that is 6’10 on St. John’s is going to end up at center. I used to hear the same thing about Owens. If you look at the 3 of them I don’t know if any of them are true centers.

Ending up there and being solid there are two different issues. Like Bama, have watched him a half dozen times this year & he would be manhandled by beefy, strong opponents down low. Anderson, however, knows that I’m sure and yes will spot him there under right circumstance. Obviously getting Toro helps in that regard.

Yea, I agree with that, I was going for him ending up at the center spot. Roberts has the same issue, which is why getting Toro was so big. Instead of having to throw a 6’6 Earlington on those bigger dudes, you got Toro who could do most of that work. I just don’t see Toro as a Big East caliber starter, I see him as a good role player. From seeing Moore do you see him as more productive player than Roberts next season?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

St. John’s (2020-21) 6 months 2 weeks ago #384271

• Paultzman
  • Away
  • Thank you received: 20387

JO23 wrote:

Paultzman wrote:

JO23 wrote:

Paultzman wrote:

fuchsia wrote: I think of Moore as a stretch 4 with ability to help as weakside defender with his length.

Exactly what he is.

Yea that’s probably his most natural position, but at the end of the day any guy that is 6’10 on St. John’s is going to end up at center. I used to hear the same thing about Owens. If you look at the 3 of them I don’t know if any of them are true centers.

Ending up there and being solid there are two different issues. Like Bama, have watched him a half dozen times this year & he would be manhandled by beefy, strong opponents down low. Anderson, however, knows that I’m sure and yes will spot him there under right circumstance. Obviously getting Toro helps in that regard.

Yea, I agree with that, I was going for him ending up at the center spot. Roberts has the same issue, which is why getting Toro was so big. Instead of having to throw a 6’6 Earlington on those bigger dudes, you got Toro who could do most of that work. I just don’t see Toro as a Big East caliber starter, I see him as a good role player. From seeing Moore do you see him as more productive player than Roberts next season?

I think Moore has better shooting skills & is a very good FT maker unlike Josh. Defensively, it remains to be seen. Both run court very well & perhaps Moore will be a better finisher on break from limited sample I saw.
The following user(s) said Thank You: fuchsia, bamafan, JO23

Last edit: by Paultzman.

St. John’s (2020-21) 6 months 2 weeks ago #384277

• MCNPA
  • Thank you received: 2688
From what I’ve seen, Moore is much more adept on offense than Roberts. Roberts is a good shotblocker and defensive rebounder. Moore seems to have legitimate range out to three and is a good FT shooter as mentioned. Very different players. It remains to be seen if Moore can add any significant weight and strength to his frame. He’s gotta be working hard in the offseason to do so. Moore isn’t built much different than Yale’s Jordan Bruner was in high school. Problem is Moore is 2 years behind adding muscle to his frame. He’s gotta work extra hard. I don’t see Moore as a center without some more weight, jt his offensive ability and length could cause problems for some teams at that spot.
The following user(s) said Thank You: redmannorth, JO23

Last edit: by MCNPA.

St. John’s (2020-21) 6 months 2 weeks ago #384280

• RM86
  • Thank you received: 91
I'm not convinced Roberts is ready for the season after the shoulder surgery. Any help we can get under the hoop is welcome.
The following user(s) said Thank You: IDRAFT, James Ray Lamb

St. John’s (2020-21) 6 months 2 weeks ago #384289

• richard A Steinfeld
  • Thank you received: 950
To make things worse for Roberts his injury will preclude him from lifting weights this summer. Hopefully he can gain weight and work on his core and legs.
The following user(s) said Thank You: redken

St. John’s (2020-21) 6 months 2 weeks ago #384299

• Not an alum
  • Thank you received: 83
I’m looking forward to watching guys progress under CMA and the staff. Who becomes this years earlington/Williams? I think Dunn has a chance to become the player that you watch and say wow he’s really turned into a stud. So exciting to have a staff where players get better
The following user(s) said Thank You: Sherman, Sheridan & Grant

St. John’s (2020-21) 6 months 2 weeks ago #384300

• Not an alum
  • Thank you received: 83
Also during his interview on WFAN, Anderson mentioned Roberts Williams earlington along w Champagnie as guys who he’s high on next year

St. John’s (2020-21) 6 months 2 weeks ago #384306

• REB
  • Thank you received: 206
I believe a better way to think about lineups with CMA is rotation, not 1st and 2nd teams - who's likely to start and who will most often sub in for whom. CMA game plans about how to best combat the strengths and take advantage of the weakness of opponents but then he tends to go with what's working in real time. Sometimes that's matchups; sometimes it's who has the hot hand. He doesn't really have a first and second team, per se. You could say everybody's on the first team, depending on the situation on any given night.

CMA also puts a premium on defense and knowing and executing his systems, so I expect he'll begin the season with the starters tilting toward this year's team. I'd guess the starters would be Dunn, Williams, LJ, Champ and the Duke. If Roberts is ready he might start in place of the Duke depending on whether CMA wants a truer big on the floor. Or it could be Toro depending on what CMA observes once these two bigs are in practice together.

In terms of rotation, this is what I imagine at the moment. And of course this is all imagination at this point - we're really just shooting the sh*t waiting, after tournamentis interruptis, for basketball to return. When either LJ or Greg sits I expect Cole subs in. If Dunn sits, it will be Posh. Or if LJ and Greg both sit, Dunn will likely slide to the 2 and Posh will play the point. Barring injury or significant foul trouble, I don't expect Wusu or McGriff to see that much time. Caraher made a ton of great effort/focus plays and also showed he has an excellent mid-range shooting touch late in the season and that will buy him some time, but I think a lot of it will be when CMA sees the need for that kind of gritty effort to spark the team because they've lost focus or gotten too impressed with themselves.

In the post I expect to see a lot of Penny and the Duke together because the combination is so dynamic and offers such a good combination of offense, rebounding and solid defense. Toro, if healthy, should also play a lot, especially vs teams with true bigs. Roberts minutes will depend on the progress of his shoulder, his rebounding numbers and the appearance of some effective low post offense. I expect the speed of the BE to be a challenge for Moore at the beginning but CMA will find ways to work him in as a stretch 4 shooting some threes, getting some weak side blocks and put backs as the season progresses.

So in terms of the actual flow of the games, I expect it to look like some version of that and not to be at all about who's on a first or second team. Very excited about the depth and diversity of talent on the team and about CMA's ability to mold them into a cohesive team and to make use of all that depth and diversity as it's needed.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Rehobie

St. John’s (2020-21) 6 months 2 weeks ago #384379

• fuchsia
  • Thank you received: 567
Was Moore captured by elves?
The following user(s) said Thank You: redmannorth

St. John’s (2020-21) 6 months 2 weeks ago #384427

• REB
  • Thank you received: 206

fuchsia wrote: Was Moore captured by elves?

Yes by elves who've seen him play.

Moderators: mkras99SJUFAN2espkengmanlawmanfankranmarsOhioFanotisredmannorthKnight