Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

St. John’s (2020-21) 6 months 2 weeks ago #384245

• JO23
  • JO23's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 60
With the roster being set for next year contingent on Figueroa coming back (Also heard McGriff whispers?) I figured i’d throw this out there. Obviously, this is probably way off with 6 months left before the season but here it is.

Starters
PG - Dunn (Sr.)
SG - Cole (Jr.)
SF - Figueroa (Sr.)
PF - Champagnie (So.)
C - Moore (Jr.)

2nd
PG - Alexander (Fr.)
SG - Williams (Jr.)
SF - Caraher (Jr.)
PF - Earlington (Jr.)
C - Toro (Sr.)

3rd
PG - McGriff (Fr.)
SG - Wusu (Fr.)
C - Roberts (Jr.)

- This Johnny roster is kind of crazy to me, because 1-13 all look like they could get meaningful playing time at some point next season. Not crazy star power at the top, but a lot of depth and balance is what I see.

PG
- Dunn isn’t exactly your prototypical point guard as he likes to score, but he is the obvious best point guard on this years roster. Alexander and McGriff are the only true point guards on the roster, but as freshman I can’t see them putting up a fight against a senior Dunn for the starting spot. The only battle here should be between Alexander and McGriff for the back up spot. All in all, I see Dunn as a tough middle of the pack Big East starting point guard with a tough 3 star Bronx freshman in Posh Alexander taking over the point in spurts. I like Posh to start his following 3 seasons, guy just has a toughness about him.

SG
- To me, Cole will be the obvious second option on this squad right behind Figueroa. Cole and Figueroa’s JUCO stats are eerily similar. I believe Cole and Figueroa also both led there JUCO teams to a top 10 ranking. Similar to figueroa, Cole should put up somewhere around 13-15 per game and should be a top 15-20 Big East player from the get go. On top of that, Cole shot it 90% from the line last season.

JUCO Stats (Final Season)
LJ Figueroa - 21.4PPG - 5.5RPG - 3.7APG
Vince Cole - 21.4PPG - 5.5RPG - 3.5APG

- I have seen some people think Williams should be the starting 2 guard but with Cole and Figueroa on the roster I just can’t see it. Obviously, not a slight on Williams, he improved every game last season and would be a very solid back up shooting guard. I just dont think he is at the same level as Cole. However, if Figueroa bolts, Williams to the 2, Cole to the 3. Other than that, Wusu is an unknown as a freshman but he passes the eye test for sure.

SF
- Like last season, Figueroa is the obvious star of the team if he comes back for his senior year. He had some up and downs as the number 1 option last season, but I believe he would take better advantage of it next season. Averaging north of 15 should be easy for him at this point. Top 10 Big East type of player for sure. Also, Caraher proved to be a capable back up at the wing in the Big East. I think it’s pretty solid to have him as your 9th or 10th man

PF
- Champagnie is probably the biggest suprise i’ve seen since I started watching the Johnnies about 10 years ago. Everytime i watched last season i’d constantly say this guy is insane for a freshman in the Big East. Its crazy too, cause he looks like hes only going to get better. Athletc, long, wirery, will post up, can shoot it. 5 tool type of guy as a freshman. More than capable Big East starter at this point with crazy potential. Then you got Earlington, who is really just a beast. Always seems to be in the right spot for offensive rebounds and easy lay ups. He just seems to make big shots when hes out there. Both these guys just get it done.

C
- As for the centers it looks like we have 3 guys who would be role players on a good Big East team at this point. I ordered it Moore, Toro, and then Roberts, but you could easily flip it, I have no clue. I don’t see any of these guys being dominant next year, but we have 3 solid options at center for sure, which we haven’t seen in a long time. Moore seems to have the most potential. Toro looks to be a solid back up in the Big East. Roberts showed glimpses last season, but just seemed out matched in Big East play.

- Sorry for the long post it was just flowing out, but all in all we look like we go at least 2 deep from point guard to center, with 9 upper classman, 20 wins should be the minimum for Anderson.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Frank61, ejoyce, shamsman2, Chicago Days, Making Plays

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

St. John’s (2020-21) 6 months 2 weeks ago #384249

• Making Plays
  • Thank you received: 748
Think you're pretty spot on with your assessment, although I wouldn't be surprised if CMA gives Williams a chance to start and Cole becomes the starter after several games in. CMA typically gives his returnees the starting roles at the beginning of the season and it's on the new guys to beat them out. To end the season Williams played extremely well, I think CMA will let him ride that momentum into the start of the season. But, everything you said about Cole having the higher ceiling and having the ability to get 13-15 a night I completely agree with. Even if he starts the season coming off the bench he'll get plenty of playing time and shots up.

Also, that center spot as you mentioned seems to be the biggest question mark, it can go either way with any of them. As I mentioned above CMA typically gives his returnees the starting spot to start the season, however I think Robert's situation is different, because before the injury his minutes and role was starting to get drastically reduced. As competition got better he seemed to be less effective. I would lean towards Toro being the day 1 starter, he's a 5th year senior, probably the most polished out of the 3, I really like Moore, but I think he's gotta add some weight and may be a guy that takes 1/2 year to a year to put it together against Big East competition.
The following user(s) said Thank You: JO23, Chicago Days, Sju grad 13

Last edit: by Making Plays.

St. John’s (2020-21) 6 months 2 weeks ago #384251

• JO23

Making Plays wrote: Think you're pretty spot on with your assessment, although I wouldn't be surprised if CMA gives Williams a chance to start and Cole becomes the starter after several games in. CMA typically gives his returnees the starting roles at the beginning of the season and it's on the new guys to beat them out. To end the season Williams played extremely well, I think CMA will let him ride that momentum into the start of the season. But, everything you said about Cole having the higher ceiling and having the ability to get 13-15 a night I completely agree with. Even if he starts the season coming off the bench he'll get plenty of playing time and shots up.

Also, that center spot as you mentioned seems to be the biggest question mark, it can go either way with any of them. As I mentioned above CMA typically gives his returnees the starting spot to start the season, however I think Robert's situation is different, because before the injury his minutes and role was starting to get drastically reduced. As competition got better he seemed to be less effective. I would lean towards Toro being the day 1 starter, he's a 5th year senior, probably the most polished out of the 3, I really like Moore, but I think he's gotta add some weight and may be a guy that takes 1/2 year to a year to put it together against Big East competition.

Yea, for sure, I have noticed that with CMA. Cole and Williams are both going to see major minutes either way. Williams is definetly on his way up, got better every game last year and will be a solidified starter here by the end of his career.

Also, for the centers I definetly agree. It really is a toss up. It could end up depending on who’s hot and the match up.

St. John’s (2020-21) 6 months 2 weeks ago #384257

• fuchsia
  • Thank you received: 567
I think of Moore as a stretch 4 with ability to help as weakside defender with his length.
The following user(s) said Thank You: redmannorth, Paultzman, Amaseinyourface, QueensBall

St. John’s (2020-21) 6 months 2 weeks ago #384258

• Paultzman
  • Thank you received: 20387

fuchsia wrote: I think of Moore as a stretch 4 with ability to help as weakside defender with his length.

Exactly what he is.
The following user(s) said Thank You: redmannorth

St. John’s (2020-21) 6 months 2 weeks ago #384259

• Duke of Earlington
  • Thank you received: 322
Starters:

Posh
Cole
Figgy
Duke
Penny

2nd team:

Dunn
Williams
Caraher
Toro
Moore

St. John’s (2020-21) 6 months 2 weeks ago #384260

• JO23

Paultzman wrote:

fuchsia wrote: I think of Moore as a stretch 4 with ability to help as weakside defender with his length.

Exactly what he is.

Yea that’s probably his most natural position, but at the end of the day any guy that is 6’10 on St. John’s is going to end up at center. I used to hear the same thing about Owens. If you look at the 3 of them I don’t know if any of them are true centers.
The following user(s) said Thank You: richard A Steinfeld

St. John’s (2020-21) 6 months 2 weeks ago #384261

• Paultzman

JO23 wrote:

Paultzman wrote:

Exactly what he is.

Yea that’s probably his most natural position, but at the end of the day any guy that is 6’10 on St. John’s is going to end up at center. I used to hear the same thing about Owens. If you look at the 3 of them I don’t know if any of them are true centers.

Ending up there and being solid there are two different issues. Like Bama, have watched him a half dozen times this year & he would be manhandled by beefy, strong opponents down low. Anderson, however, knows that I’m sure and yes will spot him there under right circumstance. Obviously getting Toro helps in that regard.
The following user(s) said Thank You: bamafan, JO23

St. John’s (2020-21) 6 months 2 weeks ago #384263

• Making Plays
  • Thank you received: 748

JO23 wrote:

Paultzman wrote:

Exactly what he is.

I'm with you on that, I highly doubt Moore sees many minutes at the 4 spot. CMA typically plays guys that would be SF's on most teams at the 4 spot, and guys that are typically PF's and Centers he plays almost exclusively at the 5 spot.

An example would be Bobby Portis, who plays the stretch 4 spot for the Knicks, he played the vast majority of his minutes at the 5 spot for CMA at Arkansas, and at the time, CMA had 3 guys that was 6'9+ on the roster with 2 of those guys being true centers, so it wasn't because he was short on centers at the time.

Another example is his nephew Demarre Carrol who is a SF in the NBA. When he was at Missouri, he played nearly all his minutes under CMA at the 4 spot, he actually played some at the 5 in smaller lineups.

I'm sure there may be some situations where CMA goes big in situational lineups and Moore may play the 4 then, but typically his whole career CMA preferred smaller quicker lineups, and guys he has at the 4 spot are usually guys that can guard multiple positions and press full court, I seen some of Moore's games this year, I don't see a guy that can swap off on guards and be effective at doing it.
The following user(s) said Thank You: JO23, Sju grad 13

Last edit: by Making Plays.

St. John’s (2020-21) 6 months 2 weeks ago #384269

• Paultzman
It certainly seems Johnnies have sufficient depth and talent to move up in Big East standings. Middle of pack status seems quite achievable and better than that not out of the question. Of course we have to wait until rosters shake out with kids transferring in & out, eligibility issues, etc. All in all, SJU appears positioned well to finally get on path for sustainable success.
The following user(s) said Thank You: redmannorth, SJUNC, Coaster, Rehobie, JO23, RedStormNC, QueensBall

Moderators: mkras99SJUFAN2espkengmanlawmanfankranmarsOhioFanotisredmannorthKnight