Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: What are you doing with no sports

What are you doing with no sports 2 months 17 hours ago #383528

• BrooklynRed
  • BrooklynRed's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 260

section10 wrote: I am catching up on my American civil war books,. finished a book on the west point class of 1846 and another book on lincoln's trip from ill to wash dc for his first inauguration.
my venice civil war roundtable has set up a video conferencing system. our april 9th meeting will be held via the internet.
yesterday my wife went in for semi annual routine medical lab work. she is to have a followup meeting with the doctor 7 days later. the doctor has set up a video call chat for her. she will not have to go to the doctor's office.
i gave blood last sunday. at the door i was checked for fever, iron, blood pressure. then & only then was i allowed into their facility.
I only leave the house for food shopping and medical concerns.
God bless paul for this website. stay safe y'all.

Share your direction of reading but different eras. Lately I have become fascinated by reading about allied agents working behind German lines in WWII. Fascinating stories some of which have been bottled up because of "official secrets" aspects. The bravery of these people is incredible and it was not just male agents; one of the most interesting is Virginia Hall (and her "friend" Cuthbert--her nickname for her artificial leg) working in France, first for the SOE-Brits and then for Donovan and the OSS. Her story was just recently told but her picture is one that hangs in CIA HQ.

As to your group's meeting, my wife had a telephonic/zoom meeting of her book club last night, including each them having a drink.
The following user(s) said Thank You: section10

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last edit: by BrooklynRed.

What are you doing with no sports 2 months 13 hours ago #383577

• Paul Massell
  • Thank you received: 2183

fuchsia wrote: and annoying Paul about whether it would be helpful to set up a grammar and spelling resource thread on redmen.com.

“Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity.”
The following user(s) said Thank You: fuchsia, sjc88

What are you doing with no sports 2 months 6 hours ago #383588

• Sju grad 13
  • Thank you received: 580
Working and 2K marathons.

What are you doing with no sports 1 month 4 weeks ago #383623

• BrooklynRed
  • BrooklynRed's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 260
If you are a car racing fan, Fox Sports 1 is carrying a "live" NASCAR race right now (with invocation and national anthem). The race is conducted virtually with the drivers at home on simulators. Effectively a group video game for the gamers among us. The fans pick the track they will "race" on. The drivers are the NASCAR drivers although Indy and Gran Prix drivers want to complete. It appears the same type of programming will be set up for Indy and Gran Prix races.

What are you doing with no sports 1 month 4 weeks ago #383646

• fuchsia
  • Thank you received: 404
Searching the house for a copy of Camus' "The Plague". Used it to teach about drug addiction in the 60's and seemed like it would fit our current times.

What are you doing with no sports 1 month 4 weeks ago #383658

• Spocky Ramone
  • Thank you received: 409

Porgyman wrote:

ron wrote:

fuchsia wrote: Bingeing on Sudoku puzzles and annoying Paul about whether it would be helpful to set up a grammar and spelling resource thread on redmen.com. No calling out what are viewed as mistakes or typos or computers doing autofill but raising possible issues with no names. On occasion some stuff seems like it could be problematic in professional life.

Agree, some of the grammar I've seen on the site makes me hope that the posters are not SJU graduates. Not a good look for the University.

It’s not just this site. It’s a huge problem all over the internet.

One evening I reached my boiling point. I called out a poster on a football board. His response to me? I write like I talk.

How do you respond to that? I gave up.

Why come you don’t have a tattoo?
I have come to the conclusion that one useless man is called a disgrace; that two are called a law firm, and that three or more become a Congress - K.I.T.T., “1776”

Last edit: by Spocky Ramone. Reason: Botched it repeatedly

What are you doing with no sports 1 month 4 weeks ago #383696

• Spocky Ramone
  • Thank you received: 409

fuchsia wrote: Searching the house for a copy of Camus' "The Plague". Used it to teach about drug addiction in the 60's and seemed like it would fit our current times.

We all know that when you say “Camus“, you really mean “Barbara Cartland” B)
I have come to the conclusion that one useless man is called a disgrace; that two are called a law firm, and that three or more become a Congress - K.I.T.T., “1776”

What are you doing with no sports 1 month 4 weeks ago #383738

• sjc88
  • Thank you received: 877
Tonight I will be streaming the Bleacher Report Madden All Time Franchise simulation. They have named all time franchises for each team and will simulate games in a Tournament format. I hope I am explaining that correctly.

Yes I have sunk this low. However, I cannot take endless days of depressing Coronavirus coverage.
The following user(s) said Thank You: BrooklynRed

What are you doing with no sports 1 month 4 weeks ago #383799

• Enright
  • Thank you received: 504
I just noticed there is a show on tonight at seven thirty about the CCNY point shaving scandal of 1950. It is on channel 798 on FIOS, 138 on cable vision. It appears to be a Jewsh channel which when I just keyed it in it came up.
I know nothing about this film but it is worth a try.

What are you doing with no sports 1 month 4 weeks ago #383849

• fuchsia
  • Thank you received: 404
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Plague

Used Camus' allegorical novel to teach new community organizers about heroin addiction in 1967. Seems like a good time to read it again.

Moderators: mkras99SJUFAN2espkengmanlawmanfankranmarsOhioFanotisredmannorthKnight