Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: (POST GAME) @Providence, Wed. Jan. 15, 8:30p, FS-1 / 570 WMCA

(POST GAME) @Providence, Wed. Jan. 15, 8:30p, FS-1 / 570 WMCA 1 month 6 days ago #372646

• MCNPA
  • Thank you received: 2064
It’s definitely a rebuild this year. No way around that. We need a lot more talent. Valiant effort but effort alone doesn’t win ball games. Will need a few years and more guys who can put the ball in e basket. I’m not upset about it. Just the way it is and it’s obvious these kids play really hard and are well-coached. Just not enough skills to translate. Providence has underperformed, but they have talent there and may were pretty highly recruited there.
The following user(s) said Thank You: otis, Porgyman, Ray Morgan, romiSJU

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

(POST GAME) @Providence, Wed. Jan. 15, 8:30p, FS-1 / 570 WMCA 1 month 6 days ago #372647

• Duke of Earlington
  • Thank you received: 108

MJDinkins wrote:

redmaninalbany wrote: I can't understand how Figueroa doesn't self-correct on the chuck shots from the seats or the floaters from 15 feet . Surely there is someone telling him that if this continues his chance of playing pro ball will vanish.

I'm rather sure he knows he won't be playing professionally, in the NBA, anytime soon if ever. I hope he returns next season, but not banking on it.

He will 100% be back. Hes got nowhere to go.

(POST GAME) @Providence, Wed. Jan. 15, 8:30p, FS-1 / 570 WMCA 1 month 6 days ago #372648

• SJU61982
  • Thank you received: 1077

Jack Williams wrote: Having a closer is almost as important in basketball than it is in baseball. You need that one guy who you can trust to step up and get a bucket in close games, especially on the road.

Example: see the road game we won at Marquette last season.

We don’t have that this year. It sucks. But I feel we are gonna give seton hall, who’s stock has never been higher with this win streak they are on, a really good game.

That's why I always laugh whenever coaches say, "yeah, we may not have anyone among the league leaders in scoring, but we have 3 or 4 guys who can hurt you down the stretch, so the defense just can't focus on one guy." Kind of like when an NFL team says they have 2 quartetbacks.

(POST GAME) @Providence, Wed. Jan. 15, 8:30p, FS-1 / 570 WMCA 1 month 6 days ago #372649

• redmaninalbany
  • Thank you received: 130
Knight, I hope you're right but I don't see that happening unless Heron and Fig have to right their own ship with smarter overall offense shot selection. Coach must have spoken about this but it should be self-evident.
Until we get a top class point guard, next year, we will rely on Dunn's control of the floor. While he makes good plays often enough and has the right temperament for the position, his instincts and speed on the drives, I'm not sure his judgement matches those skills as a floor general. We are getting out rebounded in part due to the same old size issues. The bench players are adequate filling roles and they may play even more to develop them...but that means it's because they will contribute in future years, not be takeover players this season.
I sincerely hope your right and I'm wrong. But, beyond sheer emotion, I just don't see Coach elevating this team anymore than he has to date. Anderson probably improves our standing....some day.....but I don't hold much hope for it to be meaningful this season.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Delaware, Knight

(POST GAME) @Providence, Wed. Jan. 15, 8:30p, FS-1 / 570 WMCA 1 month 6 days ago #372650

• SJU61982
  • Thank you received: 1077

MCNPA wrote: It’s definitely a rebuild this year. No way around that. We need a lot more talent. Valiant effort but effort alone doesn’t win ball games. Will need a few years and more guys who can put the ball in e basket. I’m not upset about it. Just the way it is and it’s obvious these kids play really hard and are well-coached. Just not enough skills to translate. Providence has underperformed, but they have talent there and may were pretty highly recruited there.

Still not sold on Providence. The conference gave them what turned out to be a gift early schedule. I think we'll beat them at CA next month. Providence could very well be 4-7 going into that game.
The following user(s) said Thank You: TheSummit

(POST GAME) @Providence, Wed. Jan. 15, 8:30p, FS-1 / 570 WMCA 1 month 6 days ago #372651

• sjc88
  • Thank you received: 771
Not hard to explain this loss Heron and Figueroa 6/26 shooting. Not going to get it done.

(POST GAME) @Providence, Wed. Jan. 15, 8:30p, FS-1 / 570 WMCA 1 month 6 days ago #372652

• MJDinkins
  • Thank you received: 2506

Duke of Earlington wrote:

MJDinkins wrote:

redmaninalbany wrote: I can't understand how Figueroa doesn't self-correct on the chuck shots from the seats or the floaters from 15 feet . Surely there is someone telling him that if this continues his chance of playing pro ball will vanish.

I'm rather sure he knows he won't be playing professionally, in the NBA, anytime soon if ever. I hope he returns next season, but not banking on it.

He will 100% be back. Hes got nowhere to go.

You know there's somewhere called overseas/abroad.
The following user(s) said Thank You: otis

(POST GAME) @Providence, Wed. Jan. 15, 8:30p, FS-1 / 570 WMCA 1 month 6 days ago #372653

• MJDinkins
  • Thank you received: 2506

Jack Williams wrote: We don’t have that this year. It sucks. But I feel we are gonna give seton hall, who’s stock has never been higher with this win streak they are on, a really good game.

I think we're gonna win on Saturday.

(POST GAME) @Providence, Wed. Jan. 15, 8:30p, FS-1 / 570 WMCA 1 month 6 days ago #372654

• Ken Shark
  • Thank you received: 46
Dunn, 34 minutes, with the ball in his hand most of the time, ZERO assists. Save the "he's not really a point guard" lines. That's just terrible. Why does he get so many shots blocked? The other team knows he's not giving it up.
Crazy idea, but how about trying a bigger lineup when they are in these stretches of not scoring? Maybe Sears and Roberts together, Marcus at the three? At least they could cut down on the other team's offensive rebounds.
Dumber play- Dunn running down the clock or Heron taking a wild 2 pointer?
The following user(s) said Thank You: section10

(POST GAME) @Providence, Wed. Jan. 15, 8:30p, FS-1 / 570 WMCA 1 month 6 days ago #372656

• Knight
  • Knight's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 1431
Many of our guys are trying to do too much, beyond their abilities, a la Dunn & Figgy.

Big disparity at the free throw line: Providence 17-24, SJU 8-13.

Moderators: mkras99SJUFAN2espkengmanlawmanfankranmarsOhioFanotisredmannorthKnight