Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: (PRE-GAME) @Providence, Wed. Jan. 15, 8:30p, FS-1 / 570 WMCA

(GAME TIME) @Providence, Wed. Jan. 15, 8:30p, FS-1 / 570 WMCA 6 days 12 hours ago #372381

• barbs20
  • Thank you received: 12
I think we win by 7.
The topic has been locked.

(GAME TIME) @Providence, Wed. Jan. 15, 8:30p, FS-1 / 570 WMCA 6 days 11 hours ago #372384

• James Ray Lamb
  • Thank you received: 55
I'm concerned that Providence has several very good 3 point shooters. They can run up the score very quickly and St John's doesn't have a reliable 3 pt shooter to counter. The Johnnies often don't protect the ball and are vulnerable to steals and turnovers. That's been a persistent problem this season.

Providence is going to give the Johnnie's a very physical game. Sears, Roberts, and Earlington better be ready to battle for rebounds and loose balls. Won't be easy because they're undersized. This game could get ugly in a hurry if the Johnnies defense is outmatched.

I'll be cheering on the Johnnies and hoping for the best. Got to stay positive and believe Anderson will have this team better prepared than last year. I'll predict St John's wins by 3.
Keys to the game
www.rumbleinthegarden.com/2020/1/15/2106...-to-the-game-preview

this year’s version of the Friars are taking and making more three-pointers than the last two editions. They crash the offensive glass solidly, block shots, and force turnovers.

In fact, Ed Cooley’s Friars are leading the league in turnover margin & racking up assists, along with leading the Big East in steals.

For St. John’s, the other factor is that the Friars posses some significant size. That size and physicality was a significant factor in last year’s losses. Alpha Diallo (#11), a wing, and Nate Watson (#0), a center, powered through the Red Storm defense in both games last season. Diallo, a senior from New York, is a very good defensive player and a strong athlete; he is an excellent rebounder, an all-around glue guy.

Watson, who missed time with injury and now comes off the bench, is a better offensive rebounder than a defensive rebounder. He’s got post moves and strength inside.

Last edit: by James Ray Lamb.

(GAME TIME) @Providence, Wed. Jan. 15, 8:30p, FS-1 / 570 WMCA 6 days 11 hours ago #372385

• Brian3
  • Thank you received: 13
Surprised to see a lot of the sentiment is for Johnnies to win....Providence has typically given us trouble, and look to be a different team the past couple weeks. They aren't afraid to get physical and im sure foul count will be an issue.

Hopefully the lack of a pure PG works in our favor.

Maybe I'm just a jaded fan... but can see this one going the way the Texas game went esp away from home. Can't wait to be wrong here.

(GAME TIME) @Providence, Wed. Jan. 15, 8:30p, FS-1 / 570 WMCA 6 days 11 hours ago #372388

• BrooklynRed
  • Thank you received: 186
CMA has already beaten Ed at the dunk--last year in first round of the NIT. He and TJ have seen most of the Prov. players in a game and should be prepared for what to expect. If Prov shoots 3's like they did against Arkansas last year and against Butler last week end, the game could be interesting.

(GAME TIME) @Providence, Wed. Jan. 15, 8:30p, FS-1 / 570 WMCA 6 days 10 hours ago #372390

• CMA TIME
  • Thank you received: 145

BrooklynRed wrote: CMA has already beaten Ed at the dunk--last year in first round of the NIT. He and TJ have seen most of the Prov. players in a game and should be prepared for what to expect. If Prov shoots 3's like they did against Arkansas last year and against Butler last week end, the game could be interesting.

People keep saying that cma beat Cooley last year.
What I'd like to know is how does this year's sju team compare to last year's Arkansas team.
The following user(s) said Thank You: barbs20

(GAME TIME) @Providence, Wed. Jan. 15, 8:30p, FS-1 / 570 WMCA 6 days 10 hours ago #372392

• NCJohnnie
  • Thank you received: 3968
Would be a big win tonight. I am expecting us to give PC a good game, if we win I'll be thrilled. We can't let PC dominate us on the boards like they did last year. Time for Roberts to step up.

(GAME TIME) @Providence, Wed. Jan. 15, 8:30p, FS-1 / 570 WMCA 6 days 10 hours ago #372393

• Duke of Earlington
  • Thank you received: 68
5 1/2 hours till tip off. Cant wait! Friars are going down.

(GAME TIME) @Providence, Wed. Jan. 15, 8:30p, FS-1 / 570 WMCA 6 days 9 hours ago #372398

• QueensBall
  • Thank you received: 333
I'm not too concerned about their 3pt shooting. It's true they're taking more than they usually do but they're certainly not making them at an efficient rate. We're last in the conference in 3pt shooting and they're 8th. I find their size and rebounding ability much more concerning. Diallo, Holt, Watson and Young have the ability to really beat us up on the boards. Especially if Roberts is still in a funk. Hopefully we can force them into enough turnovers to mitigate any rebounding advantage they might have. It'll be tough but good opportunity here. Let's get it done
The following user(s) said Thank You: Paultzman, NCJohnnie

(GAME TIME) @Providence, Wed. Jan. 15, 8:30p, FS-1 / 570 WMCA 6 days 7 hours ago #372406

• BrooklynRed
  • Thank you received: 186

CMA TIME wrote:

BrooklynRed wrote: CMA has already beaten Ed at the dunk--last year in first round of the NIT. He and TJ have seen most of the Prov. players in a game and should be prepared for what to expect. If Prov shoots 3's like they did against Arkansas last year and against Butler last week end, the game could be interesting.

People keep saying that cma beat Cooley last year.
What I'd like to know is how does this year's sju team compare to last year's Arkansas team.

CMA's team had a good center who was leading scorer /rebounder who opted not to play in NIT as he was going into NBA draft (#12/1st round) and so CMA had his top gun not available and had to modify his approach. I saw the game on TV and was impressed with Arkansas and how they were leading by almost 20 late in second half. They did pretty good from 3 point line.

(GAME TIME) @Providence, Wed. Jan. 15, 8:30p, FS-1 / 570 WMCA 6 days 7 hours ago #372407

• usguard
  • Thank you received: 290
Agree shooters not none great shooters and we need 1
By the way will we see steere ,if not this something going on can see him transferring
Moderators: mkras99SJUFAN2espkengmanlawmanfankranmarsOhioFanotisredmannorthKnight