Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Charles Minlend / University of San Francisco / SJU Connection

Charles Minlend / University of San Francisco / SJU Connection 1 month 3 weeks ago #370531

  • Paul Massell
  • Paul Massell's Avatar
  • Offline
  • Posts: 4688
  • Thank you received: 2044
the frustrating thing about Mcleod was that he'd come in the game and play great and Mahoney would yank him.
“Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity.”
The following user(s) said Thank You: Monte

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Charles Minlend / University of San Francisco / SJU Connection 1 month 3 weeks ago #370532

  • SJU85
  • SJU85's Avatar
  • Offline
  • Posts: 2833
  • Thank you received: 602

MCNPA wrote:

kred wrote: Yes he was a warrior but Donny Marshall used to eat him up


No, Donny didn’t eat him up. Minlend and Donny used to go at it, and with similar stats if I remember. Ray Allen used to eat us up, and those UConn’s teams were very good.

The thing I loved about Minlend was that he also had great range and was a shooting threat from everywhere on the court. I love players that can stop and hit shots regularly anywhere on the court. Brownlee was Minlend-lite with that. It’s something that guys like Roberts and Champagnie are going to need to learn to do to become more than they are now. The art of the short/mid range jumper is rare these days.


He was strictly an inside scorer his freshman year but he worked on his shooting and added range to his repertoire. Not a pure shooter and looked a little mechanical from the outside, but was effective. He had quick feet and great interior moves which enabled him to battle and get off his shot inside against taller opponents.

I believe current player Justin Cole might also be a Pharmacy major which would make him and Minlend the only two basketball players I know of with that major at St. John's.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Charles Minlend / University of San Francisco / SJU Connection 1 month 3 weeks ago #370540

  • Beast of the East
  • Beast of the East's Avatar
  • Offline
  • Posts: 11132
  • Thank you received: 3027
Great recollections, guys.

I saw Charles at our NCAA game in Charlotte, where he attended with about half a dozen former players.

He was one of our first African players (Nigeria I believe). His teammates kidded him right away and asked joking if his father rode an elephant around. Charles replied straight face, "Oh no. He drives a Mercedes."

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last edit: by Beast of the East.

Charles Minlend / University of San Francisco / SJU Connection 1 month 3 weeks ago #370541

  • MCNPA
  • MCNPA's Avatar
  • Offline
  • Posts: 5103
  • Thank you received: 2067

Beast of the East wrote: Great recollections, guys.

I saw Charles at our NCAA game in Charlotte, where he attended with about half a dozen former players.

He was one of our first African players (Nigeria I believe). His teammates kidded him right away and asked joking if his father rode an elephant around. Charles replied straight face, "Oh no. He drives a Mercedes."


I think he was Cameroonian but I could be wrong.
The following user(s) said Thank You: austour, Beast of the East

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Charles Minlend / University of San Francisco / SJU Connection 1 month 3 weeks ago #370542

  • Paultzman
  • Paultzman's Avatar
  • Offline
  • Posts: 25336
  • Thank you received: 17001

MCNPA wrote:

Beast of the East wrote: Great recollections, guys.

I saw Charles at our NCAA game in Charlotte, where he attended with about half a dozen former players.

He was one of our first African players (Nigeria I believe). His teammates kidded him right away and asked joking if his father rode an elephant around. Charles replied straight face, "Oh no. He drives a Mercedes."


I think he was Cameroonian but I could be wrong.

True
The following user(s) said Thank You: Beast of the East

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Charles Minlend / University of San Francisco / SJU Connection 1 month 3 weeks ago #370543

  • Beast of the East
  • Beast of the East's Avatar
  • Offline
  • Posts: 11132
  • Thank you received: 3027

SJU85 wrote:

MCNPA wrote:

kred wrote: Yes he was a warrior but Donny Marshall used to eat him up


No, Donny didn’t eat him up. Minlend and Donny used to go at it, and with similar stats if I remember. Ray Allen used to eat us up, and those UConn’s teams were very good.

The thing I loved about Minlend was that he also had great range and was a shooting threat from everywhere on the court. I love players that can stop and hit shots regularly anywhere on the court. Brownlee was Minlend-lite with that. It’s something that guys like Roberts and Champagnie are going to need to learn to do to become more than they are now. The art of the short/mid range jumper is rare these days.


He was strictly an inside scorer his freshman year but he worked on his shooting and added range to his repertoire. Not a pure shooter and looked a little mechanical from the outside, but was effective. He had quick feet and great interior moves which enabled him to battle and get off his shot inside against taller opponents.

I believe current player Justin Cole might also be a Pharmacy major which would make him and Minlend the only two basketball players I know of with that major at St. John's.


Rudy Wright may have been Chemistry.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Charles Minlend / University of San Francisco / SJU Connection 1 month 3 weeks ago #370544

  • NCJohnnie
  • NCJohnnie's Avatar
  • Offline
  • Posts: 3703
  • Thank you received: 4175
His younger brother Ray played two years for Davidson in the mid 90s before transferring to St. Francis where he had a pretty big senior year.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Charles Minlend / University of San Francisco / SJU Connection 1 month 3 weeks ago #370545

  • ctstorm
  • ctstorm's Avatar
  • Offline
  • Posts: 628
  • Thank you received: 169

Monte wrote:

ctstorm wrote:

Monte wrote: Senior was an undersized PF with the heart of a lion. Nice article from his playing days. Interesting what he was told by UCONN when they were recruiting him out of high school:
www.nytimes.com/1997/01/02/sports/red-st...rred-by-minlend.html


That's not quite accurate (the UConn part; he absolutely was a warrior). Not that it matters.


You’re saying this statement by Minlend isn’t quite accurate? Not sure why he would lie about this, but ok


I didn't say he lied, but I stand corrected anyway. I thought the article ended at the Samuel L. Jackson ad which would have left the wrong impression IMO. (My bad.) What he said is of course accurate and unfortunately (or fortunately for St. John's) reflected the attitude of an administrator who did not like college athletics. Anyway, it turned out well and he is one of my all-time favorites.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Monte

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Charles Minlend / University of San Francisco / SJU Connection 1 month 3 weeks ago #370548

  • jerseyshorejohnny
  • jerseyshorejohnny's Avatar Topic Author
  • Offline
  • Posts: 4393
  • Thank you received: 1387

Beast of the East wrote:

SJU85 wrote:

MCNPA wrote:

kred wrote: Yes he was a warrior but Donny Marshall used to eat him up


No, Donny didn’t eat him up. Minlend and Donny used to go at it, and with similar stats if I remember. Ray Allen used to eat us up, and those UConn’s teams were very good.

The thing I loved about Minlend was that he also had great range and was a shooting threat from everywhere on the court. I love players that can stop and hit shots regularly anywhere on the court. Brownlee was Minlend-lite with that. It’s something that guys like Roberts and Champagnie are going to need to learn to do to become more than they are now. The art of the short/mid range jumper is rare these days.


He was strictly an inside scorer his freshman year but he worked on his shooting and added range to his repertoire. Not a pure shooter and looked a little mechanical from the outside, but was effective. He had quick feet and great interior moves which enabled him to battle and get off his shot inside against taller opponents.

I believe current player Justin Cole might also be a Pharmacy major which would make him and Minlend the only two basketball players I know of with that major at St. John's.


Rudy Wright may have been Chemistry.



Justin Cole aspires to become a physician's assistant

redstormsports.com/sports/mens-basketbal...ter/justin-cole/3610
The following user(s) said Thank You: Beast of the East, panther2, Andrew

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Charles Minlend / University of San Francisco / SJU Connection 1 month 3 weeks ago #370552

  • MCNPA
  • MCNPA's Avatar
  • Offline
  • Posts: 5103
  • Thank you received: 2067

jerseyshorejohnny wrote:

Beast of the East wrote:

SJU85 wrote:

MCNPA wrote:

kred wrote: Yes he was a warrior but Donny Marshall used to eat him up


No, Donny didn’t eat him up. Minlend and Donny used to go at it, and with similar stats if I remember. Ray Allen used to eat us up, and those UConn’s teams were very good.

The thing I loved about Minlend was that he also had great range and was a shooting threat from everywhere on the court. I love players that can stop and hit shots regularly anywhere on the court. Brownlee was Minlend-lite with that. It’s something that guys like Roberts and Champagnie are going to need to learn to do to become more than they are now. The art of the short/mid range jumper is rare these days.


He was strictly an inside scorer his freshman year but he worked on his shooting and added range to his repertoire. Not a pure shooter and looked a little mechanical from the outside, but was effective. He had quick feet and great interior moves which enabled him to battle and get off his shot inside against taller opponents.

I believe current player Justin Cole might also be a Pharmacy major which would make him and Minlend the only two basketball players I know of with that major at St. John's.


Rudy Wright may have been Chemistry.



Justin Cole aspires to become a physician's assistant

redstormsports.com/sports/mens-basketbal...ter/justin-cole/3610


I love how SJU has a Physician Assistant school yet his bio says “Physician’s Assistant” which is an incorrect moniker. We aren’t a Physician’s personal assistant. I’ve been running an ICU for a decade and a half now. Even more reason to change the title to something more clear. Rant over.. pet peeve of mine.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Moderators: mkras99SJUFAN2espkengmanlawmanfankranmarsOhioFanotisredmannorthKnight