Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: (POST GAME) Butler, Tues. Dec. 31, 7:30pm, FS-1, 970AM

(POST GAME) Butler, Tues. Dec. 31, 7:30pm, FS-1, 970AM 1 month 3 weeks ago #370247

• Big Red
  • Thank you received: 148
Tough loss. Should’ve been able to close it out. Guys looked like a shell of themselves in the first half. CMA must’ve gotten after them pretty good at halftime.

Rutherford is warrior. Willed this team back in the game. Our bench is looking like the bright spot of this team. Didn’t expect a goose egg from LJ. Has to take better shots and play smarter on defense.

But man, I’m proud of the fight. Defense was on a different level in the second half. I wouldn’t of put LJ back in either. But those guys had been out there a long time. Kinda wish he would’ve gotten in around 2 mins left.

The play was a clear out for him on the left side of the floor. He tried to attack but lost the ball and kicked it to Dunn. This is where basketball iq and awareness has to come in. But he’ll be better in that situation next time.

I don’t think the big East will be able to handle us when we are engaged the whole game on defense. Think we will win this Xavier game. And Georgetown. And then beat DePaul in MSG. Gonna be fun.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jnaw17

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

(POST GAME) Butler, Tues. Dec. 31, 7:30pm, FS-1, 970AM 1 month 3 weeks ago #370249

• ipd200
  • Thank you received: 26
my takeaways and responses in general to the game and posts

1) I agree with not putting Figgy back in. Go with the guys that erased the 20 point lead. Its not fair to them. and it shows Figgy and Heron that defense is going to win games.
2) Greg Willams is getting is confidence and into game shape. He looked good tonight and hopefully he gets more aggressive offensively. I think he's capable of putting up about 10 points a game
3) even with Figgy and Heron we are an offensively challenged team.
4) the defensive intensity seems to be increasing with every game. It will be hard to match that intensity on the road in the next game
5) 9-9 in conference gets us in the tourney. We need to hold serve at home. So with this loss we need to pick up a win on the road,

(POST GAME) Butler, Tues. Dec. 31, 7:30pm, FS-1, 970AM 1 month 3 weeks ago #370250

• CMA TIME
  • Thank you received: 166

Big Red wrote: Tough loss. Should’ve been able to close it out. Guys looked like a shell of themselves in the first half. CMA must’ve gotten after them pretty good at halftime.

Rutherford is warrior. Willed this team back in the game. Our bench is looking like the bright spot of this team. Didn’t expect a goose egg from LJ. Has to take better shots and play smarter on defense.

But man, I’m proud of the fight. Defense was on a different level in the second half. I wouldn’t of put LJ back in either. But those guys had been out there a long time. Kinda wish he would’ve gotten in around 2 mins left.

The play was a clear out for him on the left side of the floor. He tried to attack but lost the ball and kicked it to Dunn. This is where basketball iq and awareness has to come in. But he’ll be better in that situation next time.

I don’t think the big East will be able to handle us when we are engaged the whole game on defense. Think we will win this Xavier game. And Georgetown. And then beat DePaul in MSG. Gonna be fun.

Well then why not full court press for 100% of the game and not 80%-85%
I'd go extreme every damn time.

(POST GAME) Butler, Tues. Dec. 31, 7:30pm, FS-1, 970AM 1 month 3 weeks ago #370251

• fan5577
  • Thank you received: 78
Just back from the game. LJ was off tonight. Never really got into the flow of the game. The offensive foul where he pushed off before going to the basket looked bad and I believe had something to do with his not coming back in the game until the last play. Whether he shout have been in at that point or not is debatable.

(POST GAME) Butler, Tues. Dec. 31, 7:30pm, FS-1, 970AM 1 month 3 weeks ago #370252

• Big Red

CMA TIME wrote:

Big Red wrote: Tough loss. Should’ve been able to close it out. Guys looked like a shell of themselves in the first half. CMA must’ve gotten after them pretty good at halftime.

Haha I feel ya but Gotta stay unpredictable. Know when to press. Butler had a week to work on beating the press. We were flying around the court in the second half. They got noticeably tired and tight with their shooting. They were at 46 points for what seemed like eternity.

The press is to speed them up, but the damage was done in the halfcourt defense. We finally got our hands active and starting stealing ball after ball. Just imagine if we get ONE good shooting night..

(POST GAME) Butler, Tues. Dec. 31, 7:30pm, FS-1, 970AM 1 month 3 weeks ago #370253

• Porgyman
  • Thank you received: 181
From experience, in facing a 23 point deficit, under previous coaches, there was no run. The team simply packed it in and lost by 35 points+. This team battles until the end. With experience, and increased talent in future years, we win this game.

(POST GAME) Butler, Tues. Dec. 31, 7:30pm, FS-1, 970AM 1 month 3 weeks ago #370254

• Big Red

fan5577 wrote: Just back from the game. LJ was off tonight. Never really got into the flow of the game. The offensive foul where he pushed off before going to the basket looked bad and I believe had something to do with his not coming back in the game until the last play. Whether he shout have been in at that point or not is debatable.

I don’t think the move won or lost the game. Think about missing around 30 points a game AND your 2 best shooters don’t give not one bucket. I don’t see that happening too much more this year honestly.

(POST GAME) Butler, Tues. Dec. 31, 7:30pm, FS-1, 970AM 1 month 3 weeks ago #370255

• SJU61982
  • Thank you received: 1077

CMA TIME wrote:

You can really only set up the press after made shots, or dead balls. We had so many misses in the first half, that we couldn't do it.

(POST GAME) Butler, Tues. Dec. 31, 7:30pm, FS-1, 970AM 1 month 3 weeks ago #370256

• CMA TIME
  • Thank you received: 166

Big Red wrote:

CMA TIME wrote:

Haha I feel ya but Gotta stay unpredictable. Know when to press. Butler had a week to work on beating the press. We were flying around the court in the second half. They got noticeably tired and tight with their shooting. They were at 46 points for what seemed like eternity.

The press is to speed them up, but the damage was done in the halfcourt defense. We finally got our hands active and starting stealing ball after ball. Just imagine if we get ONE good shooting night..

Just Imagine when we have a year that we have 5 or 6 excellent shooters, to go with this defense.
That's when we'll get 12 players in a game, 10 in double figures, 100pnts, 40pnt wins.
Nolan style baby.
When we get to that point I want to crush teams , not just beat them.

We were on the other end for many times over the last 20years.

(POST GAME) Butler, Tues. Dec. 31, 7:30pm, FS-1, 970AM 1 month 3 weeks ago #370257

• Knight
  • Knight's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 1431
Tough loss, but one with many lessons.
I think we now know we have a good team that will compete in BE competition. We basically played without our 2 best players. And another tough loss with Stephens referring.

Moderators: mkras99SJUFAN2espkengmanlawmanfankranmarsOhioFanotisredmannorthKnight