Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

(POST GAME) Butler, Tues. Dec. 31, 7:30pm, FS-1, 970AM 8 months 3 weeks ago #370329

• IDRAFT
  • Thank you received: 580
Although the rebounding has been stronger on the offensive side against other teams the overall rebounding disparity needs context. There are no rebounds to be had if you steal the ball first.
The following user(s) said Thank You: redken

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last edit: by IDRAFT.

(POST GAME) Butler, Tues. Dec. 31, 7:30pm, FS-1, 970AM 8 months 3 weeks ago #370333

• BrookJersey Redmen
  • Thank you received: 219
Proud of the second half comeback and effort on defense. need to take smarter shots. I'd say the rest of the BE will be on notice and afraid of our pressing D. Hopefully, against competition lesser than Butler we will do well.

(POST GAME) Butler, Tues. Dec. 31, 7:30pm, FS-1, 970AM 8 months 3 weeks ago #370334

• Logen
  • Thank you received: 1864

Section9 wrote:

Paultzman wrote:

Logen wrote: After we squandered leads in previous games, many, including myself, talked about basketball being a game of runs and it is. So we had a tremendous 2nd half run, got a lead late and then couldn’t close it out. It’s about W’s and L’s and in my opinion there are no moral victories and that was a bad loss. Another example of us not knowing how to play with a lead. And I may be harsh but Dunn backing that ball out was a “me” play and I just don’t see it.

Great point on Dunn play, inexplicable.

Yeah, I get that but that's an NYC pg mentality. He wants the ball in the end. Seems we forgot what he did against wvu at the end. You've got to live with it, good or bad until this team has more offensive talent.

I did not comment on him having the ball, I commented on what he did with it. Having said that, In
don’t buy that “NYC guard” or having to live with poor decisions in the end game for a second. Just because someone wants the ball doesn’t mean they should have it. He made a good play against WVU but one play does not give him a free pass to do whatever he wants at the end of games. He scores because he is a volume shooter not because he is anything other than an average offensive player. Frankly and unfortunately, we have a team of them, including, up to now, Heron and Figueroa.
One last point, no way in hell did we lose that game because of the last play. I just thought he made a very poor decision and pointed it out.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Paultzman, redken

(POST GAME) Butler, Tues. Dec. 31, 7:30pm, FS-1, 970AM 8 months 3 weeks ago #370335

• Knight
  • Knight's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 1743

IDRAFT wrote: Although the rebounding has been stronger on the offensive side against other teams the overall rebounding disparity needs context. There are no rebounds to be had if you steal the ball first.

Not sure what you meant, there were 69 rebounds available on FG attempts.

(POST GAME) Butler, Tues. Dec. 31, 7:30pm, FS-1, 970AM 8 months 3 weeks ago #370338

• QueensBall
  • Thank you received: 634
I was just texting with a friend who roots for Marquette about our game last night and he made a point that I found extremely encouraging. He said that he's noticed that when teams are going through a rebuild/new coach, fan bases are generally optimistic initially (not everyone of course but most are hopeful) and tend to react one of two ways once the season starts. Either:

A) They sound like they're trying to convince whoever they're talking to that things are going well. My friend pointed out that it almost seems like they're trying to sell you a used car. "Well when he gets his guys in there..." or "We have a bad record but we're not getting blown out" " etc. Fans will cherry pick stats that show the coach is making progress and ignore stats that don't back it up, etc.

or

B )The fans are clearly excited and just tell you what is happening. "You should watch a game. It's been really fun so far." "They're rebounding like monsters." etc. When a new coach is clearly doing well the fans trust that if people watch the team the progress will be obvious. These fan's tone just has a ring of truthfulness to it because they're genuinely proud of the way the team is performing and want others to see. Nobody is trying to sell anyone. Just to even up the comparison we agreed it's like the car salesmen who confidently says, "Just take it for a test drive and see what you think."

He then said he felt like St. John's has been in the first category for a long time now and suddenly something has changed with Anderson and we're clearly in the latter. Something about his assessment felt true to me.
The following user(s) said Thank You: IDRAFT

Last edit: by QueensBall.

(POST GAME) Butler, Tues. Dec. 31, 7:30pm, FS-1, 970AM 8 months 3 weeks ago #370341

• IDRAFT
  • Thank you received: 580

Knight wrote:

IDRAFT wrote: Although the rebounding has been stronger on the offensive side against other teams the overall rebounding disparity needs context. There are no rebounds to be had if you steal the ball first.

Not sure what you meant, there were 69 rebounds available on FG attempts.

SJU attempted six more shots than Butler. As folks point out Butler outrebounded SJU. Take a look at another statistic, turnovers. I would be fine if SJU had zero defensive rebounds a game if the other team never gets a shot off. If you have a huge advantage in turnovers and also shoot at a lower percentage than the other team those are factors that effect rebounding disparity. Not defending the rebounding effort, just pointing out that the numbers need full context or they are misleading.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ctstorm, RJGBOOTSY

(POST GAME) Butler, Tues. Dec. 31, 7:30pm, FS-1, 970AM 8 months 3 weeks ago #370342

• Enright
  • Thank you received: 525
MA has had the team playing hard all season but last night the effort put out by Rutherford, Williams , Dunn and Earlington was extroidinary.
The following user(s) said Thank You: RJGBOOTSY

(POST GAME) Butler, Tues. Dec. 31, 7:30pm, FS-1, 970AM 8 months 3 weeks ago #370343

• Mike Zaun
  • Thank you received: 1386
Normally in recent years, this would really tick me off for a good day or two losing a game that was ours to take late. But putting it in perspective this is year 1 of CMA. We have mostly 2-3 star players who got passed on by mostly everyone. We have 2 players who were courted seriously by big name programs: LJ and Heron our best players and the only we assumed were Big East ready. LJ was essentially out all game because of fouls. Heron was out still recovering. So our 2-3 star guys without our 2 best players by far, came within a 3 of making a KO of a top 10 Butler team after being blown out early. Folks, that's coaching. We weren't going to win every game and I knew it wasn't realistic to expect this W in what was originally a rebuilding year. The fact that we fought right back to make them panic in the closing minutes shows what we have. We have REAL coaching and we have HUNGRY players who are not afraid of being blue collar. We aren't going to have any NPOY candidates, but as a team we are not an easy out for almost anyone. I hope we win 6-9+ Big East games and I really hope recruits are taking notice of this in year 1. CMA is doing with this team what we expected Mullin and Lavin to do with totally loaded rosters...in a rebuild.

Something just tells me CMA is different. Cragg is different. The culture is different. We may finally had a coach who will be around for 10 years. We may not be mom and pop anymore with Cragg. Having fun embracing this.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ron

(POST GAME) Butler, Tues. Dec. 31, 7:30pm, FS-1, 970AM 8 months 3 weeks ago #370344

• usguard
  • Thank you received: 336
But to be a great shooter first you have to be given that gift.that said a great shooter can become great because he had the gift to start with.so a not so good shooter thru hrs of shots everyday possibly can become a good shooter but never great
I don’t what the heck I said Maybe it makes sense to some or perhaps I am the only one lol

(POST GAME) Butler, Tues. Dec. 31, 7:30pm, FS-1, 970AM 8 months 3 weeks ago #370345

• Mike Zaun
  • Thank you received: 1386

usguard wrote: But to be a great shooter first you have to be given that gift.that said a great shooter can become great because he had the gift to start with.so a not so good shooter thru hrs of shots everyday possibly can become a good shooter but never great
I don’t what the heck I said Maybe it makes sense to some or perhaps I am the only one lol

True...look at Pacshall. Went from zero shot to a huge 3 PT threat due to development. I think Champ can become a legit shooter and maybe Dunn, but we get into a lot of trouble when we can only make like 18% or less from 3 most games. That's really bad. We need a Mussini or Jordan Tucker type guy to be able to step in and nail them regularly. I'm hopeful CMA will find some. I also hope the results thus far will lead to at least one or two 4 star recruits committing to us. The hardest part is starting the trend. Once you get a few good recruiting classes, other high recruits seem to follow suit.

Moderators: mkras99SJUFAN2espkengmanlawmanfankranmarsOhioFanotisredmannorthKnight