Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: (POST GAME) Butler, Tues. Dec. 31, 7:30pm, FS-1, 970AM

(POST GAME) Butler, Tues. Dec. 31, 7:30pm, FS-1, 970AM 1 month 2 weeks ago #370284

• dee
  • Thank you received: 36

SJU61982 wrote:

Section9 wrote:

Paultzman wrote:

Logen wrote: After we squandered leads in previous games, many, including myself, talked about basketball being a game of runs and it is. So we had a tremendous 2nd half run, got a lead late and then couldn’t close it out. It’s about W’s and L’s and in my opinion there are no moral victories and that was a bad loss. Another example of us not knowing how to play with a lead. And I may be harsh but Dunn backing that ball out was a “me” play and I just don’t see it.

Great point on Dunn play, inexplicable.

Yeah, I get that but that's an NYC pg mentality. He wants the ball in the end. Seems we forgot what he did against wvu at the end. You've got to live with it, good or bad until this team has more offensive talent.

And Vermont. He hit the big 3 pointer to tie that game, even though we lost.

When a guy wants the ball like he does, you're going to get burned sometimes, but if he doesn't want the ball, he'll burn you every time.

Caraher wanted the ball at the end. Watch the video tape. But he was ignored by Dunn who wanted to be the star. It's a team game !
The following user(s) said Thank You: section10

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

(POST GAME) Butler, Tues. Dec. 31, 7:30pm, FS-1, 970AM 1 month 2 weeks ago #370285

• Duke of Earlington
  • Thank you received: 108

SLYFOXX1968 wrote: Steere not playing is ???. Speculation may be he isn’t Anderson’s type of Player ... he was recruited mid year by Matt A and CM last season ... after much hype here as to getting him eligible , maybe not going to be in the mix as much as us fans believed.. . We played much of the game without a big , as Roberts didn’t play much . Thus , a mystery as to why no Steere , since we were out rebounded throughout the game . Time will tell .

I dont think steere is going to play for us. If I was to make a guess, id say he is not giving much defensive effort in practice. What im noticing from iron mike is defense is the number 1 quality he is looking for. No d, no play.

(POST GAME) Butler, Tues. Dec. 31, 7:30pm, FS-1, 970AM 1 month 2 weeks ago #370288

• Paultzman
  • Thank you received: 16949
With CMA teams practicing and defending passionately seem requisites. Hopefully Ian S realizes that and has bought in.

(POST GAME) Butler, Tues. Dec. 31, 7:30pm, FS-1, 970AM 1 month 2 weeks ago #370289

• Andrew
  • Thank you received: 963
I would think Anderson will give Steere a chance but obviously he believes the other players are ahead of him right now.

(POST GAME) Butler, Tues. Dec. 31, 7:30pm, FS-1, 970AM 1 month 2 weeks ago #370290

• Monte
  • Thank you received: 2560
FYI replay of game on MSG+ right now. Happy Nee Year everyone
The following user(s) said Thank You: Paultzman, bamafan

(POST GAME) Butler, Tues. Dec. 31, 7:30pm, FS-1, 970AM 1 month 2 weeks ago #370292

• Monte
  • Thank you received: 2560
A few observations from game.
- I have no problem with Dunn having the ball in his hands at the end. Like everyone else, hated the circle-back towards half court. Dunn’s a high energy kid who sometimes tries to do more than his skill sets allow. I trust CMA will reel him in as season progresses.
-Just watching Steere in his couple of minute appearance on the court, he doesn’t seem to bring the kind of energy, nor run the floor, like all the other kids. Granted a very small sample size, but that was my take away. Of course practice is a big unknown. Don’t blame CMA for not playing him yesterday, especially when we were fighting to get out of the hole we dug
-While I was very disappointed in the L, it’s an L I can accept considering we fought like hell and played without our 2 best players. It’s a long season and we’ll win some of these(IE Zona game) and lose some. As long as we keep playing hard, which we will, this will continue to be a very exciting and fun season.
The following user(s) said Thank You: redmannorth, Paultzman, redken, otis, bamafan, shamsman2, Andrew, NCJohnnie

Last edit: by Monte.

(POST GAME) Butler, Tues. Dec. 31, 7:30pm, FS-1, 970AM 1 month 2 weeks ago #370294

• MCNPA
  • Thank you received: 2064
It’s a loss but by 2 points to the number 11 team in the country and we could have won. Still without Heron and with LJ for much of the game. We are going to win our share for sure and can compete with anybody even in a year that is far from our strongest talent-wise. Keep charging and we can get ours even this season.

PS. I read a lot the Big East team message boards as well as others. The overwhelming consensus is how good of a coach Mike Anderson is. Everybody is more than impressed so the job he’s doing here and it’s plain to see by fans of other teams. We are on the right path and it’s clear. An excellent coach is what we needed and we have one.
The following user(s) said Thank You: redken, RedStormRising, ipd200

Last edit: by MCNPA.

(POST GAME) Butler, Tues. Dec. 31, 7:30pm, FS-1, 970AM 1 month 2 weeks ago #370295

• QueensBall
  • Thank you received: 355
Embarrassing first half, thrilling comeback and heart-breaking loss. Feel like everyone's opinions are valid here. Extremely encouraging that this team was able to fight back and take the lead rather than just lay down however I understand being upset that we had the #11 team down 5 with 3 minutes left and lost. What a strange game. Excited for the rest of a long season. Also, great job to all the posters who showed up to support the team. Watching on my tv on the west coast, you could feel the crowd's energy in the 2nd half through the screen.

Agree that Figueroa and Heron need to step up. The narrative coming into the season has flipped. They were supposed to carry this team but the reason we've had a pretty good season is the supporting cast over-achieving to make up for their inconsistent play. That was LJ's worst game as a Johnnie. I'm a HUGE fan but he's regressed. I understand they're our most talented players and still score the bulk of our points when healthy but their poor/inconsistent play is hurting the team. With great power comes great responsibility and all that...

This team has looked it's best without a "star" on the court who everyone is deferring to. There's still a lot of season left and I believe they'll eventually get it together but to be blunt they haven't PLAYED like leaders on the court. Other guys have led by their effort on the court.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Paultzman, JackofVirginia, RedStormRising, Logen, Andrew

Last edit: by QueensBall.

(POST GAME) Butler, Tues. Dec. 31, 7:30pm, FS-1, 970AM 1 month 2 weeks ago #370296

• SJU61982
  • Thank you received: 1077

QueensBall wrote: Embarrassing first half, thrilling comeback and heart-breaking loss. Feel like everyone's opinions are valid here. Extremely encouraging that this team was able to fight back and take the lead rather than just lay down however I understand being upset that we had the #11 team down 5 with 3 minutes left and lost. What a strange game. Excited for the rest of a long season. Also, great job to all the posters who showed up to support the team. Watching on my tv on the west coast, you could feel the crowd's energy in the 2nd half through the screen.

Agree that Figueroa and Heron need to step up. The narrative coming into the season has flipped. They were supposed to carry this team but the reason we've had a pretty good season is the supporting cast over-achieving to make up for their inconsistent play. That was LJ's worst game as a Johnnie. I'm a HUGE fan but he's regressed. I understand they're our most talented players and still score the bulk of our points when healthy but their poor/inconsistent play is hurting the team. With great power comes great responsibility and all that...

This team has looked it's best without a "star" on the court who everyone is deferring to. There's still a lot of season left and I believe they'll eventually get it together but to be blunt they haven't PLAYED like leaders on the court. Other guys have led by their effort on the court.

You're last paragraph, I just can't get behind, on principle. Even if you're right, I can't get behind it.

You need that alpha dog late in games. Butler had that in Baldwin (that shot he hit to cut it to 1, is a shot you just live with defensively, IMO). We did not, and it's why the offense went AWOL down the stretch.

There's just no way we're a better team without those two, over the long haul. No way, no how.

(POST GAME) Butler, Tues. Dec. 31, 7:30pm, FS-1, 970AM 1 month 2 weeks ago #370297

• QueensBall
  • Thank you received: 355

SJU61982 wrote:

QueensBall wrote: Embarrassing first half, thrilling comeback and heart-breaking loss. Feel like everyone's opinions are valid here. Extremely encouraging that this team was able to fight back and take the lead rather than just lay down however I understand being upset that we had the #11 team down 5 with 3 minutes left and lost. What a strange game. Excited for the rest of a long season. Also, great job to all the posters who showed up to support the team. Watching on my tv on the west coast, you could feel the crowd's energy in the 2nd half through the screen.

You're last paragraph, I just can't get behind, on principle. Even if you're right, I can't get behind it.

You need that alpha dog late in games. Butler had that in Baldwin (that shot he hit to cut it to 1, is a shot you just live with defensively, IMO). We did not, and it's why the offense went AWOL down the stretch.

There's just no way we're a better team without those two, over the long haul. No way, no how.

I should clarify that I agree with you we're a better team with those two guys moving forward. CLEARLY. I'm not trying to say they should be benched or anything insane like that. Grateful to have them. Only highlighting that they've under-performed thus far. And I do believe that the 2nd half of last night's game was probably the best we've played all season and those guys were not on the court. This team is at it's best with them on the court playing up to their potential. We have a much lower ceiling unless that happens. That's all I meant to say. We're in no position to take two very talented guys for granted. They are necessary for success at the level we're all hoping for.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Paultzman, JackofVirginia, Logen, NCJohnnie

Moderators: mkras99SJUFAN2espkengmanlawmanfankranmarsOhioFanotisredmannorthKnight