Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: What if?

What if? 4 months 1 day ago #366824

  • danfog
  • danfog's Avatar Topic Author
  • Offline
  • Posts: 187
  • Thank you received: 10
If coach Anderson was here last year how do you think we would have made out?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

What if? 4 months 1 day ago #366828

  • MCNPA
  • MCNPA's Avatar
  • Offline
  • Posts: 5263
  • Thank you received: 2203
Like night and day. We’d have been better.
The following user(s) said Thank You: otis, Ray Morgan

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

What if? 4 months 1 day ago #366829

  • Adam
  • Adam's Avatar
  • Offline
  • Posts: 2298
  • Thank you received: 1186
It's odd actually winning games following a Tournament year. Feels like whenever we limp into the Tournament, we're supposed to follow that up with 3 years of mediocrity. That obviously is just a St. John's thing, though, and has everything to do with the staff. Last year I'd say we would've went 11-7 in conference with CMA as coach.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Mike Zaun

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

What if? 4 months 1 day ago #366831

  • Section9
  • Section9's Avatar
  • Offline
  • Posts: 1888
  • Thank you received: 529
That's a tough question. Don't know if Shamorie would have bought in to the new philosophy or not.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Mike Zaun

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

What if? 4 months 1 day ago #366832

  • Logen
  • Logen's Avatar
  • Offline
  • Posts: 3437
  • Thank you received: 1855
Who knows? All of the current players certainly seem to have bought in to Anderson and staff. Would that have happened with last years team? Who knows?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

What if? 4 months 1 day ago #366836

  • MCNPA
  • MCNPA's Avatar
  • Offline
  • Posts: 5263
  • Thank you received: 2203

Logen wrote: Who knows? All of the current players certainly seem to have bought in to Anderson and staff. Would that have happened with last years team? Who knows?


I don’t think it’s a nobody knows type scenario. We’d be using our bench and rebounding much more. I think our offense would use better spacing and we’d be a lot more aggressive at both ends. Anderson is clearly a better coach than Mullin and I think we’d have been more consistent. Again, it’s just speculation but we’ve all seen a lot of progression under Anderson within less talent in the starting lineup. I think we’d have been more focused at minimum, with better preparation for games.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

What if? 4 months 1 day ago #366837

  • Mario
  • Mario's Avatar
  • Offline
  • Posts: 193
  • Thank you received: 86
The only benefit I venture to guess would be to have 1 year of Anderson's system under the teams belt and perhaps 1 year of progress in recruiting.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

What if? 4 months 1 day ago #366853

  • Logen
  • Logen's Avatar
  • Offline
  • Posts: 3437
  • Thank you received: 1855

MCNPA wrote:

Logen wrote: Who knows? All of the current players certainly seem to have bought in to Anderson and staff. Would that have happened with last years team? Who knows?


I don’t think it’s a nobody knows type scenario. We’d be using our bench and rebounding much more. I think our offense would use better spacing and we’d be a lot more aggressive at both ends. Anderson is clearly a better coach than Mullin and I think we’d have been more consistent. Again, it’s just speculation but we’ve all seen a lot of progression under Anderson within less talent in the starting lineup. I think we’d have been more focused at minimum, with better preparation for games.


Assuming everybody bought in to all of that which was my point. Exactly how do you know that would have happened? Yes, Anderson is a better coach than Mullin, no question, but players play and there is no way of knowing who would have bought in to what. Or whether it would have been more SJU dysfunction if they did not, getting Anderson off to a rough start. I guess you feel you know exactly what would have happened but I’m not sure how.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

What if? 4 months 1 day ago #366854

  • MCNPA
  • MCNPA's Avatar
  • Offline
  • Posts: 5263
  • Thank you received: 2203

Logen wrote:

MCNPA wrote:

Logen wrote: Who knows? All of the current players certainly seem to have bought in to Anderson and staff. Would that have happened with last years team? Who knows?


I don’t think it’s a nobody knows type scenario. We’d be using our bench and rebounding much more. I think our offense would use better spacing and we’d be a lot more aggressive at both ends. Anderson is clearly a better coach than Mullin and I think we’d have been more consistent. Again, it’s just speculation but we’ve all seen a lot of progression under Anderson within less talent in the starting lineup. I think we’d have been more focused at minimum, with better preparation for games.


Assuming everybody bought in to all of that which was my point. Exactly how do you know that would have happened? Yes, Anderson is a better coach than Mullin, no question, but players play and there is no way of knowing who would have bought in to what. Or whether it would have been more SJU dysfunction if they did not, getting Anderson off to a rough start. I guess you feel you know exactly what would have happened but I’m not sure how.


Well the truth is that we didn’t have a lot of dysfunction. We had a good share of shitty coaching though. Our team was fun last year but was mega inconsistent and was taught not to go for rebounds. We often looked confused. Guys like Marvin Clark, Simon etc did what they were told to do out there.

I’m looking at what we have this year so far, which is a bunch of kids that didn’t play at all last year contributing to our depth in an extremely meaningful manner. Our offense last year would die by the 5-out, no rebounding philosophy and we just won a big game at the garden on defense and rebounding and our bench that Mullin would only use in the last 30 seconds of the game.

At minimum we would have developed our bench more last year. I also think our starting 5 would have greatly benefitted from good coaching, and why wouldn’t they?

I don’t know exactly what they’d have done, but Clark wouldn’t have just been a perimeter guy and my hunch is that we’d be playing a lot more like thi season but with quite a bit more talent like Ponds, Clark and Simon.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last edit: by MCNPA.

What if? 4 months 1 day ago #366860

  • Logen
  • Logen's Avatar
  • Offline
  • Posts: 3437
  • Thank you received: 1855

MCNPA wrote:

Logen wrote:

MCNPA wrote:

Logen wrote: Who knows? All of the current players certainly seem to have bought in to Anderson and staff. Would that have happened with last years team? Who knows?


I don’t think it’s a nobody knows type scenario. We’d be using our bench and rebounding much more. I think our offense would use better spacing and we’d be a lot more aggressive at both ends. Anderson is clearly a better coach than Mullin and I think we’d have been more consistent. Again, it’s just speculation but we’ve all seen a lot of progression under Anderson within less talent in the starting lineup. I think we’d have been more focused at minimum, with better preparation for games.


Assuming everybody bought in to all of that which was my point. Exactly how do you know that would have happened? Yes, Anderson is a better coach than Mullin, no question, but players play and there is no way of knowing who would have bought in to what. Or whether it would have been more SJU dysfunction if they did not, getting Anderson off to a rough start. I guess you feel you know exactly what would have happened but I’m not sure how.


Well the truth is that we didn’t have a lot of dysfunction. We had a good share of shitty coaching though. Our team was fun last year but was mega inconsistent and was taught not to go for rebounds. We often looked confused. Guys like Marvin Clark, Simon etc did what they were told to do out there.

I’m looking at what we have this year so far, which is a bunch of kids that didn’t play at all last year contributing to our depth in an extremely meaningful manner. Our offense last year would die by the 5-out, no rebounding philosophy and we just won a big game at the garden on defense and rebounding and our bench that Mullin would only use in the last 30 seconds of the game.

At minimum we would have developed our bench more last year. I also think our starting 5 would have greatly benefitted from good coaching, and why wouldn’t they?

I don’t know exactly what they’d have done, but Clark wouldn’t have just been a perimeter guy and my hunch is that we’d be playing a lot more like thi season but with quite a bit more talent like Ponds, Clark and Simon.


Well we also disagree here, we had an absolute ton of dysfunction last year and not all caused by the coaches. I am not going there with individual players but still, you miss my point. If the players bought in, I agree wholeheartedly we would have been better. I just don’t believe it is a slam dunk that some of the players on that team would have bought in.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Moderators: mkras99SJUFAN2espkengmanlawmanfankranmarsOhioFanotisredmannorthKnight