Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Rysheed Jordan Release 9 months 3 weeks ago #366358

• Sju grad 13
  • Thank you received: 605

panther2 wrote: I have a question for everyone. Basketball may or may not be over for Rysheed, no one really knows. However, if he were to decide that he wanted to return to St. Johns and pursue a Degree in Human Service and Counseling, how would you feel.? Would anyone be adverse to the school offering him financial aid? Would anyone involved in Health Care offer him an Internship or Summer employment?

I would hope he would. I don’t like to get into my personal life but as a brotha who grew up in the inner city like Rysheed ( Pomonk projects) I can tell you for a fact leaving the street life is a lot harder than it seems. I lost my cousin Jovan execution style in Fort Greene park in Brooklyn and one of my best friends Kevin daughtery was shot in the head for a game of basketball, sadly both times I thought about getting a gun myself but I never had the heart to pull it. So I do sympathize a little with Rysheed even though it’s no excuse. I really believe a college degree from SJU can turn his life around.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Room112, Monte, Beast of the East, otis, gman, panther2, Andrew, AlexSTJ, NCJohnnie

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last edit: by Sju grad 13.

Rysheed Jordan Release 9 months 2 weeks ago #366845

• fuchsia
  • Thank you received: 555

richard A Steinfeld wrote: It’s an interesting debate. But college isn’t for everyone. Sheed didn’t attend classes his final year at SJU, and never showed an interest in academics. Like a previous poster said, he may be better off at a trade school. Although if possible playing BB overseas would be his best bet.

Two stories Rich.

When I was at Bronx Psychiatric we set up a program to train people recovering from substance use disorders who had achieved treatment stability and wanted to learn counseling skills. We taught co-occurring disorder counseling, how to work with people facing both mental illness and substance use problems. We wound up putting more than 500 recovering people with both clinical training and street smarts in to the workforce. The sweetest moment for each class was always when a student would come back to the weekly clinical skills workshop and be at a loss for words. When we asked what happened the answer usually amounted to their first experience of being in clinical rounds where the staff reviews cases and when they got to substance use issues they turned to the intern and asked "what do you think?" Those first moments of what had always been a stigma and a burden now being treated as an asset by a professional staff can change self-concept.

The second story. My closest friend has seven grandsons and no granddaughters. One of the grandson announced that he did not want to go to college. He got a job as a Mercedes Benz mechanic. He went from there (I don't know if there is a draft) to work on Lamborghinis on the west coast and from there to working for the McClaren racing team. Last I heard he enlisted to become a Green Beret and just finished training at Ft. Benning.

Arrived by auto train yesterday and will begin plotting when we can get the Florida crew together.
The following user(s) said Thank You: otis, panther2, richard A Steinfeld

Rysheed Jordan Release 9 months 2 weeks ago #366851

• Beast of the East
  • Thank you received: 4038

Sju grad 13 wrote:

panther2 wrote: I have a question for everyone. Basketball may or may not be over for Rysheed, no one really knows. However, if he were to decide that he wanted to return to St. Johns and pursue a Degree in Human Service and Counseling, how would you feel.? Would anyone be adverse to the school offering him financial aid? Would anyone involved in Health Care offer him an Internship or Summer employment?

I would hope he would. I don’t like to get into my personal life but as a brotha who grew up in the inner city like Rysheed ( Pomonk projects) I can tell you for a fact leaving the street life is a lot harder than it seems. I lost my cousin Jovan execution style in Fort Greene park in Brooklyn and one of my best friends Kevin daughtery was shot in the head for a game of basketball, sadly both times I thought about getting a gun myself but I never had the heart to pull it. So I do sympathize a little with Rysheed even though it’s no excuse. I really believe a college degree from SJU can turn his life around.

As always, graceful wisdom. There's a reason the streets swallow so many young men.

Rysheed Jordan Release 9 months 2 weeks ago #367221

• RedStormNC
  • Thank you received: 1611
The following user(s) said Thank You: panther2

Rysheed Jordan Release 9 months 2 weeks ago #367241

• NCJohnnie
  • Thank you received: 4932
Really hope Rysheed gets it now, but not optimistic.

Rysheed Jordan Release 9 months 1 week ago #368338

• RedStormNC
The following user(s) said Thank You: Monte, Paultzman, algold98

Rysheed Jordan Release 9 months 1 week ago #368346

• Monte
  • Thank you received: 3321

RedStormNC wrote:

Maybe Rysheed needed to hit rock bottom before he could lift himself up. As a star athlete, he's gotten a pass on a lot mistakes in his young life. Maybe this was the wake up call that he needed. Hoping that's the case. So far he seems to being the right things.
The following user(s) said Thank You: redmannorth, Jnaw17, RedStormNC, Mike Zaun

Rysheed Jordan Release 9 months 1 week ago #368568

• RedStormNC
Give him credit for trying to turn it around for himself and others

The following user(s) said Thank You: SJUNC, Monte, MJDinkins, panther2, JohnnyFan

Rysheed Jordan Release 8 months 3 weeks ago #371087

• RedStormNC
Getting a shot in semi pro ABA w/ local team

whyy.org/articles/monarchs-bring-hoops-and-hope-to-camden/
The following user(s) said Thank You: Room112, Monte

Last edit: by RedStormNC.

Rysheed Jordan Release 8 months 2 weeks ago #371140

• Beast of the East
  • Thank you received: 4038

RedStormNC wrote: Give him credit for trying to turn it around for himself and others

I'm not so quick to hand out accolades. Happy if he has started the walk in the right direction. Now if the walk has begun he has to walk away from all the things that got him in the trouble. If he is really smart, he recognizes the things he has to separate himself from that destroyed his immediate future. He can't undo the things he did, but he can grow up, own up to his mistakes, and live an exemplary life. If he does those two things, whether or not he ever plays professionally in the NBA or elsewhere, he will have achieved success.

Good luck Rysheed. Everyone deserves a second chance but not everyone gets one. Make the best of this.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Monte, panther2

Moderators: mkras99SJUFAN2espkengmanlawmanfankranmarsOhioFanotisredmannorthKnight