Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Rysheed Jordan Release

Rysheed Jordan Release 2 months 2 weeks ago #365512

• Moose
  • Thank you received: 3240

RedStormNC wrote: I'd think it would be a very hard sell for an overseas team to give him a shot.

Not a lawyer but if he was convicted of a felony can he even be allowed to enter certain countries.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Rysheed Jordan Release 2 months 2 weeks ago #365514

• mjmaherjr
  • Thank you received: 4251

RedStormNC wrote: I'd think it would be a very hard sell for an overseas team to give him a shot.

you just had to say shot didnt you :)
The following user(s) said Thank You: Andrew, RedStormNC

Rysheed Jordan Release 2 months 2 weeks ago #365515

• CMA TIME
  • Thank you received: 166

Plus, how could he leave the country if he's on parole? If he can, would a team even want someone who tried taking another man's life? They have to be pretty desperate.

I'm guessing they set up a program for him before he even got out.
Maybe he could be a guidance counselor for troubled youth when he gets off parole?

Rysheed Jordan Release 2 months 2 weeks ago #365516

• L J S A
  • Thank you received: 2609
He has four years of rust on him, and he tried to kill someone. There might be some other ways for him to make money using his basketball talent, but I don't think he's ever making money by playing in an organized league.
The following user(s) said Thank You: cappy105, NCJohnnie

Rysheed Jordan Release 2 months 2 weeks ago #365517

• mjmaherjr
  • Thank you received: 4251

Tom H O'Toole wrote:

Plus, how could he leave the country if he's on parole? If he can, would a team even want someone who tried taking another man's life? They have to be pretty desperate.

I'm guessing they set up a program for him before he even got out.
Maybe he could be a guidance counselor for troubled youth when he gets off parole?

Not joking apparently someone was in jail and was able to play in Iraq

sports.yahoo.com/long-distance-shot-amer...-iraq-130051797.html
The following user(s) said Thank You: RedStormNC

Rysheed Jordan Release 2 months 2 weeks ago #365519

• P Simmons
  • Thank you received: 202

L J S A wrote: He has four years of rust on him, and he tried to kill someone. There might be some other ways for him to make money using his basketball talent, but I don't think he's ever making money by playing in an organized league.

He was not convicted of attempted murder.
We all have our opinions but can we just get our facts straight before tossing our terms like “he tried to kill someone.”

Rysheed Jordan Release 2 months 2 weeks ago #365521

• NCJohnnie
  • Thank you received: 4170
P Simmons wrote: He was not convicted of attempted murder.
We all have our opinions but can we just get our facts straight before tossing our terms like “he tried to kill someone.”

www.si.com/college/2016/06/01/rysheed-jo...y-st-johns-red-storm

He was in fact charged with attempted murder and did shoot someone. I wish Rysheed the best and hope he turns his life around, but make no mistake he was charged with a very serious crime.

Rysheed Jordan Release 2 months 2 weeks ago #365523

• Logen
  • Thank you received: 1793

P Simmons wrote:

L J S A wrote: He has four years of rust on him, and he tried to kill someone. There might be some other ways for him to make money using his basketball talent, but I don't think he's ever making money by playing in an organized league.

He was not convicted of attempted murder.

The fact is he shot at someone, pretty sure that qualifies in the court of common sense. You are splitting hairs and it is coming off as ridiculous.
The following user(s) said Thank You: L J S A

Rysheed Jordan Release 2 months 2 weeks ago #365524

• otis
  • Thank you received: 1160

Moose wrote: Not a lawyer but if he was convicted of a felony can he even be allowed to enter certain countries.

There are a lot of unknowns with regard to Rasheed's release.

- Moose is correct that a criminal conviction can be a bar to entry to another country. One or more of the Providences in Canada prevent entry of US residents with DWI convictions. It is likely that many, most or all of the European countries where Americans play basketball have restrictions for entry for those with serious criminal convictions thereby complicating his playing overseas..

- what was Rysheed convicted of ? I "googled" for information regarding that question without success. News reports after his arrest indicated that he was charged with attempted murder, robbery, criminal conspiracy and simple assault, among others. Because he was held in jail for 3 !/2 years there had to have been a final adjudication of his charges. It is likely that Rysheed plead guilty to a single lesser charge (perhaps robbery) and was sentenced to something like 5 - 7 years jail which with good behavior (and perhaps Parole) allowed him to be released after 3 1/2 years.

- Is Rysheed on parole ? Not sure anyone on this board knows at this point in time but it's a good chance he is. If he is on Parole then (assuming Pennsylvania law is consistent with others) prior to release he would have been required to submit a plan for his after release (i.e.. where he will live, work, etc.) and will be required to report to his Parole Officer for supervision who will monitor and can restrict his travel. I would not be surprised if Fr. Rock played a party in putting together Jordan's "after release plan" which would have included a plan for employment.

Last edit: by otis.

Rysheed Jordan Release 2 months 2 weeks ago #365532

• Monte
  • Thank you received: 2560

otis wrote:

Moose wrote: Not a lawyer but if he was convicted of a felony can he even be allowed to enter certain countries.

There are a lot of unknowns with regard to Rasheed's release.

- Moose is correct that a criminal conviction can be a bar to entry to another country. One or more of the Providences in Canada prevent entry of US residents with DWI convictions. It is likely that many, most or all of the European countries where Americans play basketball have restrictions for entry for those with serious criminal convictions thereby complicating his playing overseas..

- what was Rysheed convicted of ? I "googled" for information regarding that question without success. News reports after his arrest indicated that he was charged with attempted murder, robbery, criminal conspiracy and simple assault, among others. Because he was held in jail for 3 !/2 years there had to have been a final adjudication of his charges. It is likely that Rysheed plead guilty to a single lesser charge (perhaps robbery) and was sentenced to something like 5 - 7 years jail which with good behavior (and perhaps Parole) allowed him to be released after 3 1/2 years.

- Is Rysheed on parole ? Not sure anyone on this board knows at this point in time but it's a good chance he is. If he is on Parole then (assuming Pennsylvania law is consistent with others) prior to release he would have been required to submit a plan for his after release (i.e.. where he will live, work, etc.) and will be required to report to his Parole Officer for supervision who will monitor and can restrict his travel. I would not be surprised if Fr. Rock played a party in putting together Jordan's "after release plan" which would have included a plan for employment.

Thanks for the legal analysis Otis. If not playing ball, I can certainly see him working as a youth counselor/coach if he’s willing to do that. Talking to youngsters about potential pitfalls, etc. Mere speculation and wishful thinking on my part.
The following user(s) said Thank You: mjmaherjr, Logen, L J S A, JohnnyFan

Moderators: mkras99SJUFAN2espkengmanlawmanfankranmarsOhioFanotisredmannorthKnight