Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Around College Basketball 2019/20 Season 7 months 7 hours ago #372091

  • Amaseinyourface
  • Amaseinyourface's Avatar
  • Offline
  • Posts: 3825
  • Thank you received: 1259

sjc88 wrote:

Amaseinyourface wrote:

sjc88 wrote:

Mean Gene wrote:

sjc88 wrote: Just watching Yukon and Wichita St. Some of the worst coaching decisions I have ever seen from both sides and now they are in OT 69-69. Officiating is also pathetically bad. If this were a St John’s game this board would be on fire.


Witchita St should have fouled up 3 at the end of regulation. Why let UConn take a 3 there???


Wichita St gets the win. We agree they should have fouled made absolutely zero sense. Both Gillen and Lappas were saying the same thing. Did same thing in OT but Yukon missed wide open 3. Hurley is a terrible in game coach. How he didn’t foul down 3 with 41 seconds is unbelievable. The other coach bailed him out by not fouling.

We could write a book on the bad calls. Two guys fighting for the ball and they allow Wichita St to call TO without possession?! My favorite was the premature whistle where Yukon saves ball but well they blew whistle. Non reviewable. Embarrassing job by the refs and I was pulling against Yukon.


I didn’t see the game so don’t know exactly the scenario you’re describing, but I’d say if it’s 45 (+15 of shot clock) in a one possession game, you play it out and try to get a stop. It’s definitely debatable.


Here is what happened. It was about 41 seconds left. WS has possession up 3. Full 30 seconds on shot clock. Hurley decides to play it out. WS Forces up shot air ball. Shot clock violation. 10 point something seconds left. Yukon has to go full length of court. WS elects NOT to foul. Yukon brings ball up reaching mid court about 6 seconds left. They find wide open Sid Wilson who drains 3 basically at the buzzer.

WS decision not to foul say at mid court (5 plus seconds) or 2 or 3 seconds when guard was looking for anyone. WS clearly should have fouled up 3. The odds were in there favor. The only argument for Hurley is that it worked. Only because WS didn’t foul. This was terrible decision making by both teams.


Well that’s a pretty strong argument lol.

I’ll say this and I personally go back and forth on it; fouling up 3 works a lot of the time, BUT it also opens the door up for you to get beat(e.g. Sending the team to the line with time left, they hit 1st and then a 3 on a OReb beats you). Where as playing good defense might allow for the team to hit a 3 for the tie, there isn’t a chance you’re going to lose.

So where I can see your point, I don’t think either of those things the coaches did couldn’t be looked at objectively as reasonable decisions.
The following user(s) said Thank You: sjc88

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Around College Basketball 2019/20 Season 7 months 7 hours ago #372092

  • sjc88
  • sjc88's Avatar
  • Offline
  • Posts: 2044
  • Thank you received: 879

Amaseinyourface wrote:

sjc88 wrote:

Amaseinyourface wrote:

sjc88 wrote:

Mean Gene wrote:

sjc88 wrote: Just watching Yukon and Wichita St. Some of the worst coaching decisions I have ever seen from both sides and now they are in OT 69-69. Officiating is also pathetically bad. If this were a St John’s game this board would be on fire.


Witchita St should have fouled up 3 at the end of regulation. Why let UConn take a 3 there???


Wichita St gets the win. We agree they should have fouled made absolutely zero sense. Both Gillen and Lappas were saying the same thing. Did same thing in OT but Yukon missed wide open 3. Hurley is a terrible in game coach. How he didn’t foul down 3 with 41 seconds is unbelievable. The other coach bailed him out by not fouling.

We could write a book on the bad calls. Two guys fighting for the ball and they allow Wichita St to call TO without possession?! My favorite was the premature whistle where Yukon saves ball but well they blew whistle. Non reviewable. Embarrassing job by the refs and I was pulling against Yukon.


I didn’t see the game so don’t know exactly the scenario you’re describing, but I’d say if it’s 45 (+15 of shot clock) in a one possession game, you play it out and try to get a stop. It’s definitely debatable.


Here is what happened. It was about 41 seconds left. WS has possession up 3. Full 30 seconds on shot clock. Hurley decides to play it out. WS Forces up shot air ball. Shot clock violation. 10 point something seconds left. Yukon has to go full length of court. WS elects NOT to foul. Yukon brings ball up reaching mid court about 6 seconds left. They find wide open Sid Wilson who drains 3 basically at the buzzer.

WS decision not to foul say at mid court (5 plus seconds) or 2 or 3 seconds when guard was looking for anyone. WS clearly should have fouled up 3. The odds were in there favor. The only argument for Hurley is that it worked. Only because WS didn’t foul. This was terrible decision making by both teams.


Well that’s a pretty strong argument lol.

I’ll say this and I personally go back and forth on it; fouling up 3 works a lot of the time, BUT it also opens the door up for you to get beat(e.g. Sending the team to the line with time left, they hit 1st and then a 3 on a OReb beats you). Where as playing good defense might allow for the team to hit a 3 for the tie, there isn’t a chance you’re going to lose.

So where I can see your point, I don’t think either of those things the coaches did couldn’t be looked at objectively as reasonable decisions.


Maybe. I have to say I was not alone in thinking this. Both Pete Gillen and Steve Lappas were questioning this as well. Oh well. Like I said it worked. But seemed he played against logic. I guess the debate rages on!

Hey, I won’t even touch the officiating in this game. Some of the worst I have seen but I would need a whole new thread....LOL.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Amaseinyourface

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Around College Basketball 2019/20 Season 6 months 4 weeks ago #372113

  • Paultzman
  • Paultzman's Avatar
  • Offline
  • Posts: 27035
  • Thank you received: 19708
Another case of wasted talent;

Former McDonald’s All-American Carlton Bragg is now 0-for-3. Was dismissed from Kansas, Arizona State and now New Mexico after arrest early this morning for DWI and possession of marijuana. Had been playing well for Lobos, averaging 12.6 points and 10.3 boards in 15 games.

Jeff Goodman
The following user(s) said Thank You: Coaster

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Around College Basketball 2019/20 Season 6 months 4 weeks ago #372136

  • L J S A
  • L J S A's Avatar
  • Away
  • Posts: 6731
  • Thank you received: 3145

Paultzman wrote: Another case of wasted talent;

Former McDonald’s All-American Carlton Bragg is now 0-for-3. Was dismissed from Kansas, Arizona State and now New Mexico after arrest early this morning for DWI and possession of marijuana. Had been playing well for Lobos, averaging 12.6 points and 10.3 boards in 15 games.

Jeff Goodman


Nebraska next?
The following user(s) said Thank You: Paultzman

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Around College Basketball 2019/20 Season 6 months 4 weeks ago #372181

  • Paultzman
  • Paultzman's Avatar
  • Offline
  • Posts: 27035
  • Thank you received: 19708
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Around College Basketball 2019/20 Season 6 months 4 weeks ago #372183

  • ctstorm
  • ctstorm's Avatar
  • Offline
  • Posts: 656
  • Thank you received: 193

Paultzman wrote:


"For of all sad words of tongue or pen, The saddest are these: 'It Might Have Been" (JG Whittier)
The following user(s) said Thank You: redken, Amaseinyourface, L J S A

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Around College Basketball 2019/20 Season 6 months 4 weeks ago #372306

  • Paultzman
  • Paultzman's Avatar
  • Offline
  • Posts: 27035
  • Thank you received: 19708
A familiar name;

Luther Muhammad, Duane Washington suspended for Ohio State’s game against Nebraska

www.zagsblog.com/2020/01/14/luther-muham...me-against-nebraska/

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Around College Basketball 2019/20 Season 6 months 4 weeks ago #372329

  • Spocky Ramone
  • Spocky Ramone's Avatar
  • Offline
  • Posts: 2169
  • Thank you received: 448
#3 Duke goes down, Clemson with the consolation victory.

It’s wide open this year, if you make the Big Dance you don’t have that unbeatable team facing you, no matter what round it is.
I have come to the conclusion that one useless man is called a disgrace; that two are called a law firm, and that three or more become a Congress - K.I.T.T., “1776”

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Around College Basketball 2019/20 Season 6 months 2 weeks ago #373932

  • RedStormNC
  • RedStormNC's Avatar
  • Offline
  • Posts: 2545
  • Thank you received: 1571
Looks like a new conference will be forming out of current ASUN conference

www.google.com/amp/s/amp.naplesnews.com/amp/4551544002

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Around College Basketball 2019/20 Season 6 months 2 weeks ago #374341

  • NCJohnnie
  • NCJohnnie's Avatar
  • Offline
  • Posts: 4121
  • Thank you received: 4824
Arizona State (12-7) knocked off Arizona last night 66-65. Apparently Remy Martin led a huge second half comeback. May knock Zona out of top 25, but makes our loss to ASU look better.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Moderators: mkras99SJUFAN2espkengmanlawmanfankranmarsOhioFanotisredmannorthKnight