Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Season Tickets

Season Tickets 3 months 4 weeks ago #355738

• SJU61982
  • Thank you received: 951

Mike Zaun wrote:

SJU61982 wrote: On the website, this is justified by saying that all the other Big East teams do this.

Well:

Georgetown has a rising team, and the favored son as coach, so interest is high.

Depual has a new(ish) arena.

All of the other teams have either recent success and/or rabid fanbases (at least, in their local areas).

I don't see what our justification is. Even MSG has become something of a laughing stock in the basketball world (not our fault - thank Dolan, and the NBA Lottery system for that).

Agree the fans need to be given a lot more before you can justify steep increases. However, MSG has become a laughingstock in the basketball world? That's silly IMO. It's one of the premier places to watch any event...in the world. Probably top 3 in the nation at absolute worst. The reason free agents steer clear of the Knicks is James Dolan, not MSG. As long as Dolan is heading operations, the Knicks are guaranteed to fail.

I just fear that future recruits are going to see the Barclays Center as the place to be, in this town. A lot of star power on the Nets, now. If they have success, win a championship, and make several deep playoff runs, MSG could be relegated to second class, at least in the basketball world. Every high school recruit's dream is to be a star in the NBA. With all that star power on the Nets, recruits are more likely to gravitate to that place, IMO, unless RJ Barrett is the real deal (I don't think he is, but I've been wrong before).

The Knicks are in purgatory, the Rangers are in rebuild (though they will be better this year), and college hoops stinks in this town (Syracuse can only play there so often). Other then the monthly Billy Joel concert, MSG really does not have much of anything going for it right now (and why would you go to that if you're not a Billy Joel fan? - for the record, I go at least once a year, sometimes twice).

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last edit: by SJU61982.

Season Tickets 3 months 4 weeks ago #355740

• Andrew
  • Thank you received: 909
Many fans at Knick games are tourists so attendance will always be pretty good.

Season Tickets 3 months 4 weeks ago #355743

• Moose
  • Thank you received: 3152

SJU61982 wrote:

Mike Zaun wrote:

SJU61982 wrote: On the website, this is justified by saying that all the other Big East teams do this.

Well:

Georgetown has a rising team, and the favored son as coach, so interest is high.

Depual has a new(ish) arena.

All of the other teams have either recent success and/or rabid fanbases (at least, in their local areas).

I don't see what our justification is. Even MSG has become something of a laughing stock in the basketball world (not our fault - thank Dolan, and the NBA Lottery system for that).

Agree the fans need to be given a lot more before you can justify steep increases. However, MSG has become a laughingstock in the basketball world? That's silly IMO. It's one of the premier places to watch any event...in the world. Probably top 3 in the nation at absolute worst. The reason free agents steer clear of the Knicks is James Dolan, not MSG. As long as Dolan is heading operations, the Knicks are guaranteed to fail.

I just fear that future recruits are going to see the Barclays Center as the place to be, in this town. A lot of star power on the Nets, now. If they have success, win a championship, and make several deep playoff runs, MSG could be relegated to second class, at least in the basketball world. Every high school recruit's dream is to be a star in the NBA. With all that star power on the Nets, recruits are more likely to gravitate to that place, IMO, unless RJ Barrett is the real deal (I don't think he is, but I've been wrong before).

The Knicks are in purgatory, the Rangers are in rebuild (though they will be better this year), and college hoops stinks in this town (Syracuse can only play there so often). Other then the monthly Billy Joel concert, MSG really does not have much of anything going for it right now (and why would you go to that if you're not a Billy Joel fan? - for the record, I go at least once a year, sometimes twice).

I'm not even a Knicks fan but the Knicks are the Knicks and the Garden is the Garden. A few years of over the age of 30 Kyrie and Durant off an Achilles snapping aren't going to change that.
The following user(s) said Thank You: bamafan, sjc88, Rob, PharmDJohnnie11, Mike Zaun

Season Tickets 3 months 4 weeks ago #355744

• Mike Zaun
  • Thank you received: 1143
Not sure if anyone else has tried the new Red Storm Pass...I did this past season and loved it. You basically get a mini pack of 5 games at a time (usually people pick the premier MSG games) for a highly discounted rate. I split one with a friend and ended up paying something like $80 for 5 good games all in the 100 level of MSG. Compare that to one game where you can easily pay $80 for the 1 ticket for similar seats plus the ridiculous stubhub/ticketmaster transaction fees. There's always another $30-40 in fees it's absurd. Red Storm Pass also gives you the best available seats for that price! I'm assuming they're doing it again this year but not positive.

I hope attendance is not awful now after these insane increases. You have an unknown coaching staff (to our fans), there's very little chance we sniff postseason contention, and they still sell popcorn at CA as the best it gets with Little League stand food. And you will go home with your back aching! At SUNY Binghamton I went to a game in their recently built new stadium and it was so comfortable with all seat backs and they actually had 21st century D1 level food choices. I know they get state money but you get my point.

Season Tickets 3 months 4 weeks ago #355745

• Knight
  • Thank you received: 1237
I think last year's increase in attendance is giving SJU officials the wrong impression. I think I may view games on TV instead of attending in person.
The following user(s) said Thank You: bamafan

Season Tickets 3 months 4 weeks ago #355748

• Monte
  • Thank you received: 2057
Not sure how I wound up with a post about Trump earlier on this thread. Someone hack my account??? Anyhow this was all the reason I needed to say sayonara to my season tickets. Ridiculous to do this now to our long suffering loyal fan base. They probably figured that with all the hype and excitement over the CMA hiring, now was the time to capitalize. And I call "bullshit" on the use of the word "donation". They should have just said "we're raising ticket prices 40%". I still wouldn't have renewed, but at least I wouldn't have felt like they were trying to scam me. Like our newest recruit, I'm dunn.
The following user(s) said Thank You: bamafan

Season Tickets 3 months 4 weeks ago #355754

• austour
  • Thank you received: 870

Knight wrote: I think last year's increase in attendance is giving SJU officials the wrong impression. I think I may view games on TV instead of attending in person.

There will be plenty of ways to get cheap tickets to MSG games I'm sure, possible CA as well if a large number decide the season tix donation and price increases are not worth it.

This may be a misstep by Cragg. He's used to being at a school with a highly affluent, highly engaged, highly loyal Alumni group. Yes Duke support has been strengthened by their huge level of success and their relatively small venue but most Power 5 schools have a largeish group of loyal alumni who will by tix every year and support the program unconditionally. Schools will give up a certain portion of season ticket sales to justify the huge margins/revenue generation of programs like this based on that guaranteed group of customers. Just don't think STJ has the support to make it work.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Paultzman, Moose, bamafan, Andrew

Season Tickets 3 months 4 weeks ago #355757

• Rob
  • Thank you received: 164
We shall see. I'm not an alumni, just a fan my whole life along with various members of my family, friends and extended family. We've never purchased season tickets, but choose instead to attend many games buying tickets off the secondary market. In some years, that was probably a more cost effective option. In other years, we probably paid well in excess of what season tickets cost. I'm considering buying season tickets this year, even with the rate hikes, because on comparison to most NY sporting events it costs peanuts for what I usually find to be an enjoyable atmosphere with friends and family (debacles like the Prov game last year aside, and even that I attended with poster here using his seats, and had fun afterwards with friends).

Season Tickets 3 months 4 weeks ago #355774

• bamafan
  • Thank you received: 1745
As Kramer said in the Master of Your Domain episode of Seinfeld - I'm out!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Monte

Season Tickets 3 months 4 weeks ago #355784

• JohnnyFan
  • Thank you received: 2288
The only way I am in is if a chairback seat opens up. At a certain age, I decided no more bleacher seats.

One way or the other, I'll be at every game because it's an addiction!

Last edit: by JohnnyFan.
Moderators: mkras99SJUFAN2espkengmanlawmanfankranmarsOhioFanotisredmannorthKnight