Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Heron at Pan Am Training

Heron at Pan Am Training 4 weeks 1 day ago #354911

• SJU85
  • Thank you received: 489

Adam wrote: I'm a bit confused, he's on Team USA? The same Team USA that the top pros play on every 4 years for the Olympics? That doesn't sound right, unless the team has a bunch of reserves that don't end up playing. No disrespect to Heron obviously as I wouldn't expect any college player to be on that team.

Yes, USA Basketball sends out teams every year for different competition. This time its the Pan American games, which they use college players for and yes, for whatever event they are representing the USA, they are Team USA. Just like the U-19 Team that played this summer.

The pros only get called for the Olympics and maybe the World Championships.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Adam

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Heron at Pan Am Training 4 weeks 1 day ago #354914

• Logen
  • Thank you received: 1187

Paultzman wrote: Nice short interview with a very mature, bright young man;

Paultzman, well said. And thanks
The following user(s) said Thank You: Paultzman

Heron at Pan Am Training 4 weeks 1 day ago #354915

• austour
  • Thank you received: 798

SJU85 wrote:

Adam wrote: I'm a bit confused, he's on Team USA? The same Team USA that the top pros play on every 4 years for the Olympics? That doesn't sound right, unless the team has a bunch of reserves that don't end up playing. No disrespect to Heron obviously as I wouldn't expect any college player to be on that team.

Yes, USA Basketball sends out teams every year for different competition. This time its the Pan American games, which they use college players for and yes, for whatever event they are representing the USA, they are Team USA. Just like the U-19 Team that played this summer.

To add this year's Pan Am games team is made up entirely of returning Big East players I believe and coached by Cooley. Willard is one of the AC's. The other is the coach of Brown.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Adam

Heron at Pan Am Training 4 weeks 1 day ago #354917

• knockout_ned
  • Thank you received: 32

austour wrote:

SJU85 wrote:

To add this year's Pan Am games team is made up entirely of returning Big East players I believe and coached by Cooley. Willard is one of the AC's. The other is the coach of Brown.

There is actually two or three who graduated this past year or earlier. I know Wideman from Butler is one.

Heron at Pan Am Training 4 weeks 1 day ago #354918

• Adam
  • Thank you received: 1019

austour wrote:

SJU85 wrote:

Thanks for the clarification. I didn't realize Team USA constantly plays and it makes sense that the players would change based on level of opponent/tournament. I remember hearing about this at the beginning of the year but didn't understand it at the time. Great that Heron gets to play for them.

Heron at Pan Am Training 4 weeks 1 day ago #354926

• Paultzman
  • Paultzman's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 13629
Final: Team USA 102, East Cost Team 64; Nate Watson with 13 points; AJ Reeves with 10 points; David Duke with 6 points and 9 assists; Alpha Diallo with 4 points and 6 rebounds #pcbb #friars

Brendan McGair

Last edit: by Paultzman.

Heron at Pan Am Training 4 weeks 1 day ago #354930

• RedStorm80
  • Thank you received: 20
Was at the scrimmage tonight, physically Heron is significantly slimmer then he was last year
The following user(s) said Thank You: mjmaherjr, redken, NCJohnnie, BrooklynRed

Heron at Pan Am Training 4 weeks 1 day ago #354935

• knockout_ned
  • Thank you received: 32

RedStorm80 wrote: Was at the scrimmage tonight, physically Heron is significantly slimmer then he was last year

Did he start? Any update hoe he played?

Heron at Pan Am Training 4 weeks 1 day ago #354940

• Andrew
  • Thank you received: 831
I am so impressed with Heron. The maturity he is showing is refreshing. Really rooting for him to have a big year and I am sure he will.
The following user(s) said Thank You: isham, Paultzman

Heron at Pan Am Training 4 weeks 18 hours ago #354945

• Paultzman
  • Paultzman's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 13629

Moderators: mkras99SJUFAN2espkengmanlawmanfankranmarsOhioFanotisredmannorthKnight

Follow redmen.com on Twitter