Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:
  • 1
  • 2

TOPIC: Can CMA Turn SJU Around Article

Can CMA Turn SJU Around Article 3 months 1 week ago #354241

  • Paultzman
  • Paultzman's Avatar Topic Author
  • Offline
  • Posts: 23849
  • Thank you received: 14393
The following user(s) said Thank You: redmannorth, SJU85, Red2395, MarkRedman, Frank61, Coaster, capmaker, QueensBall, NCJohnnie, Tommy O 54

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Can CMA Turn SJU Around Article 3 months 1 week ago #354244

  • Mike Zaun
  • Mike Zaun's Avatar
  • Offline
  • Posts: 1913
  • Thank you received: 1080
Had a very knowledgeable Arkansas fan msg me a long, detailed description on his take on CMA and how he was when he was there. Very interesting and I will post here later for all to see. Overall the vibes are: no nonsense, won't always land the big guys but seems to get a lot out of 3 star kids, very likable, etc. Doesn't seem to have any tolerance for drama which is nice. I hope the recruiting comment becomes irrelevant given that NY/NJ/CT is a more fertile basketball recruiting area than Arkansas. Whatever our class looks like in 2020 will tell us all we need to know IMO in terms of how much the effort is actually paying off.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Can CMA Turn SJU Around Article 3 months 1 week ago #354246

  • redmannorth
  • redmannorth's Avatar
  • Offline
  • Posts: 3773
  • Thank you received: 2312

Mike Zaun wrote: Had a very knowledgeable Arkansas fan msg me a long, detailed description on his take on CMA and how he was when he was there. Very interesting and I will post here later for all to see. Overall the vibes are: no nonsense, won't always land the big guys but seems to get a lot out of 3 star kids, very likable, etc. Doesn't seem to have any tolerance for drama which is nice. I hope the recruiting comment becomes irrelevant given that NY/NJ/CT is a more fertile basketball recruiting area than Arkansas. Whatever our class looks like in 2020 will tell us all we need to know IMO in terms of how much the effort is actually paying off.


Agree with everything you say except for the last sentence. Effort does not necessarily translate in success. The staff started very late for the class of 2020 and are playing catch up versus other teams. They are behind the 8 ball to start. It certainly appears they are putting in maximum effort to date on all fronts. I personally see CMA chasing his top targets around this enormous gym in Hoover Alabama. They know he is there, his eyes follow the target. Will that translate to a top 25 class, I have no clue. But as has been previously said all hands are on deck and working hard.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Section3, SJUNC, Paultzman, mjmaherjr, redken, MarkRedman, Frank61, RedStormRising, panther2, NCJohnnie and 1 other people also said thanks.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Can CMA Turn SJU Around Article 3 months 1 week ago #354248

  • bamafan
  • bamafan's Avatar
  • Away
  • Posts: 5955
  • Thank you received: 1658
North, are you staying in Hoover for SEC Media Days starting Monday? ;) :)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Can CMA Turn SJU Around Article 3 months 1 week ago #354249

  • MarkRedman
  • MarkRedman's Avatar
  • Offline
  • Posts: 3839
  • Thank you received: 1395
North is spot on. CMA is clearly starting behind the 8 ball in terms of 2020 recruiting. However, he has an excellent and experienced staff and they are all highly visible at all of the major summer events and are going to pull out all the stops to try and bring in a solid class.

I have a lot of confidence in this staff and believe that, in time, they will get the job done
The following user(s) said Thank You: redmannorth, Frank61

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Can CMA Turn SJU Around Article 3 months 1 week ago #354250

  • redmannorth
  • redmannorth's Avatar
  • Offline
  • Posts: 3773
  • Thank you received: 2312

bamafan wrote: North, are you staying in Hoover for SEC Media Days starting Monday? ;) :)


No, I will go back home Sunday night when the Gauntlet ends.
The following user(s) said Thank You: bamafan

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Can CMA Turn SJU Around Article 3 months 1 week ago #354253

  • Frank61
  • Frank61's Avatar
  • Offline
  • Posts: 1049
  • Thank you received: 348
I thought is was an objective article, that came to a very realistic conclusion.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Can CMA Turn SJU Around Article 3 months 1 week ago #354254

  • Mike Zaun
  • Mike Zaun's Avatar
  • Offline
  • Posts: 1913
  • Thank you received: 1080

redmannorth wrote:

Mike Zaun wrote: Had a very knowledgeable Arkansas fan msg me a long, detailed description on his take on CMA and how he was when he was there. Very interesting and I will post here later for all to see. Overall the vibes are: no nonsense, won't always land the big guys but seems to get a lot out of 3 star kids, very likable, etc. Doesn't seem to have any tolerance for drama which is nice. I hope the recruiting comment becomes irrelevant given that NY/NJ/CT is a more fertile basketball recruiting area than Arkansas. Whatever our class looks like in 2020 will tell us all we need to know IMO in terms of how much the effort is actually paying off.


Agree with everything you say except for the last sentence. Effort does not necessarily translate in success. The staff started very late for the class of 2020 and are playing catch up versus other teams. They are behind the 8 ball to start. It certainly appears they are putting in maximum effort to date on all fronts. I personally see CMA chasing his top targets around this enormous gym in Hoover Alabama. They know he is there, his eyes follow the target. Will that translate to a top 25 class, I have no clue. But as has been previously said all hands are on deck and working hard.


Agreed that effort doesn't always equal success. Didn't intend that...just that we will see if the hard work pays off or if it doesn't. I don't expect to get blue chip recruits, but I do hope to see real chemistry and a real team effort playing well together knowing their roles. I don't think any SJ team I've followed since 2011 when I really paid close attention has had that. We would have athletes and good recruits, but it never seemed to run like a well-oiled machine. Hope to see lots of 3* skilled players with high basketball IQ get coached up clearly.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Can CMA Turn SJU Around Article 3 months 1 week ago #354255

  • redmannorth
  • redmannorth's Avatar
  • Offline
  • Posts: 3773
  • Thank you received: 2312
For whatever it is worth numerous coaches are staying at our hotel and yesterday I see one from a fellow BE school whom I met many years ago on a Friday night at a Christmas tournament in Montreal when Glenn Braica asked me to go watch Danny Greens brother ( sorry I forget his name ). I told Glenn Forget about Green Paris Horne is the kid you want. This coach was at a much smaller school then and came North to recruit another kid whom he eventually got.
I introduced myself to him and reminded him of when we met about 13 years ago. After a minute or two he says you are the St. John’s guy.
Prior to my sons game yesterday afternoon he comes to chat with me again and points to CMA who was sitting close to him. Says to me your coaching search ended with a home run. Goes on to say he is a real winner. And not only that but he hired an excellent staff.
Again one mans opinion but this is a life time college coach with 30 years of experience.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Section3, Room112, Paultzman, mjmaherjr, Tonyinfairfield , section10, redken, Moose, IDRAFT, Frank61 and 14 other people also said thanks.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Can CMA Turn SJU Around Article 3 months 1 week ago #354275

  • Mike Zaun
  • Mike Zaun's Avatar
  • Offline
  • Posts: 1913
  • Thank you received: 1080
As promised, from an Arkansas fan:

He’s really able to connect with kids. He is going to get every ounce of effort out of every player on the roster. Mike is no nonsense and will truly be a father figure to his guys. He walks softly, but he carries a big stick for sure. I am excited to see how his system translates to the Big East, where it seems like the officials “let them play” a little bit more. Not sure what the coaching culture is like up there, but Mike runs a clean program. Mike wouldn’t stoop down and play the game in today’s win-at-all-cost culture of SEC basketball with the Caliparis, Bruce Pearls, and Will Wades which was a blessing and a curse. We lost out on some players that we normally would get but Mike was still able to go out and get the guys that fit his system and beat those guys anyway.

I will admit that Mike makes some in-game decisions that can be head scratching to the common basketball fan, but I promise you it has a purpose. He doesn’t fit in the mold of the common basketball coach. The entire system is about wear and tear on the opponent. If a game is close in the last 5-7 minutes, or if you’re down by a few points, Mike is going to unleash the piranhas and you’ll see the Johnnies go on a big run to either seal the game or get back into it. We called this “The Breaking Point.” In the last 5 minutes when their star players are grabbing the bottoms of their shorts, we’ll be grabbing the rims. 85-90% of the time Mike’s teams are going to be in better physical condition than whoever they’re playing.

It’s a fun style of basketball, but early on without “his” players, instead of 40 minutes of hell it could be “20 minutes of hell and 20 minutes of what the hell,” but he’ll get his pieces in place eventually, especially with the coaching staff he’s assembled. Enjoy him. I’m hoping I’ll be able to make it up to NYC over the years for a couple of games.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Section3, redmannorth, Paultzman, MCNPA, capmaker, bamafan, romiSJU, richard A Steinfeld, JohnnyFan, Patrick C ripdumaine and 3 other people also said thanks.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

  • Page:
  • 1
  • 2
Moderators: mkras99SJUFAN2espkengmanlawmanfankranmarsOhioFanotisredmannorthKnight