Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: St Johns fans in the craziest of places

St Johns fans in the craziest of places 1 week 4 days ago #353968

  • mjmaherjr
  • mjmaherjr's Avatar Topic Author
  • Offline
  • Posts: 11270
  • Thank you received: 3537
RMN will appreciate this since he ran into a bunch of CMA fans when he was at his kids basketball games on long island a couple of weeks ago.

Anyway the other day we are at the 15 Moai on Easter Island literally one of the most remote places on earth. Of course I'm wearing SJU Sweatshirt and Hat. There is probably only maybe 30 or so people there for sunrise pictures. A guy walks up to me and says " Hey St Johns !! ". The guy lives in St Louis but went to Kentucky. I guess he is probably in his mid 50's Kentucky is his team obviously but St Johns in his second favorite because of when Mullin played and he has been an avid fan ever since. Somehow he met Lavin a couple times and pretty much could be a member here he knows so much about the team.

Anyway here is the interest thing. He LOVES CMA. Absolutely loves the guy. Somehow he met him also but he follows SEC hoops etc and said he couldn't be more excited with us getting him. Says expect some growing pains but for the team to be playing a lot better toward the second half of the season. It wouldn't even be a believable story if we weren't walking downtown that nigh and Nathalie as my witness all the sudden we hear " Hey St Johns !! Again.

Stuff like this has actually happened before but this guy is hoops fanatic and I found it interesting his only connection to St Johns was Mullin playing and him becoming a fan then but that he has met CMA and seen a lot of his games
The following user(s) said Thank You: Paul Massell, sirvoo, kranmars, redmannorth, Tonyinfairfield , SJU85, redken, MarkRedman, Joe, gonzalo and 10 other people also said thanks.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

St Johns fans in the craziest of places 1 week 4 days ago #353971

  • NCJohnnie
  • NCJohnnie's Avatar
  • Offline
  • Posts: 2993
  • Thank you received: 3339
You sure do get around Mike - Easter Island!
Never thought I'd have anything in common with a UK fan, but since he roots for Johnnies as second team I can forgive his being a UK fan, especially since he went there.
The following user(s) said Thank You: mjmaherjr

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

St Johns fans in the craziest of places 1 week 4 days ago #353972

  • mjmaherjr
  • mjmaherjr's Avatar Topic Author
  • Offline
  • Posts: 11270
  • Thank you received: 3537

NCJohnnie wrote: You sure do get around Mike - Easter Island!
Never thought I'd have anything in common with a UK fan, but since he roots for Johnnies as second team I can forgive his being a UK fan, especially since he went there.

Haa yeah thanks we kinda get around. Credit to Nathalie originally to be honest because she’s the one that inspired me to want to travel. I have a super crazy story it’s not related to St. John’s but there is no r&p forum so I’ll try and put it on this thread maybe tomorrow or the all things maher thread. :). Btw any soccer fans please root for Peru tomorrow against Brazil in Copa finals. First time since 75 making finals and this is like Brooklyn Cyclones bs Yankees. Back in Lima today to be here for the game tomorrow. Its insane here right now in anticipation and the funny thing is water got cut off for over half of Lima till Monday to work on some pipe connection. No mas showers

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last edit: by mjmaherjr.

St Johns fans in the craziest of places 1 week 4 days ago #353973

  • Paul Massell
  • Paul Massell's Avatar
  • Offline
  • Posts: 4497
  • Thank you received: 1664
next time you are there, bring a very large redmen hat for one of those heads
“Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity.”
The following user(s) said Thank You: mjmaherjr, fan5577

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

St Johns fans in the craziest of places 1 week 4 days ago #353975

  • Section9
  • Section9's Avatar
  • Offline
  • Posts: 1690
  • Thank you received: 372

mjmaherjr wrote:

NCJohnnie wrote: You sure do get around Mike - Easter Island!
Never thought I'd have anything in common with a UK fan, but since he roots for Johnnies as second team I can forgive his being a UK fan, especially since he went there.

Haa yeah thanks we kinda get around. Credit to Nathalie originally to be honest because she’s the one that inspired me to want to travel. I have a super crazy story it’s not related to St. John’s but there is no r&p forum so I’ll try and put it on this thread maybe tomorrow or the all things maher thread. :). Btw any soccer fans please root for Peru tomorrow against Brazil in Copa finals. First time since 75 making finals and this is like Brooklyn Cyclones bs Yankees. Back in Lima today to be here for the game tomorrow. Its insane here right now in anticipation and the funny thing is water got cut off for over half of Lima till Monday to work on some pipe connection. No mas showers


Were there any casualties on the field or in the stands when they beat Chile?
Hope you get to toast Peru with a few Pisco sours when they upset Brazil.:)
The following user(s) said Thank You: mjmaherjr

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

St Johns fans in the craziest of places 1 week 4 days ago #353976

  • Class of 72
  • Class of 72's Avatar
  • Offline
  • Posts: 7827
  • Thank you received: 3007

Paul Massell wrote: next time you are there, bring a very large redmen hat for one of those heads


He wore the wrong hat but got the shirt colors right.

[/quote]
All characters and events depicted in this post are entirely fictitious. Any similarity to actual events or persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental. 
The following user(s) said Thank You: mjmaherjr, SJU85, NCJohnnie

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

St Johns fans in the craziest of places 1 week 4 days ago #353977

  • redmaninalbany
  • redmaninalbany's Avatar
  • Offline
  • Posts: 1015
  • Thank you received: 56
So, last month I was traveling through Budapest, Prague, and Viennaa.
I had on a shirt with a SJU label and sure eough someone on the street walking opposite me, see it, and yells out:
“LETS GO REDMEN”
There is no place on earth we can’t find some Redmen fans....at least for a few more decades.Hopefully St John’s fans will go on forever.
The following user(s) said Thank You: mjmaherjr, SJU85, Andrew, NCJohnnie

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last edit: by redmaninalbany.

St Johns fans in the craziest of places 1 week 4 days ago #353979

  • Tonyinfairfield
  • Tonyinfairfield 's Avatar
  • Offline
  • Posts: 2723
  • Thank you received: 357
As a lot of you know, many people who shop at Stew Leonards often take pictures of themselves throughout the world with a Stew
Leonards shopping bag. We should start such a tradition and anytime we come across a St. John’s fan wherever we travel, we should take a selfie with that fan. :-) Wearing our SJU gear, of course.
The following user(s) said Thank You: mjmaherjr

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

St Johns fans in the craziest of places 1 week 4 days ago #353981

  • mjmaherjr
  • mjmaherjr's Avatar Topic Author
  • Offline
  • Posts: 11270
  • Thank you received: 3537

Section9 wrote:

mjmaherjr wrote:

NCJohnnie wrote: You sure do get around Mike - Easter Island!
Never thought I'd have anything in common with a UK fan, but since he roots for Johnnies as second team I can forgive his being a UK fan, especially since he went there.

Haa yeah thanks we kinda get around. Credit to Nathalie originally to be honest because she’s the one that inspired me to want to travel. I have a super crazy story it’s not related to St. John’s but there is no r&p forum so I’ll try and put it on this thread maybe tomorrow or the all things maher thread. :). Btw any soccer fans please root for Peru tomorrow against Brazil in Copa finals. First time since 75 making finals and this is like Brooklyn Cyclones bs Yankees. Back in Lima today to be here for the game tomorrow. Its insane here right now in anticipation and the funny thing is water got cut off for over half of Lima till Monday to work on some pipe connection. No mas showers


Were there any casualties on the field or in the stands when they beat Chile?
Hope you get to toast Peru with a few Pisco sours when they upset Brazil.:)

on Chile keep in mind we are in hangs roa they couldn’t have been more gracious but in Peru now Pisco spurs are flowing nonstop till gametime :) Easter Island people a lot different than mainland chileans. They are real mellow and super nice

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last edit: by mjmaherjr.

St Johns fans in the craziest of places 1 week 4 days ago #353985

  • mjmaherjr
  • mjmaherjr's Avatar Topic Author
  • Offline
  • Posts: 11270
  • Thank you received: 3537

Class of 72 wrote:

Paul Massell wrote: next time you are there, bring a very large redmen hat for one of those heads


He wore the wrong hat but got the shirt colors right.

[/quote] awesome pic btw

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Moderators: mkras99SJUFAN2espkengmanlawmanfankranmarsOhioFanotisredmannorthKnight

Follow redmen.com on Twitter