Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Big man for 2019-20

Big man for 2019-20 2 weeks 2 days ago #353786

• Jeff Smith
  • Jeff Smith's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 15
Did we get one yet? If not, any idea when?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Big man for 2019-20 2 weeks 2 days ago #353787

• gman
  • Thank you received: 607

Big man for 2019-20 2 weeks 2 days ago #353791

• Jeff Smith
Aren't we looking to add one more?

Big man for 2019-20 2 weeks 2 days ago #353792

• Paul Massell
  • Thank you received: 1667
Sears is listed at 6'7. In a recent team photo he looks like he could actually be a little taller than that but regardless we will be undersized again (ugh!) and if we won't see Steere until January that is even smaller. Won't be as bad as last season with our guards defending 7 footers and other huge guys but will still be frustrating every time we are stuck in half court play. I sure hope Sears' knee won't be an issue. A one year, true big man would be useful for this season and an injury or two away from Heron playing spots at the 4/5. I don't want to see that...
“Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity.”
The following user(s) said Thank You: redken, Jeff Smith

Big man for 2019-20 2 weeks 2 days ago #353793

• Jeff Smith
That's the answer I was looking for.

Big man for 2019-20 2 weeks 2 days ago #353794

• Mario
  • Thank you received: 49
Anyone know if there are any stokes on the fire?

Big man for 2019-20 2 weeks 2 days ago #353797

• Beast of the East
  • Thank you received: 2594

Paul Massell wrote: Sears is listed at 6'7. In a recent team photo he looks like he could actually be a little taller than that but regardless we will be undersized again (ugh!) and if we won't see Steere until January that is even smaller. Won't be as bad as last season with our guards defending 7 footers and other huge guys but will still be frustrating every time we are stuck in half court play. I sure hope Sears' knee won't be an issue. A one year, true big man would be useful for this season and an injury or two away from Heron playing spots at the 4/5. I don't want to see that...

Our strength is typically undersized teams that don't shoot well, don't take care of the ball, and get beat off the dribble on defense. The downside is we don't come up big in crunch time.

Big man for 2019-20 2 weeks 2 days ago #353800

• L J S A
  • Thank you received: 2208
Grabbing a big man for the sake of grabbing one doesn't help us at all. It's already July, so who would we actually be able to add who wouldn't be a stiff? I really appreciate Sears for coming aboard, but I really don't think he gives us much of what shows up in a box score. So unless we find a guy who is better than that, there's no point in wasting a scholarship.

I'm eager to see what JR can do.
The following user(s) said Thank You: redmannorth, Paultzman, JohnnyFan

Big man for 2019-20 2 weeks 2 days ago #353804

• Paul Massell
  • Thank you received: 1667

L J S A wrote: Grabbing a big man for the sake of grabbing one doesn't help us at all. It's already July, so who would we actually be able to add who wouldn't be a stiff? I really appreciate Sears for coming aboard, but I really don't think he gives us much of what shows up in a box score. So unless we find a guy who is better than that, there's no point in wasting a scholarship.

So seeing the brace on Sears knee doesn't make you a bit anxious even after last season with Keita? I think adding a real big even if he plays 3 minutes per game is a good idea. Curtis Johnson could barely run the floor but he was a spark off the bench and changed the flow of more than one game.
“Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity.”
The following user(s) said Thank You: NCJohnnie

Big man for 2019-20 2 weeks 2 days ago #353812

• L J S A
  • Thank you received: 2208

Paul Massell wrote:

L J S A wrote: Grabbing a big man for the sake of grabbing one doesn't help us at all. It's already July, so who would we actually be able to add who wouldn't be a stiff? I really appreciate Sears for coming aboard, but I really don't think he gives us much of what shows up in a box score. So unless we find a guy who is better than that, there's no point in wasting a scholarship.

So seeing the brace on Sears knee doesn't make you a bit anxious even after last season with Keita? I think adding a real big even if he plays 3 minutes per game is a good idea. Curtis Johnson could barely run the floor but he was a spark off the bench and changed the flow of more than one game.

I think it makes more sense to have LJ at PF with Wright at SF than it does to have LJ at SF and a garbage player at PF if we are running short on bodies. I'd even put Caraher there before digging through the big man scrap heap in July. I haven't given up on Earlington year either. But if someone wants to direct me toward a list of fifth-year bigs still in transfer pool I'd take a look and admit if my opinion changes. I just don't want to be stuck with a two-year commitment.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Amaseinyourface

Moderators: mkras99SJUFAN2espkengmanlawmanfankranmarsOhioFanotisredmannorthKnight

Follow redmen.com on Twitter