Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Message from Coach Anderson

Message from Coach Anderson 1 week 2 days ago #351754

  • SJUFAN2
  • SJUFAN2's Avatar
  • Offline
  • Posts: 527
  • Thank you received: 355

Class of 72 wrote: In his first year Mullin was all over NYC and local events. Then two things happened the following summer. He blackballed Slice and he sold his Long island home and his wife and daughter moved back to California.

And despite all that, he still had the balls to ask for an extension... :pinch:

Class of 72 wrote: The rest is history.


And so is he...
The topic has been locked.

Message from Coach Anderson 1 week 2 days ago #351766

  • newsman13
  • newsman13's Avatar
  • Offline
  • Posts: 1067
  • Thank you received: 71
I guess this is another chance to take a shot at Mullin. To me, he was a great representative of what has been a long time mediocre program. He couldn't fix it. No one has been able to. Not him; not Lavin; not Jarvis. Coach Anderson has shown himself to be a class act...but if you think he can do better than these gentlemen, you're in for a rude awakening.

I watched Arkansas play a "classic" game last night against Mississippi State. It was from this past season. Arkansas was coming off a six game losing streak in conference. They eked out a win by a point. Here's what I saw...

Here's a universal...you need good players to win. His players were only okay...maybe two and three star types. I can't say they were coached up because I didn't know what their skill sets were when they got to Arkansas.

The announcers said Anderson... much as anyone else these days...was unable to hold on to his players with many of the good ones leaving early. It's a trend he hasn't been able to buck.

Anderson was far from animated. He was glued to his seat for most of the game.

Coach ran the huddle. The players were into the game.

Anderson seemed to use most of his bench. I couldn't really tell because I don't know the players.

There was no "40 minutes of hell" unless you count what the fans were going through.

Here's hoping..
The topic has been locked.

Message from Coach Anderson 1 week 2 days ago #351767

  • Knight
  • Knight's Avatar
  • Offline
  • Posts: 4999
  • Thank you received: 1054
The performance of CMA and staff, thus far, is running rings around the previous staff.
The topic has been locked.

Message from Coach Anderson 1 week 2 days ago #351773

  • Logen
  • Logen's Avatar
  • Offline
  • Posts: 2851
  • Thank you received: 1029

newsman13 wrote: I guess this is another chance to take a shot at Mullin. To me, he was a great representative of what has been a long time mediocre program. He couldn't fix it. No one has been able to. Not him; not Lavin; not Jarvis. Coach Anderson has shown himself to be a class act...but if you think he can do better than these gentlemen, you're in for a rude awakening.

I watched Arkansas play a "classic" game last night against Mississippi State. It was from this past season. Arkansas was coming off a six game losing streak in conference. They eked out a win by a point. Here's what I saw...

Here's a universal...you need good players to win. His players were only okay...maybe two and three star types. I can't say they were coached up because I didn't know what their skill sets were when they got to Arkansas.

The announcers said Anderson... much as anyone else these days...was unable to hold on to his players with many of the good ones leaving early. It's a trend he hasn't been able to buck.

Anderson was far from animated. He was glued to his seat for most of the game.

Coach ran the huddle. The players were into the game.

Anderson seemed to use most of his bench. I couldn't really tell because I don't know the players.

There was no "40 minutes of hell" unless you count what the fans were going through.

Here's hoping..


Well, most open minded people will give MA a reasonable chance to succeed or fail on his merits. Not judging him on the merits of previous coaches or from watching one game on television while acknowledging your ignorance of almost everything about the team. As far as 40 MOH, I think MA was quite candid in the podcast yesterday that he will coach to the strengths and weaknesses of his team; it seems obvious that is his preferred style but he strikes me as a pro’s pro, which is a breath of fresh air to me. To you and others, you are more than entitled to give your opinion but why not give the man a chance?
The following user(s) said Thank You: redmannorth, Paultzman, redmanwest, sjc88, ron
Last edit: by Logen.
The topic has been locked.

Message from Coach Anderson 1 week 1 day ago #351778

  • newsman13
  • newsman13's Avatar
  • Offline
  • Posts: 1067
  • Thank you received: 71

Logen wrote:

newsman13 wrote: I guess this is another chance to take a shot at Mullin. To me, he was a great representative of what has been a long time mediocre program. He couldn't fix it. No one has been able to. Not him; not Lavin; not Jarvis. Coach Anderson has shown himself to be a class act...but if you think he can do better than these gentlemen, you're in for a rude awakening.

I watched Arkansas play a "classic" game last night against Mississippi State. It was from this past season. Arkansas was coming off a six game losing streak in conference. They eked out a win by a point. Here's what I saw...

Here's a universal...you need good players to win. His players were only okay...maybe two and three star types. I can't say they were coached up because I didn't know what their skill sets were when they got to Arkansas.

The announcers said Anderson... much as anyone else these days...was unable to hold on to his players with many of the good ones leaving early. It's a trend he hasn't been able to buck.

Anderson was far from animated. He was glued to his seat for most of the game.

Coach ran the huddle. The players were into the game.

Anderson seemed to use most of his bench. I couldn't really tell because I don't know the players.

There was no "40 minutes of hell" unless you count what the fans were going through.

Here's hoping..


Well, most open minded people will give MA a reasonable chance to succeed or fail on his merits. Not judging him on the merits of previous coaches or from watching one game on television while acknowledging your ignorance of almost everything about the team. As far as 40 MOH, I think MA was quite candid in the podcast yesterday that he will coach to the strengths and weaknesses of his team; it seems obvious that is his preferred style but he strikes me as a pro’s pro, which is a breath of fresh air to me. To you and others, you are more than entitled to give your opinion but why not give the man a chance?


I'm giving him a chance...but I'm tempering expectations.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Monte
The topic has been locked.

Message from Coach Anderson 1 week 1 day ago #351781

  • SJUFAN2
  • SJUFAN2's Avatar
  • Offline
  • Posts: 527
  • Thank you received: 355

newsman13 wrote: ...but I'm tempering expectations.


Is that really necessary? I mean, who's left in this fan base that has absurd expectations for this program at this point? Anyone who has lived through the last 10, 20, 30, 40, 50 years of this program has ZERO reason to have unrealistic expectations. If anything you should be trying to lift their spirits, not tamp them down. Lord knows we could use the optimism.

My expectations at this point are:
1- That we employ a staff that works its collective ass off to recruit
2- That staff can build and sustain a program to a level that is competitive in the BE.
3- They run a clean program I can take pride in.
4- They don't do anything, or allow players to do things, that will embarrass the program (further).

If I temper them any more I'm going to have to start rooting for a high school program.
The following user(s) said Thank You: newsman13, redmannorth, Paultzman, mjmaherjr, Class of 72, sjc88, Andrew, JohnnyFan, Knight, Chicago Days
The topic has been locked.

Message from Coach Anderson 1 week 1 day ago #351787

  • Logen
  • Logen's Avatar
  • Offline
  • Posts: 2851
  • Thank you received: 1029

newsman13 wrote:

Logen wrote:

newsman13 wrote: I guess this is another chance to take a shot at Mullin. To me, he was a great representative of what has been a long time mediocre program. He couldn't fix it. No one has been able to. Not him; not Lavin; not Jarvis. Coach Anderson has shown himself to be a class act...but if you think he can do better than these gentlemen, you're in for a rude awakening.

I watched Arkansas play a "classic" game last night against Mississippi State. It was from this past season. Arkansas was coming off a six game losing streak in conference. They eked out a win by a point. Here's what I saw...

Here's a universal...you need good players to win. His players were only okay...maybe two and three star types. I can't say they were coached up because I didn't know what their skill sets were when they got to Arkansas.

The announcers said Anderson... much as anyone else these days...was unable to hold on to his players with many of the good ones leaving early. It's a trend he hasn't been able to buck.

Anderson was far from animated. He was glued to his seat for most of the game.

Coach ran the huddle. The players were into the game.

Anderson seemed to use most of his bench. I couldn't really tell because I don't know the players.

There was no "40 minutes of hell" unless you count what the fans were going through.

Here's hoping..


Well, most open minded people will give MA a reasonable chance to succeed or fail on his merits. Not judging him on the merits of previous coaches or from watching one game on television while acknowledging your ignorance of almost everything about the team. As far as 40 MOH, I think MA was quite candid in the podcast yesterday that he will coach to the strengths and weaknesses of his team; it seems obvious that is his preferred style but he strikes me as a pro’s pro, which is a breath of fresh air to me. To you and others, you are more than entitled to give your opinion but why not give the man a chance?


I'm giving him a chance...but I'm tempering expectations.


So, paraphrasing, you start by stating that Mullin, Lavin and Jarvis couldn’t fix a mediocre program. Then you state,and I quote-“but if you think he can do better than these gentlemen, you’re in for a rude awakening.” Sorry that is a definitive conclusion and is about as far as you can get from merely “tempering expectations.”
The topic has been locked.

Message from Coach Anderson 1 week 1 day ago #351793

  • newsman13
  • newsman13's Avatar
  • Offline
  • Posts: 1067
  • Thank you received: 71
I'm tempering expectations for the gee whizzers who under the mistaken belief that Nolan Richardson is in the house. Coach Anderson is bringing in two and three star recruits and already there are dozens of you humping his leg. Can we at least wait until next season?

It's nothing against Coach Anderson. There's a line in "The Talented Mr. Ripley" that goes "It's better to be a fake somebody than a real nobody". St John's by staying in the Big East is that fake somebody. This has nothing to do with Coach Anderson, who seems to be an extremely hard worker who's doing his best. More often than not, St John's has proven to be a real nobody.
The topic has been locked.

Message from Coach Anderson 1 week 1 day ago #351794

  • Logen
  • Logen's Avatar
  • Offline
  • Posts: 2851
  • Thank you received: 1029

newsman13 wrote: I'm tempering expectations for the gee whizzers who under the mistaken belief that Nolan Richardson is in the house. Coach Anderson is bringing in two and three star recruits and already there are dozens of you humping his leg. Can we at least wait until next season?

It's nothing against Coach Anderson. There's a line in "The Talented Mr. Ripley" that goes "It's better to be a fake somebody than a real nobody". St John's by staying in the Big East is that fake somebody. This has nothing to do with Coach Anderson, who seems to be an extremely hard worker who's doing his best. More often than not, St John's has proven to be a real nobody.


Absolutely no one, including me is humping his leg. Suggesting you give him a chance a bit longer than two months is humping his leg? You can quote dopey movies all you want but you really take take bitter, unreasonableness and negativity to art forms!!!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Knight
The topic has been locked.

Message from Coach Anderson 1 week 1 day ago #351795

  • sjc88
  • sjc88's Avatar
  • Offline
  • Posts: 1387
  • Thank you received: 425
I don’t know how but this thread went from a nice gesture from our new Coach to tempering expectations that don’t exist.
I won’t speak (or pretend to) for everyone but most posts I read have been a debate about if we can get to .500 and possibly 6 or 7 BE wins. I have no delusions that next year isn’t going to be tough. I think that was true even if nothing changed from last season. I don’t recall any big recruits coming in to save the day.
I will say that I hope to be pleasantly surprised. Then again I say that every year. I am also hoping that Coach MA is given a fair shake. Lord knows he had nothing to do with the 30 fruitless years since I graduated from SJU (give or take a surprise or two). Maybe it’s me but he deserves are support until he proves otherwise. It’s all I got.
The following user(s) said Thank You: SJUFAN2, redmannorth, Paultzman, Andrew, Chicago Days
Last edit: by sjc88.
The topic has been locked.
Moderators: mkras99SJUFAN2espkengmanlawmanfankranmarsOhioFanotisredmannorthKnight

Follow redmen.com on Twitter