Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Off Season Tidbits 1 year 3 months ago #351987

  • bamafan
  • bamafan's Avatar
  • Offline
  • Posts: 6708
  • Thank you received: 2349
Scandal happened after Jarvis was fired.
The following user(s) said Thank You: fuchsia

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Off Season Tidbits 1 year 3 months ago #351989

  • Knight
  • Knight's Avatar
  • Offline
  • Posts: 6034
  • Thank you received: 1743

bamafan wrote: Scandal happened after Jarvis was fired.


Abe Keita?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Off Season Tidbits 1 year 3 months ago #351991

  • bamafan
  • bamafan's Avatar
  • Offline
  • Posts: 6708
  • Thank you received: 2349

Knight wrote:

bamafan wrote: Scandal happened after Jarvis was fired.


Abe Keita?

No. Pittsburgh

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Off Season Tidbits 1 year 3 months ago #351992

  • SJUFAN2
  • SJUFAN2's Avatar
  • Offline
  • Posts: 1417
  • Thank you received: 1360

bamafan wrote: Scandal happened after Jarvis was fired.


Yeah, you are right. Should have caught that. but trying to multi task.

My bad. Apologies for conflating that issue with the timing of his firing.
The following user(s) said Thank You: bamafan

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Off Season Tidbits 1 year 3 months ago #351993

  • Logen
  • Logen's Avatar
  • Offline
  • Posts: 3448
  • Thank you received: 1866

SJUFAN2 wrote:

Logen wrote:

SJUFAN2 wrote:

Andrew wrote: For some reason we had attendance that we haven’t seen in years last season. I guess Mullin had nothing to do with that.....


He definitely deserves some credit for the good attendance figures for most of this past season. I applaud him for doing a solid job on that front. His numbers last year are very much in line with what we expect, and what we had in Lavin's last season.

Tell me though, who do you want to assign the blame to for the not so rosy attendance figures in his first 3 seasons after inheriting a team that went to the NCAA tournament?


I have no problem with you bashing Mullin, I took Lavin to the cleaners many times and the fact is Mullin was not a good coach. I understand his personal problems but frankly, if they affected his ability to do the job he was paid to do he should have resigned for those personal reasons. Having said that, what does what the team did the preceding year have to do with Mullin's first year since none of the members of that NCAA team were available to him? I guess one could argue Obepka but even that is a huge stretch. There is enough to criticize him legitimately without distorting what he inherited.


I'm not bashing Mullin. I'm just pointing out to those who can't, or won't see it, that the "emperor had no clothes". If people stop spinning him as something he wasn't as a coach, I'll stop calling them out on their BS...fair?

And you have a very fair point. If someone had mentioned that he'd taken over a team that had lost nearly all of its players then I'd have agreed with that. He did. That's why I really don't hold his first year against him, other than it was foreshadowing of things to come.

My argument was against the claim that he took over a program "in the toilet." He didn't. You would think a guy with his name recognition, player work ethic, iconic local stature, hoops knowledge, and with two ELITE college recruiters on his staff taking over a team that had just been to the NCAA tournament would be a recipe for SUCCESS. Yet it wasn't. It was actually a pretty dismal failure.

You know why I think that it failed, but perhaps I'm wrong. Tell me why you think that scenario above flopped the way it did.


Frankly, not sure of your point, seems to me you are calling out BS with BS. You still insist on listing the previous NCAA tournament appearance as relevant and to me that is complete BS. Me, I think Mullin failed simply because he wasn’t a coach. He approached the job as what he was since retirement, an administrator. That role became easier to fall back on once his personal issues surfaced.As for your other points, we disagree on one for sure, Rohressen, IMO, was never an elite recruiter, he was a bag man. Biggest mistake we made was hiring him.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Off Season Tidbits 1 year 3 months ago #351995

  • Paultzman
  • Paultzman's Avatar Topic Author
  • Away
  • Posts: 27215
  • Thank you received: 20186

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Off Season Tidbits 1 year 3 months ago #352000

  • newsman13
  • newsman13's Avatar
  • Away
  • Posts: 1164
  • Thank you received: 176

Logen wrote:

SJUFAN2 wrote:

Logen wrote:

SJUFAN2 wrote:

Andrew wrote: For some reason we had attendance that we haven’t seen in years last season. I guess Mullin had nothing to do with that.....


He definitely deserves some credit for the good attendance figures for most of this past season. I applaud him for doing a solid job on that front. His numbers last year are very much in line with what we expect, and what we had in Lavin's last season.

Tell me though, who do you want to assign the blame to for the not so rosy attendance figures in his first 3 seasons after inheriting a team that went to the NCAA tournament?


I have no problem with you bashing Mullin, I took Lavin to the cleaners many times and the fact is Mullin was not a good coach. I understand his personal problems but frankly, if they affected his ability to do the job he was paid to do he should have resigned for those personal reasons. Having said that, what does what the team did the preceding year have to do with Mullin's first year since none of the members of that NCAA team were available to him? I guess one could argue Obepka but even that is a huge stretch. There is enough to criticize him legitimately without distorting what he inherited.


I'm not bashing Mullin. I'm just pointing out to those who can't, or won't see it, that the "emperor had no clothes". If people stop spinning him as something he wasn't as a coach, I'll stop calling them out on their BS...fair?

And you have a very fair point. If someone had mentioned that he'd taken over a team that had lost nearly all of its players then I'd have agreed with that. He did. That's why I really don't hold his first year against him, other than it was foreshadowing of things to come.

My argument was against the claim that he took over a program "in the toilet." He didn't. You would think a guy with his name recognition, player work ethic, iconic local stature, hoops knowledge, and with two ELITE college recruiters on his staff taking over a team that had just been to the NCAA tournament would be a recipe for SUCCESS. Yet it wasn't. It was actually a pretty dismal failure.

You know why I think that it failed, but perhaps I'm wrong. Tell me why you think that scenario above flopped the way it did.


Frankly, not sure of your point, seems to me you are calling out BS with BS. You still insist on listing the previous NCAA tournament appearance as relevant and to me that is complete BS. Me, I think Mullin failed simply because he wasn’t a coach. He approached the job as what he was since retirement, an administrator. That role became easier to fall back on once his personal issues surfaced.As for your other points, we disagree on one for sure, Rohressen, IMO, was never an elite recruiter, he was a bag man. Biggest mistake we made was hiring him.

I don't know about slice. Whatever. You're right on one point. The last NCAA appearance was relevant considering how far we came. Mullin "failed", not because he wasn't a coach...but because the mediocre standards set by our historic past was way too much to overcome. No one has done it since the Frank McGuire years. That was my point in a previous thread where you thought I was bashing Anderson. St John's isn't Duke, NC or any other elite program. Our DNA says we're mid major hiding in a major conference. When Fran/Jarvis/Lavin and Mullin got here...we were under the delusion we could become big time. It never happened. All we're left with is coaches to bash...until the next one comes along.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Off Season Tidbits 1 year 3 months ago #352001

  • SJUFAN2
  • SJUFAN2's Avatar
  • Offline
  • Posts: 1417
  • Thank you received: 1360

Logen wrote:
Frankly, not sure of your point, seems to me you are calling out BS with BS. You still insist on listing the previous NCAA tournament appearance as relevant and to me that is complete BS.


Let me explain... No, there is too much. Let me sum up...
It's not complicated. The poster I responded to said Mullin took over a program that was "in the toilet". I think we can agree that taking over a scandal free team, fresh off a successful season with a post season birth doesn't meet any sane person's definition of "in the toilet", no?
The following user(s) said Thank You: redmannorth, RedStormRising, Class of 72

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Off Season Tidbits 1 year 3 months ago #352002

  • MCNPA
  • MCNPA's Avatar
  • Offline
  • Posts: 5636
  • Thank you received: 2661

newsman13 wrote:

Logen wrote:

SJUFAN2 wrote:

Logen wrote:

SJUFAN2 wrote:

Andrew wrote: For some reason we had attendance that we haven’t seen in years last season. I guess Mullin had nothing to do with that.....


He definitely deserves some credit for the good attendance figures for most of this past season. I applaud him for doing a solid job on that front. His numbers last year are very much in line with what we expect, and what we had in Lavin's last season.

Tell me though, who do you want to assign the blame to for the not so rosy attendance figures in his first 3 seasons after inheriting a team that went to the NCAA tournament?


I have no problem with you bashing Mullin, I took Lavin to the cleaners many times and the fact is Mullin was not a good coach. I understand his personal problems but frankly, if they affected his ability to do the job he was paid to do he should have resigned for those personal reasons. Having said that, what does what the team did the preceding year have to do with Mullin's first year since none of the members of that NCAA team were available to him? I guess one could argue Obepka but even that is a huge stretch. There is enough to criticize him legitimately without distorting what he inherited.


I'm not bashing Mullin. I'm just pointing out to those who can't, or won't see it, that the "emperor had no clothes". If people stop spinning him as something he wasn't as a coach, I'll stop calling them out on their BS...fair?

And you have a very fair point. If someone had mentioned that he'd taken over a team that had lost nearly all of its players then I'd have agreed with that. He did. That's why I really don't hold his first year against him, other than it was foreshadowing of things to come.

My argument was against the claim that he took over a program "in the toilet." He didn't. You would think a guy with his name recognition, player work ethic, iconic local stature, hoops knowledge, and with two ELITE college recruiters on his staff taking over a team that had just been to the NCAA tournament would be a recipe for SUCCESS. Yet it wasn't. It was actually a pretty dismal failure.

You know why I think that it failed, but perhaps I'm wrong. Tell me why you think that scenario above flopped the way it did.


Frankly, not sure of your point, seems to me you are calling out BS with BS. You still insist on listing the previous NCAA tournament appearance as relevant and to me that is complete BS. Me, I think Mullin failed simply because he wasn’t a coach. He approached the job as what he was since retirement, an administrator. That role became easier to fall back on once his personal issues surfaced.As for your other points, we disagree on one for sure, Rohressen, IMO, was never an elite recruiter, he was a bag man. Biggest mistake we made was hiring him.

I don't know about slice. Whatever. You're right on one point. The last NCAA appearance was relevant considering how far we came. Mullin "failed", not because he wasn't a coach...but because the mediocre standards set by our historic past was way too much to overcome. No one has done it since the Frank McGuire years. That was my point in a previous thread where you thought I was bashing Anderson. St John's isn't Duke, NC or any other elite program. Our DNA says we're mid major hiding in a major conference. When Fran/Jarvis/Lavin and Mullin got here...we were under the delusion we could become big time. It never happened. All we're left with is coaches to bash...until the next one comes along.


Maybe we are due for a change? Anderson isn’t like some of the other guys we have hired. He’s got a proven track record, has hired a good staff and maybe things are turning for us. We shall see but he looks overall like a much better candidate than many of our prior coaches.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Off Season Tidbits 1 year 3 months ago #352004

  • Logen
  • Logen's Avatar
  • Offline
  • Posts: 3448
  • Thank you received: 1866

SJUFAN2 wrote:

Logen wrote:
Frankly, not sure of your point, seems to me you are calling out BS with BS. You still insist on listing the previous NCAA tournament appearance as relevant and to me that is complete BS.


Let me explain... No, there is too much. Let me sum up...
It's not complicated. The poster I responded to said Mullin took over a program that was "in the toilet". I think we can agree that taking over a scandal free team, fresh off a successful season with a post season birth doesn't meet any sane person's definition of "in the toilet", no?


Well “in the toilet” is a very subjective, interpretive term. If one takes it to mean we had no legitimate D1 players returning, “ in the toilet” is very apt. I think your insistence that the previous years results had any bearing on the program’s state the following year is more “insane.” We just disagree.
The following user(s) said Thank You: section10, jackfro

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Moderators: mkras99SJUFAN2espkengmanlawmanfankranmarsOhioFanotisredmannorthKnight