Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Off Season Tidbits

Off Season Tidbits 2 months 2 weeks ago #351407

• Paultzman
  • Paultzman's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 13627

Anderson is known for setting a high bar re intensity of practices and conditioning. Not a knock at previous staffs, just opinion of those with first hand experience. It appears CMA can safely be categorized as a disciplinarian. We’ll see how that translates to having a winning program, but I welcome that.
The following user(s) said Thank You: redmannorth, SJU85, redken, Moose, JackofVirginia, gonzalo, Coaster, Class of 72, Amaseinyourface, Andrew and 5 other people also said thanks.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last edit: by Paultzman.

Off Season Tidbits 2 months 1 week ago #351628

• Paultzman
The following user(s) said Thank You: Moose, gonzalo, Chicago Days

Off Season Tidbits 2 months 1 week ago #351647

• Mike Zaun
  • Thank you received: 1063
McGriff said on Twitter he was very sore, so I'll take that as a good thing. I think Anderson can do quite well here if he proves he can get the occasional 4 star kid here once he has time to get in on the ground level of these recruits.
The following user(s) said Thank You: redmannorth, Andrew

Off Season Tidbits 2 months 1 week ago #351651

• redmannorth
  • Thank you received: 2016

Mike Zaun wrote: McGriff said on Twitter he was very sore, so I'll take that as a good thing. I think Anderson can do quite well here if he proves he can get the occasional 4 star kid here once he has time to get in on the ground level of these recruits.

I am hoping that with all 4 coaches recruiting that we can bring in more than the occasional 4 star recruit.
In my opinion We need a player of Ponds level ( top 50 ) more than once every four years. I am hoping we can start bringing in a top 50 -100 player every season going forward. As previously mentioned for now I would avoid investing too much time and energy with the top 25 players until we can consistently flirt with top 25 rankings.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Paultzman, otis, JohnnyFan, Knight, Chicago Days, NCJohnnie

Off Season Tidbits 2 months 1 week ago #351656

• Knight
  • Thank you received: 1115
I'm impressed with the drive and commitment of the staff regarding early recruiting efforts. The staff seems well balanced and focused on constructing a roster to work CMA's 40-Minutes of Hell attack. I'm encouraged that we are on the right course, if followed, for long-term success.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Chicago Days

Off Season Tidbits 2 months 1 week ago #351657

• Logen
  • Thank you received: 1187

Knight wrote: I'm impressed with the drive and commitment of the staff regarding early recruiting efforts. The staff seems well balanced and focused on constructing a roster to work CMA's 40-Minutes of Hell attack. I'm encouraged that we are on the right course, if followed, for long-term success.

I agree and a thought came to me while reading your post, we were so conditioned to the lackluster effort of our last two staffs that we are reveling in a staff interested in working and earning their money. This is not your Chris Mullin style of coaching and hopefully we reap the rewards.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Knight, Chicago Days, Mike Zaun

Off Season Tidbits 2 months 1 week ago #351661

• Mike Zaun
  • Thank you received: 1063

Logen wrote:

Knight wrote: I'm impressed with the drive and commitment of the staff regarding early recruiting efforts. The staff seems well balanced and focused on constructing a roster to work CMA's 40-Minutes of Hell attack. I'm encouraged that we are on the right course, if followed, for long-term success.

I agree and a thought came to me while reading your post, we were so conditioned to the lackluster effort of our last two staffs that we are reveling in a staff interested in working and earning their money. This is not your Chris Mullin style of coaching and hopefully we reap the rewards.

Not all of us were "conditioned"...several of us rightfully called it out because it needed to be known it was not normal. Some were not lulled into another dimension. You work your butt off, get high character kids, play defense, stop wasting time on 5 stars going to Kentucky anyway unless they are realistic, get a great staff, and put the max effort in. The recipe for success has not changed IMO and it's no surprise. Oh, and we actually need real big men too...and no more projects. Time to get polished nearly completed products who are 6'10 or above and not sticks. I've yet to see us have any bigs in my nearly 10 years or watching closely who had any real semblance of an inside game and could routinely finish through traffic. You need some bigs to get you those hard-earned points the gritty way when the 3's aren't falling. If last season didn't prove you need at least 1 real big man with real skills and size to succeed nationally, I don't know what will. If they're 6'8 including their hair and they look like a skeleton, then hard pass.

Off Season Tidbits 2 months 1 week ago #351662

• Logen
  • Thank you received: 1187

Mike Zaun wrote:

Logen wrote:

Not all of us were "conditioned"...several of us rightfully called it out because it needed to be known it was not normal. Some were not lulled into another dimension. You work your butt off, get high character kids, play defense, stop wasting time on 5 stars going to Kentucky anyway unless they are realistic, get a great staff, and put the max effort in. The recipe for success has not changed IMO and it's no surprise. Oh, and we actually need real big men too...and no more projects. Time to get polished nearly completed products who are 6'10 or above and not sticks. I've yet to see us have any bigs in my nearly 10 years or watching closely who had any real semblance of an inside game and could routinely finish through traffic. You need some bigs to get you those hard-earned points the gritty way when the 3's aren't falling. If last season didn't prove you need at least 1 real big man with real skills and size to succeed nationally, I don't know what will. If they're 6'8 including their hair and they look like a skeleton, then hard pass.

No worries, you are never considered part of my ‘we”.

Off Season Tidbits 2 months 1 week ago #351666

• Paultzman
The following user(s) said Thank You: Andrew, Tommy O 54

Off Season Tidbits 2 months 1 week ago #351691

• MJDinkins
  • Thank you received: 1592

redmannorth wrote:

Mike Zaun wrote: McGriff said on Twitter he was very sore, so I'll take that as a good thing. I think Anderson can do quite well here if he proves he can get the occasional 4 star kid here once he has time to get in on the ground level of these recruits.

I am hoping that with all 4 coaches recruiting that we can bring in more than the occasional 4 star recruit.

Agree. Outside of Norm Roberts, St. John's has always been able to attract 4-star recruits. I don't think attracting 4-star recruits will be an issue with this staff, either. Bringing in the "occasional" 5-star recruit will suffice. But I think attracting top 50-100 players, as I mentioned yesterday, shouldn't be a problem.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Paultzman, JohnnyFan, Tommy O 54

Moderators: mkras99SJUFAN2espkengmanlawmanfankranmarsOhioFanotisredmannorthKnight

Follow redmen.com on Twitter