Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: X Factors for Next Season

X Factors for Next Season 1 week 6 days ago #351391

• Mike Zaun
  • Mike Zaun's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 1011
Was thinking about what players everyone thought were X factors to either give us a surprise contender or total letdown. For me I'd say Caraher and Wright. They both seem like great guys, however Caraher appeared significantly slower than anyone else on the court...though maybe that's not entirely fair since it was a scrimmage. I hope he pleasantly surprises us. Wright has the gaudy HS ranking...if he can be rock solid or better, then we suddenly have a nice 3 guy set of Heron, Wright, and Fig. That's what it will take IMO for us to win more than 15 games.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

X Factors for Next Season 1 week 6 days ago #351392

• redmanwest
  • Thank you received: 355
To be honest, I think that there's a much better chance to win 15 games (a pretty modest goal) than that. I think that if Heron and Figgy play like the players that they are, and we get better interior play, rebounding etc., better sets and coaching, that goal should be pretty easy to reach. The PG situation is the key I think. We need to bolster that more to get those guys the ball. I don't think you can just look at the fact that we lost Ponds, Simon and Clark and say that's a lot to replace. I think that the 2 remaining stars we have can adequately replace their production now that it is their team. We should see a completely different dynamic of hopefully more coherent and designed possessions, position-specific basketball, rebounding etc. that has been lacking. I think we've forgotten how a team "should" operate, and if we see that change, despite deficiencies, we should easily win 15 games. JMHO.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Chicago Days

X Factors for Next Season 1 week 6 days ago #351394

• Knight
  • Thank you received: 1055
Not a player, but the new system CMA will put in place. Our pressure defense will have good results and make us more competitive than most of us believe.
The following user(s) said Thank You: RedStormRising2, Sherman, Sheridan & Grant, Andrew, Chicago Days

X Factors for Next Season 1 week 6 days ago #351397

• Logen
  • Thank you received: 1029
Unless you have lay down talent a la, Duke, Kansas, Kentucky, it is how a team plays together that matters, not individual player skills. Now, obviously you need talent to succeed but we had good to very good talent last year and underachieved, getting worse as the season wore on. Poor coaching, lack of chemistry, guys playing for themselves all probably contributed but without being in the locker room, at practices, etc. it is really all speculation as to why. I will reserve judgement on anything until I see Anderson and co. put a product on the floor. I am a firm believer that it starts with chemistry and defense while most judge players almost strictly by their offensive numbers. I don't subscribe to the "everyone will be better under Anderson's system" speculation but I look at a Williams and Roberts for instance and think both could be significant contributors on a defense oriented team. We shall see, but I think next year will be very interesting and have my fingers crossed we will surprise. I think it is very possible.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Section3, redmannorth, Paultzman, redmanwest, Joe, Class of 72, Sherman, Sheridan & Grant, Andrew, JohnnyFan, Chicago Days and 1 other people also said thanks.

X Factors for Next Season 1 week 6 days ago #351398

• sjc88
  • Thank you received: 425
Unless you are picking from guys who have already played for SJU this is a fun, albeit shooting in the dark topic. I would say Greg Williams since from everything about how we think MA wants to play seems to fit with GW’s style. Very athletic, open court player.

However, it is impossible to guess on Caraher and Wright or any of the freshman for that matter. No one has really seen them play. D1 basketball is played at a different level than say high school or pick up games of a transfer at Carnesseca. Lots of unknowns with this team.

Last edit: by sjc88.

X Factors for Next Season 1 week 6 days ago #351400

• Amaseinyourface
  • Thank you received: 788
Will any of Williams, Wright, or Steere be able to get double figures on occasion. We’ll need a 3rd option as the season progresses.

X Factors for Next Season 1 week 6 days ago #351401

• Sherman, Sheridan & Grant
  • Thank you received: 828
There is also the "It" factor
(the person who commands a presence when he/she walks into a room...the person who exhibits magnetism that makes others gravitate to him...everyone wants to be on his team...everyone wants to work with him...)

My take = Mike Cragg + Mike Anderson (+ Mike Francessa lol) = the IT factor and success!
all the best
Ulysses Grant :)

Last edit: by Sherman, Sheridan & Grant.

X Factors for Next Season 1 week 6 days ago #351403

• SJU1512
  • Thank you received: 516
(1) Adding a starting caliber Big East PG capable of being the #3 behind Figgy and Heron (easier said than done obviously); and

(2) Steere, Williams, Wright, and Roberts capable of being a legitimate #4-8 to fill out the rotation (far more confident in this transpiring).

If those two things happen and we stay healthy I like our chances of finishing something besides last in the conference and having good springboard type Year 1 of Anderson era, as opposed to total rebuild exercise. Something probably right in the middle of Lavin's magical first year and Mullin's disastrous first year (through no fault of his own, but brutal nonetheless).
The following user(s) said Thank You: Paultzman, bamafan, Chicago Days

Last edit: by SJU1512.

X Factors for Next Season 1 week 6 days ago #351413

• Red2395
  • Thank you received: 17
I think Graig Williams is going to surprise a lot of people next year and step up his game to me he’s going to be our third option
The following user(s) said Thank You: Coaster

X Factors for Next Season 1 week 6 days ago #351421

• Andrew
  • Thank you received: 812
Have to agree that system and of course defense will be looking for. Will be tough to win a lot without good point guard play so defense will be even more important. I think Ellington is going to surprise. Not talking all conference numbers but a contributor.

Moderators: mkras99SJUFAN2espkengmanlawmanfankranmarsOhioFanotisredmannorthKnight

Follow redmen.com on Twitter