Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Jeff Goodman's Preseason Top 25

Jeff Goodman's Preseason Top 25 3 months 2 weeks ago #351102

  • Eric
  • Eric's Avatar
  • Offline
  • Posts: 447
  • Thank you received: 235
As for st johns, nobody can say how many we will win yet as the team is still evolving with new parts and a new coaching staff.

Maybe the only thing one can say with a small amount of certainty is that we will be 500 or better overall considering thats all coach anderson has known in his head coaching career.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last edit: by Eric.

Jeff Goodman's Preseason Top 25 3 months 2 weeks ago #351106

  • NCJohnnie
  • NCJohnnie's Avatar
  • Away
  • Posts: 3084
  • Thank you received: 3443
Big East was down last year and will be much better this year. In addition to the 4 Goodman has in his top 25, I expect both Gtown and PC to have very good teams. We lost one of the best scorers and passers we've had in years plus the Big East defensive POY. I'd be happy with an above .500 finish and trip to the NIT in 2019 while building a culture of exciting basketball and team play.
I agree with 72 that we will have better depth but unless we land a solid PG to add to what we have, we will struggle to be close to .500 in BE play imho. While Wright & Steere may wind up being very good pieces for us, we haven't seen them do it yet so always a question mark until they do.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Jeff Goodman's Preseason Top 25 3 months 2 weeks ago #351110

  • Class of 72
  • Class of 72's Avatar
  • Offline
  • Posts: 7854
  • Thank you received: 3036

NCJohnnie wrote: Big East was down last year and will be much better this year. In addition to the 4 Goodman has in his top 25, I expect both Gtown and PC to have very good teams. We lost one of the best scorers and passers we've had in years plus the Big East defensive POY. I'd be happy with an above .500 finish and trip to the NIT in 2019 while building a culture of exciting basketball and team play.
I agree with 72 that we will have better depth but unless we land a solid PG to add to what we have, we will struggle to be close to .500 in BE play imho. While Wright & Steere may wind up being very good pieces for us, we haven't seen them do it yet so always a question mark until they do.


Mcgriff has held his own against some of the best point guards in prep ball so at worst he can do 20 minutes at point. Heron, Steere, Wright were all 5 & 4 star players. All the rest were 3 star players. Add another piece or two and we have a decent.500 or better team. The big difference will be in coaching and that may be a very big difference.
Other than the JC kid who is going pro after his one all American year at Nebraska and the Rockaway kid who may decide to re-commit, the previous staff had no one of impact or significance coming in. Matt was a one man show and he took his balls and left.
So, can any of you bemoaning our future season imagine what it would have looked like with the previous staff?
All characters and events depicted in this post are entirely fictitious. Any similarity to actual events or persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental. 
The following user(s) said Thank You: Fred Solomon

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last edit: by Class of 72.

Jeff Goodman's Preseason Top 25 3 months 2 weeks ago #351133

  • Beast of the East
  • Beast of the East's Avatar
  • Offline
  • Posts: 10876
  • Thank you received: 2689

Class of 72 wrote:

Beast of the East wrote: looks like this will be a tough season for our guys to win more than 6 or 7 games in conference, but some of you may know better.


Maybe the next 2019 player addition will change that. IMO the only significant loss was Shamorie Ponds and to some extent Justin. The season is a long way off.


And Clark, and Keita, the only big man who got minutes. Actually we are down (ponds, keita, clark, simon, and Trimble) 5 of our 7 rotation players.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Jeff Goodman's Preseason Top 25 3 months 2 weeks ago #351134

  • Beast of the East
  • Beast of the East's Avatar
  • Offline
  • Posts: 10876
  • Thank you received: 2689

Eric wrote: As for st johns, nobody can say how many we will win yet as the team is still evolving with new parts and a new coaching staff.

Maybe the only thing one can say with a small amount of certainty is that we will be 500 or better overall considering thats all coach anderson has known in his head coaching career.


I'm going to go out on a limb, that if any season breaks that run, it will be next season for him.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Jeff Goodman's Preseason Top 25 3 months 2 weeks ago #351136

  • bamafan
  • bamafan's Avatar
  • Offline
  • Posts: 5916
  • Thank you received: 1636

Class of 72 wrote:

sjc88 wrote:

Class of 72 wrote:

Beast of the East wrote: looks like this will be a tough season for our guys to win more than 6 or 7 games in conference, but some of you may know better.


Maybe the next 2019 player addition will change that. IMO the only significant loss was Shamorie Ponds and to some extent Justin. The season is a long way off.

Going to be tough sledding in 2019 for SJU. I would like the team to develop into the team nobody wants to play. We’ll see.


Eli Wright, Heron, Figueroa and Steere along with Williams will do just fine against most teams. There will actually be depth for the first time in 4 years. It will be the first time in 4 years we have actual coaches. Recruiting is not over. No way we win just 6 games.

We always think and say we have depth every year and then we see the players play and realize we do not. You named probably our 5 best players, beyond that I will wait and see. Now if we add 1or 2 proven players before next season may be a different story.
The following user(s) said Thank You: sjc88, NCJohnnie

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Jeff Goodman's Preseason Top 25 3 months 2 weeks ago #351148

  • Moose
  • Moose's Avatar
  • Away
  • Posts: 9654
  • Thank you received: 2748

Beast of the East wrote:

Eric wrote: As for st johns, nobody can say how many we will win yet as the team is still evolving with new parts and a new coaching staff.

Maybe the only thing one can say with a small amount of certainty is that we will be 500 or better overall considering thats all coach anderson has known in his head coaching career.


I'm going to go out on a limb, that if any season breaks that run, it will be next season for him.


Ever cross a street when it said do not walk ?
The following user(s) said Thank You: Amaseinyourface

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Jeff Goodman's Preseason Top 25 3 months 2 weeks ago #351151

  • Chicago Days
  • Chicago Days's Avatar
  • Offline
  • Posts: 4651
  • Thank you received: 2551

Beast of the East wrote:

Eric wrote: As for st johns, nobody can say how many we will win yet as the team is still evolving with new parts and a new coaching staff.

Maybe the only thing one can say with a small amount of certainty is that we will be 500 or better overall considering thats all coach anderson has known in his head coaching career.


I'm going to go out on a limb, that if any season breaks that run, it will be next season for him.


I count it as losing 6 of our 'top 8' from last season's roster as I include Dixon, who transferred mid-year.
I do think that if we can get that 'mystery' seasoned Grad T. PG, we'll be 'competitive' in a very tough Big East.
Here's hoping for the best...

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Jeff Goodman's Preseason Top 25 3 months 2 weeks ago #351184

  • austour
  • austour's Avatar
  • Offline
  • Posts: 5353
  • Thank you received: 804

Beast of the East wrote:

Class of 72 wrote:

Beast of the East wrote: looks like this will be a tough season for our guys to win more than 6 or 7 games in conference, but some of you may know better.


Maybe the next 2019 player addition will change that. IMO the only significant loss was Shamorie Ponds and to some extent Justin. The season is a long way off.


And Clark, and Keita, the only big man who got minutes. Actually we are down (ponds, keita, clark, simon, and Trimble) 5 of our 7 rotation players.


But besides that they return everyone.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Beast of the East

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Jeff Goodman's Preseason Top 25 3 months 2 weeks ago #351187

  • Class of 72
  • Class of 72's Avatar
  • Offline
  • Posts: 7854
  • Thank you received: 3036

Beast of the East wrote:

Class of 72 wrote:

Beast of the East wrote: looks like this will be a tough season for our guys to win more than 6 or 7 games in conference, but some of you may know better.


Maybe the next 2019 player addition will change that. IMO the only significant loss was Shamorie Ponds and to some extent Justin. The season is a long way off.


And Clark, and Keita, the only big man who got minutes. Actually we are down (ponds, keita, clark, simon, and Trimble) 5 of our 7 rotation players.


That Keita and Trimble were rotation players was part of the problem and their leaving is now part of the solution. Had Mullin stayed on as coach my guess is we could have lost all 3 freshmen AND Keita, Ponds and Clark. Heron showed no growth whatsoever under the tutelage of Mitch Richmond.
I think we can be as good a team as last year if we add one more piece. For the first time in 4 years I feel optimistic.
All characters and events depicted in this post are entirely fictitious. Any similarity to actual events or persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental. 
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jnaw17, Fred Solomon

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last edit: by Class of 72.
Moderators: mkras99SJUFAN2espkengmanlawmanfankranmarsOhioFanotisredmannorthKnight