Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: NBA Lottery

NBA Lottery 6 days 14 hours ago #349107

• sjc88
  • Thank you received: 380
Great but you are proving my point. What are the odds Kawhi is signing with NO?? No chance. He’s in a great spot in Toronto. Canada all too himself is a pretty big market and he still wants LA. Word is the Clippers are the favorites.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

NBA Lottery 6 days 13 hours ago #349110

• Mike Zaun
  • Thank you received: 997
The league definitely shot itself in the foot. Even in the age of social media where you don't need to rely on big markets as much for exposure, it still definitely matters IMO. New York is where you become a legend and a god. Derek Jeter on the Diamondbacks is a shell of himself in terms of stature vs. the Yankees. Mariano on the D'Backs is a really good closer...but not a legend. The market still plays a significant role in how you're perceived.

NBA Lottery 6 days 13 hours ago #349111

• Moose
  • Thank you received: 2173

Mike Zaun wrote: The league definitely shot itself in the foot. Even in the age of social media where you don't need to rely on big markets as much for exposure, it still definitely matters IMO. New York is where you become a legend and a god. Derek Jeter on the Diamondbacks is a shell of himself in terms of stature vs. the Yankees. Mariano on the D'Backs is a really good closer...but not a legend. The market still plays a significant role in how you're perceived.

Take your NY/LA glasses off. There are 28 other teams in the NBA. They would be up in arms bitching and moaning if NY and LA got Zion. Its a fair system. Likely a system MLB and the NFL should adopt as now the NHL and NBA have minimized tanking.

NBA Lottery 6 days 12 hours ago #349116

• Mike Zaun
  • Thank you received: 997

Moose wrote:

Mike Zaun wrote: The league definitely shot itself in the foot. Even in the age of social media where you don't need to rely on big markets as much for exposure, it still definitely matters IMO. New York is where you become a legend and a god. Derek Jeter on the Diamondbacks is a shell of himself in terms of stature vs. the Yankees. Mariano on the D'Backs is a really good closer...but not a legend. The market still plays a significant role in how you're perceived.

Take your NY/LA glasses off. There are 28 other teams in the NBA. They would be up in arms bitching and moaning if NY and LA got Zion. Its a fair system. Likely a system MLB and the NFL should adopt as now the NHL and NBA have minimized tanking.

The NBA is unwatchable IMO as currently constructed. Zero loyalty anymore, players changing teams like they change clothes, divas left and right, no defense, and 4-5 all star teams vs. everyone else. I realize I'm biased as a Knicks fan in suburban NYC, but if they're going to keep this style they need to get the Knicks back somehow some way. The recent rule change to prevent tanking went way, way too far and it's killing the league even more. The Knicks can beat themselves up quite easily, we don't need the NBA making things even harder than they already are. What a miserable franchise...NY sports are in the basement nationally and for a while now if you remove exceptions like the Yanks and Giants a few years. Look at cities like Philly and Boston. Not just 1 team contending...almost all are. And not just to make the playoffs, they compete for rings. Dolan needs to sell this team before he ruins KD and Kyrie. I have no doubt in my mind he is more than capable of that. The Knicks are so cursed even Jordan in his prime would tank.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Sal Meli

NBA Lottery 6 days 12 hours ago #349117

• Porgyman
  • Thank you received: 108

Mike Zaun wrote: The NBA deserves this with how stupid the change was. As I said I think there should be something where they take the past 3 seasons cumulatively into consideration. In other words, if teams tank it's usually just for a year to get a top player. It's much more unlikely they'd tank purposely 3 straight years. At the same time, you want to boost the teams with losing cultures to make things interesting especially with huge market teams like the Knicks. Whomever has the worst 3 year window to that point should have a very very good chance of getting the 1st pick. This prevents most tanking and still boosts the Knicks and others. You could see on Zion's face that he was pissed. Honestly I don't think Morant or Barrett will amount to much more than perhaps solid NBA players but not stars. Zion was the only one who had a chance rendering anything but the 1st pick meaningless IMO. We already have solid young guys, we need star power.

I also propose a type A/type B classification for all players. I know there are some dicey aspects here i.e. how do you define them, but it could be done. It should be called the "Superteam Rule" and only allow a certain number of type A stars e.g. Durant, LeBron, etc. to be on the same team. No more "big 3" BS. Of course they will get the occasional lucky team like the Blazers (go Mo!), but we all know the Warriors will win anyway. It becomes 4 or 5 defacto all star teams against everyone else. It's basically a pyramid where the top 25 players are on the top 5 teams instead of spread out. LeBron, Wade, Bosh, Allen shouldn't have been allowed. I'd rather see most teams have at least 1 legit type A guy than a few teams have all the type A's giving everyone else no chance.

It's stuff like this that makes the NBA unwatchable and the Knicks being cursed doesn't help at all. I'm glad the Knicks landed top 3 at least, but as the old adage goes "never the bride always the bridesmaid". IMO no team should be allowed to get two 1st overall picks within a handful or so of years.

Fixes to the NBA:
1. Enforce traveling more
2. Type A/Type B designations with trades/FA to prevent superteams and divas
3. Make the odds to get the 1st overall pick harder for teams who just got 1 a handful of yrs ago
4. Consider 3 yr windows with combined records and make it almost certain a team that has been awful 3 straight yrs gets 1st overall pick.

In what world would the players association agree toType A/Type B designations? Right now the current collective bargaining agreement has been a home run for both owners and players. Revenues are at record levels, and the sharing agreement leads to increases in the cap. There is no way that either wants to upset the apple cart.

NBA Lottery 6 days 12 hours ago #349118

• L J S A
  • Thank you received: 2120
Zion won't end up being the top player to come out of this draft, so not sure what all the complaining is about.

NBA Lottery 6 days 11 hours ago #349122

• SJ_NYC
  • Thank you received: 164

sjc88 wrote: Great but you are proving my point. What are the odds Kawhi is signing with NO?? No chance. He’s in a great spot in Toronto. Canada all too himself is a pretty big market and he still wants LA. Word is the Clippers are the favorites.

I'm presuming that the Toronto team, as presently constructed can't beat the Golden State Warriors. My presumption, is not exactly going out on a limb. K Leonard will be a star just fine in Toronto. If he wants to win a championship then he's probably got to pair up with at least another star. An easy fit would be in NO.

Last edit: by SJ_NYC.

NBA Lottery 5 days 8 hours ago #349369

• Jack Williams
  • Jack Williams's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 1183

I call BS on that. Especially in the NBA. Baseball is different because it’s boring and most people aren’t gonna watch you if you’re on a small market team.

But LeBron James got Cleveland popping. Cleveland. When it’s all said and done we will remember LeBron James as a Cleveland cavalier.

Giannis is next up in the eastern conference and he plays for the Bucks.

The problem with Zion going to the pelicans isn’t that it will prevent him from being viewed as a great. If he is a great he will he seen that way. The problem is we very well might have a situation much like LeBrons first stint in Cleveland here. Where Zion is great but he can’t win a title cause no one wants to join him in NO. Personally I’m excited because those early lebron years where one kid was desperately trying to win essentially on his own was pretty fun to watch. Zion might be in the same boat

NBA Lottery 5 days 8 hours ago #349371

• Chicago Days
  • Thank you received: 2422

L J S A wrote: Zion won't end up being the top player to come out of this draft, so not sure what all the complaining is about.

Who do you think will be, LJSA? Ja Morant? Just curious. I've got no view on this.

NBA Lottery 5 days 7 hours ago #349384

• L J S A
  • Thank you received: 2120

Chicago Days wrote:

L J S A wrote: Zion won't end up being the top player to come out of this draft, so not sure what all the complaining is about.

Who do you think will be, LJSA? Ja Morant? Just curious. I've got no view on this.

I think Morant, Barrett, and Bol Bol if healthy all have better careers. I wouldn't want to be the GM who won the lottery and then risked my career by not picking Zion, though. If he flames out, it's nothing all the other teams would not have done.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Andrew, Chicago Days

Moderators: mkras99SJUFAN2espkengmanlawmanfankranmarsOhioFanotisredmannorthKnight

Follow redmen.com on Twitter