Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: RIP Mickey Crowley

RIP Mickey Crowley 1 week 2 days ago #348755

• Red Bloods
  • Thank you received: 32

SJU85 wrote:

Red Bloods wrote:

Knight wrote: I thought Mickey was a terrific ref and gave us the benefit of the doubt most times.

Now THAT’s funny.

I think Looie and any fan who sat court side would tell u the exact opposite.

A guy who use to sit behind me would always yell “It was a charge Mickey” at every game he did at Alumni.
Crowley was hated inside Alumni Hall.

I think I remember that guy. Kind of heavy-set guy who sat like 5th Row mid-court. He absolutely despised him. Could have been a lot of people though. lol

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

RIP Mickey Crowley 1 week 2 days ago #348768

• salty dog
  • Thank you received: 26

Red Bloods wrote:

Las Vegan wrote:

SJU85 wrote:

Paultzman wrote: Gave us more than s few breaks along the way. RIP

Not the Cuse game when he called a foul on Reggie Carter instead of a charge on Louis Orr.

I remember one game where we are blowing out an opponent, a walk on (Ron DeQuiroz?) was at the scorer's table waiting to get in, but

there was no stop in play for a couple of minutes. Crowley comes up limping and blows his whistle. One of the other officials came over and

asked him if he was okay. He said he was fine but just wanted to get the kid at the scorer's table in. A class act.

RIP

He called a tech on Frank Gilroy, in that Syracuse game, that was as bad as the Singleton tech call vs Duke.

I was literally a little kid but I still remember going to that game with my father. Alumni held like 6,000 at the time but there was at least another couple hundred more people in there than that imo. You couldn’t get another person in there with a shoe-horn. Remember they were giving out these big buttons that said - “Redmen SQUEEZE the Orange!” lol. Crowley is lucky he got out of there alive that night. Also remember from then on he would always get booed before each Home game after that. Used to hate him with a passion and sorry but I remember him calling many BS calls against us in our own gym. And he basically handed that game to the ‘Cuse that night.

That being said it was a long time ago and I don’t wish bad upon him anymore. My condolences go out to his family and may God rest his soul.

Not quite Rencher missing the one on one cost the game He hits them it’s over
The following user(s) said Thank You: terrificboss

RIP Mickey Crowley 1 week 2 days ago #348787

• Las Vegan
  • Thank you received: 188
Does anyone recall where both teams were ranked that Sat. afternoon? I think both top five in country. With respect to the late ref Crowley, I thought it was the other ref, an upstate guy, who made that fateful call to end the game.

RIP Mickey Crowley 1 week 2 days ago #348807

• TheSummit
  • Thank you received: 30
It was the referee from upstate NY that called the block on Reggie Carter. Don't remember his name, but I will never forget that play. Worst call vs us until the end of game call this past season at Seton Hall. Mickey Crowley was not well liked by SJU fans, but Burr and Higgins made far more bad calls against SJU than Crowley, as was said earlier.

RIP Mickey Crowley 1 week 2 days ago #348809

• bamafan
  • Thank you received: 1494

TheSummit wrote: It was the referee from upstate NY that called the block on Reggie Carter. Don't remember his name, but I will never forget that play. Worst call vs us until the end of game call this past season at Seton Hall. Mickey Crowley was not well liked by SJU fans, but Burr and Higgins made far more bad calls against SJU than Crowley, as was said earlier.

That call remains the worst call against us because of it's importance. Cost us an undefeated, first place by ourselves season in the first year of the BE conference as I recall not to mention it was against the Case who was our biggest rival at the time and for many years to come.

RIP Mickey Crowley 1 week 1 day ago #348819

• Red Bloods
  • Thank you received: 32

salty dog wrote:

Red Bloods wrote:

Las Vegan wrote:

SJU85 wrote:

Paultzman wrote: Gave us more than s few breaks along the way. RIP

Not the Cuse game when he called a foul on Reggie Carter instead of a charge on Louis Orr.

I remember one game where we are blowing out an opponent, a walk on (Ron DeQuiroz?) was at the scorer's table waiting to get in, but

there was no stop in play for a couple of minutes. Crowley comes up limping and blows his whistle. One of the other officials came over and

asked him if he was okay. He said he was fine but just wanted to get the kid at the scorer's table in. A class act.

RIP

He called a tech on Frank Gilroy, in that Syracuse game, that was as bad as the Singleton tech call vs Duke.

I was literally a little kid but I still remember going to that game with my father. Alumni held like 6,000 at the time but there was at least another couple hundred more people in there than that imo. You couldn’t get another person in there with a shoe-horn. Remember they were giving out these big buttons that said - “Redmen SQUEEZE the Orange!” lol. Crowley is lucky he got out of there alive that night. Also remember from then on he would always get booed before each Home game after that. Used to hate him with a passion and sorry but I remember him calling many BS calls against us in our own gym. And he basically handed that game to the ‘Cuse that night.

That being said it was a long time ago and I don’t wish bad upon him anymore. My condolences go out to his family and may God rest his soul.

Not quite Rencher missing the one on one cost the game He hits them it’s over

Don’t remember that. Probably because I was so young & never forget my father cursing the refs on the way home.lol

Remember as a student meeting Mr. Rencher years later on campus. Very nice guy and a class act. Probably better I didn’t remember those missed free throws. ; )

RIP Mickey Crowley 1 week 15 hours ago #349024

• gonzalo
  • Thank you received: 178

Las Vegan wrote: Does anyone recall where both teams were ranked that Sat. afternoon? I think both top five in country. With respect to the late ref Crowley, I thought it was the other ref, an upstate guy, who made that fateful call to end the game.

The game was played on Feb 16, 1980.
SJU was ranked #7 and Syracuse was #2.

www.sports-reference.com/cbb/seasons/1980-polls.html
The following user(s) said Thank You: Las Vegan

Moderators: mkras99SJUFAN2espkengmanlawmanfankranmarsOhioFanotisredmannorthKnight

Follow redmen.com on Twitter